PDA

View Full Version : Nose first

Jeffjmr
09-02-2016, 06:56 PM
I have been hand lubing my boolits that don't need sizing, but as I widen my repertoire of calibers, that is becoming impractical.

So I know I need to spring for a lubrisizer, but I just can't get past the idea of sizing them upside down with all the top punch drama, when it seems so much more logical to me to use a flat ram and put them in nose first.

I realize that is what the Star does, but my wallet isn't quite ready for that.

So, here and there I have spotted hints of modding the conventional 45/450, RCBS and Redding units for nose first or but no consensus on which is easiest to convert, nor a detailed explanation on how to do it. I don't think I like the press idea as I want to go the stick-lube route.

Anyone out there "been there done that"?

Thanks,
Jeff

VHoward
09-02-2016, 07:14 PM
You would have to make a longer punch and modify the return mechanism as you are trying to line up the lube grooves with the holes in the sizing die. You would still end up with lube on the noses as these type machines feed the lube by constant pressure from the lube reservoir.

Ken in Iowa
09-02-2016, 07:45 PM
You could also tumble lube and use Lee sizing dies.
OB

After using a lubrisizer for a while, I'm moving this way myself. 45-45-10 is working great on my 38 Specials.

Walter Laich
09-02-2016, 08:01 PM
there is always powder coating. very inexpensive to get started.

There is a sub forum on it

blikseme300
09-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I have been hand lubing my boolits that don't need sizing, but as I widen my repertoire of calibers, that is becoming impractical.

So I know I need to spring for a lubrisizer, but I just can't get past the idea of sizing them upside down with all the top punch drama, when it seems so much more logical to me to use a flat ram and put them in nose first.

I realize that is what the Star does, but my wallet isn't quite ready for that.

So, here and there I have spotted hints of modding the conventional 45/450, RCBS and Redding units for nose first or but no consensus on which is easiest to convert, nor a detailed explanation on how to do it. I don't think I like the press idea as I want to go the stick-lube route.

Anyone out there "been there done that"?

Thanks,
Jeff

Been there, done that.

Ultimately I got lucky and got my first Star for $40. Once I started using it I realized that even the price of a new one is worth it. As I cast and reload for a variety of cartridges with different molds I found that the cost of the nose punches & dies quickly wiped out the advantage of the cheaper sizer. My 2c is to bite the bullet and get a Star, you'll be happy.

4719dave
09-02-2016, 08:48 PM
There's a star for sale now that's looks brand new ...You wont be sorry .

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2016, 01:35 AM
Start saving up for a Star.

The reason you don't see any posts with detailed explanation of a conversion for the Lyman/RCBS, because I don't think anyone has done it, and if they have? it surely wouldn't be an easy proposition, the problem is, Lube pressure. The Star has a pump, the pushes just enough lube to fill the grooves. The Lyman/RCBS pressurizes the entire lube reservoir, so you'd need to depressurize it to push the boolit out/push a new one in, otherwise you'd have lube squirting into the Die inbetween the two boolits and onto the nose of the incoming boolit. A mess, to say the least.

HeavyMetal
09-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Time for my 2 cents:
I've been casting and loading since the late 60's pretty much have tried every lubing shortcut available with the exception of powder coating.

Some were OK, the rest stunk!

For me it's time versus labor versus quantity and for that the Star cannot be out done!

Now I'll add in a small test I ran in the 70's with my first Star, which I still have, 100 rounds 45 ACP SWC both batch's cast from same alloy, same day.

Batch A nose sized, batch B base sized.

In all groups fired the nose sized rounds were measurably smaller, not a lot but it could be seen and
As for converting any other sizer, I did try and realized that to get one to work like a Star I need too pull the label off whatever I was trying to convert and stick it on a Star which made the conversion so much easier,LOL!

Save your money, turn in cans and bottles but by the Star!

HM

Jeffjmr
09-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks all. I was afraid the Star was the only reasonable answer. I've been real careful in my mold choices so that sizing is rarely required, but tumble lubing just doesn't work for me.

Savings underway, (except for that nagging gun wishlist that keeps getting longer)!

Jeff

Echo
09-05-2016, 01:05 AM
You could also tumble lube and use Lee sizing dies.
OB
Plus One - I was leery of TL, but use it a lot now, w/45-45-10...

Jeffjmr
09-06-2016, 06:10 AM
How do you tumblers deal with the lube buildup in the seating die?

Jeff

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2016, 10:52 AM
How do you tumblers deal with the lube buildup in the seating die?
Jeff
Jeff,
I suspect you are putting on too much. Try to develop a technique, where you are it putting on so thin, that you can't see it, but can feel it.

When I make 45-45-10, I cook the solvents out of the JPW before I mix the recipe per Recluse. some people don't do that. Anyway, I end up with a lube that is the consistency (and color) of peanut butter. I heat 50 to 100 boolits and swirl tub with a heatgun, add a boolit sized dollop of lube, then swirl til all boolits have a coating. They dry in about 10 minutes as the boolits cool. I use to do two coats, one before sizing and one after. But now I only use this lube before sizing, then after sizing, I coat them with BLL after sizing. BLL dries in about an hour or so...they are surely overnight, and I usually let them sit overnight. I don't get any buildup in the sizing die, with either method.

kmw1954
09-06-2016, 04:20 PM
I have been thinking of trying this method. Seems to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3KnxbnHSd0

VHoward
09-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Here is JMorris' set up on his you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

kmw1954
09-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Here is JMorris' set up on his you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

Seen that one also along with one other with a Lee C press that I cannot locate again. It is automated also, though not as complex as that one.

gwpercle
09-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I use/cast boolits that have a flat spot on them....wadcutters , semi-wadcutters, round flat and truncated cone and size them all with a flat punch. I take whatever punch I have and fill it with epoxy and file/sand flat...use it for all.
Truth be known , the flat punch works just fine on round nose boolits , might leave a tiny flat spot on it but it's barely noticeable.
The flat punch also seems to let the boolit self-center better....I get far fewer misaligned boolits when sizing with a flat punch....try it !
Trying to get perfectly fitted punches for every mould will drive you to drink.....Flat is the only way to go !

The Lyman 450 lube/sizer was the best investment in reloading tools I ever made, one cycle of the handle and the bullet was sized, lubed and gas checked ...oh yeah , I'm not ever going back to tumble or pan lube.
Gary

pugjunga123
09-27-2016, 11:18 PM
Go for a Star unit.