PDA

View Full Version : I cant go but my gun is

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2016, 06:13 AM
One of the young lineman from the shop I worked out of came over today and said he was heading to Alaska to hunt moose. He wanted to know if I would sell him a 44 mag. I said I didn't have any for sale buy he could borrow my 4 5/8s super. Loaded up some 280 grain lfngc bullets at around 1200 fps for him. Said if he scored there would be some back straps in the deal for me. He invited me to go along but I just had surgery and even if I was healed I couldn't afford the trip.

6bg6ga
09-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Sounds like your gun is in for a treat. Hope your getting along ok after surgery. Take care.

Chapo
09-02-2016, 07:14 AM
I used to live in Fairbanks and moved to fl only a year ago. I wouldn't go anywhere outdoor related without my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag. The bear stopper!

CastingFool
09-02-2016, 07:32 AM
One of my two Army duffle bags went to Alaska moose hunting, too. I stayed home. A young man from work borrowed it. Unfortunately, he did not bag a moose.

randyrat
09-02-2016, 07:41 AM
My mouth is watering, you mentioned moose. How are you healing Lloyd?

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2016, 08:01 AM
getting better every day. This morning I even walked around the house a bit without even a cane.
Sounds like your gun is in for a treat. Hope your getting along ok after surgery. Take care.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-02-2016, 10:09 AM
I used to live in Fairbanks and moved to fl only a year ago. I wouldn't go anywhere outdoor related without my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag. The bear stopper!
What in Florida do you need a .44 Mag for, bear? Crocs? Anaconda?

victorfox
09-02-2016, 10:14 AM
What in Florida do you need a .44 Mag for, bear? Crocs? Anaconda?

LIBERALS!!! :mrgreen:[smilie=p: seriously, I read they have some nasty hogs in FL.

Ithaca Gunner
09-02-2016, 10:32 AM
The .44 magnum is home just about anywhere.

white eagle
09-02-2016, 10:57 AM
The .44 magnum is home just about anywhere.

Amen brother

jonp
09-02-2016, 05:40 PM
getting better every day. This morning I even walked around the house a bit without even a cane.

Make sure your gun takes some pictures for you. Friend of mine gave me some moose sausage he had made up and it was mouth watering.

Glad your doing better

dverna
09-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Is it legal to lend a pistol to someone?

Rick Hodges
09-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Is it legal to lend a pistol to someone?

Not in Michigan...to hunt with...not sure of anywhere else...

Blackwater
09-02-2016, 06:47 PM
This gittin' old really cramps a fella's lifestyle doesn't it? But ya' done good, Lloyd, and at least you'll have a vicarious thrill out of your gun going along. When he brings it back, hopefully with some backstraps, you'll get to hear a good huntin' story if he's any kind of hunter at all. Just tell him if it's a boring story to make something up. Us oldtimers need a thrill even if it's not quite 100% true! :drinks::drinks:

4719dave
09-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Snow birds ...
what in florida do you need a .44 mag for, bear? Crocs? Anaconda?

leeggen
09-03-2016, 12:15 AM
I have ran into a couple gators I wished I had a 44 with me instead of a 7 ft fishing pole! Hope you get some M. meat. A mans guns are a part of him so in away you did get to go and don't have to pack to do it. Get well!
CD

Lloyd Smale
09-03-2016, 07:41 AM
yes it is if the man in possession of it has a ccw permit. Without a consealed carry permit you are right it is not permitted

44man
09-04-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't care at all. Forget the stupid laws. Lloyd to lend a gun is so great. But how to get into Alaska?? There is Canada in between. Are airlines over Canada subject to customs? Handguns in Canada are a NO- NO.

Sweetpea
09-04-2016, 08:19 PM
I was born and bred in the mitten.

That seems so idiotic, I don't even have words.

Here I can buy and sell, to whomever, wherever I please.

I wouldn't lend a gun for a crime to be committed, but not allowed to have a lent gun to hunt with?

I suppose I would have to stick my head where the sun don't shine to try to understand it!

Lloyd Smale
09-05-2016, 05:59 AM
everyone bashes CA and ILL for there gun laws but Michigan is just about as bad. No shipping muzzleloaders without an ffl, no short barreled rifle stamps allowed, technicaly if you don't have a ccw your suppose to have your handgun registration card on you when you have your gun. Yes registration. They call it an inspection but its just a way to call a turd something different. Couple years ago they started allowing us to buy suppressors but still wont let us use them to hunt with. Many parts of the state require you to use a shotgun to hunt deer because they think were so stupid were going to shoot people with a flat shooting rifle.
I was born and bred in the mitten.

That seems so idiotic, I don't even have words.

Here I can buy and sell, to whomever, wherever I please.

I wouldn't lend a gun for a crime to be committed, but not allowed to have a lent gun to hunt with?

I suppose I would have to stick my head where the sun don't shine to try to understand it!

CastingFool
09-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Lloyd, in 2014, the shotgun only zone for deer, was re designated as the limited firearm zone. You can still use shotguns, but you can also use rifles chambered .35 cal or larger, with straight walled cases no shorter than 1.16" or longer than 1.8"

44man
09-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Mich has changed. I used to buy a $15 archery stamp but for a gun you also needed a SG stamp with a BG stamp so I never went back with a gun. I don't know today.
Come to WV and you can open carry and conceal with no license. You can conceal when hunting. I can go into town with a gun strapped on or one in my belt. Never found a need yet, We feel safe.
I have no carry guns at all, just hunting guns.
Now Mich is getting Islam parts you don't enter. You NEVER go into black parts of DC either. Police will not enter.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2016, 05:56 AM
yup 44 man that really rattles my cage. To buy a deer licence now you have to buy a small game license first. I don't hunt small game anymore and don't feel its fair. They did it under the bs that it would be done instead of raising deer licence fees and turned around the next year and raised them too. They also about force you to buy two deer licences now. before you could shoot your buck and if you wanted to continue hunting go to the store and buy your second license. Now if you don't by two right from the git go you cant shoot a second deer. Same goes for doe permits and bear permits. You have to pay a non refundable application fee and if you don't get chose for a permit you just threw your money away.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2016, 06:01 AM
kind of silly. You can used a scoped 500 linebaugh max in a rifle or handgun that is easily capable of 200 yard shooting but not something like a 250 savage because with it you might kill someone!!
Lloyd, in 2014, the shotgun only zone for deer, was re designated as the limited firearm zone. You can still use shotguns, but you can also use rifles chambered .35 cal or larger, with straight walled cases no shorter than 1.16" or longer than 1.8"

44man
09-06-2016, 03:07 PM
They don't understand at all. I was shooting 400 to 600 yards in 1956 with a Ruger BH .44. I knew the gun like the back of my hand and could hit things.
Can't use a rifle cartridge in some areas but they don't understand how far a rifled slug will go either.
The rifle can be safer since the high velocity can destroy a bullet on twigs and even grass. But you don't stop my .44 boolits.
Laws are made by stupid, no other explanation. Darn they don't even know a RB from a ML! But they allow inlines now.

44man
09-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Back to the OP, Lloyd is a good man to lend a gun. Thank you friend from being so considerate.
A friend is forever.

NoZombies
09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Lloyd,

Mi changed the law earlier this year to allow hunting with a suppressor.

Not that it counteracts the other weird or pointless laws, but it's a step in the right direction.

44man
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Lloyd,

Not that it counteracts the other weird or pointless laws, but it's a step in the right direction.
It can take a year or more and over $2,000 to screw one on. Can't make one in the basement. Federal junk.

NoZombies
09-06-2016, 04:32 PM
It can take a year or more and over $2,000 to screw one on. Can't make one in the basement. Federal junk.

You can make on in the basement, legally even, but you still have to wait on the feds to give you the permission slip.

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2016, 11:19 AM
thanks I learned something new today. I hadn't heard that. Looked it up and your absolutely correct.
Lloyd,