PDA

View Full Version : Gun safes approved for 2 schools in Los Alamos

Kent Fowler
09-01-2016, 09:24 AM
http://www.abqjournal.com/836624/los-alamos-middle-high-schools-to-have-gun-safes-on-campus.html

(http://www.abqjournal.com/836624/los-alamos-middle-high-schools-to-have-gun-safes-on-campus.html)

w5pv
09-01-2016, 09:54 AM
I can remember the time when it would not have been anything said for a rifle/shot gun hanging in the gun rack in a truck at school or anywhere else.You could even put a gun across the handle bars of a bike and ride down any street in town and not get asked about where you were going and what your intentions was.It was taken for granted you were going or returning from hunting.

Artful
09-01-2016, 02:30 PM
In my youth in a small Oregon community - doors to houses were not locked - Doors to cars were not locked - rifles left in pickup gun racks were not disturbed - One never worried about people going crazy and shooting/slicing/exploding/stealing in your community - it wasn't uncommon to come back to your rig and find the UPS driver had left the package on your seat so he didn't have to drive the 10 miles out to your house.
I remember when I first got my FFL and started ordering firearms and Cubby would deliver them and we'd open the boxes on the front porch to see what the guns looked like. Gone are the days.

Blackwater
09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Amen guys. When I was in 6th grade, I think it was, I carried Dad's M-50 Win. 12 ga. auto to school for show and tell on how gas operated autos worked. Met the bus with it, the driver asked if it was loaded, and I had the bolt open to show him it was empty. He put it up front with him for the rest of the way to school, and then gave it to me and told me to take it to the principal's office until show-n-tell. This I did and had zero problems.

And in 2nd grade, all us boys had those old dollar Barlow knives, and it was an on-going contest to see who could get theirs the sharpest. Lots of time on Dad's whetstone kept me out of lots of trouble, I'm sure. Also taught me how to sharpen a knife pretty well, too. Nowadays, most kids would be lost when their knives get dull. If it's not battery operated, they just look at it like a doe caught in your headlights at night. They're not learning how to think, but are being indoctrinated into WHAT to think, and discouraged from anything that might let them learn to solve problems and find answers to questions for themselves. Is it any wonder things are regressing as they are?

Iowa Fox
09-01-2016, 03:35 PM
I can remember when some of the High Schools around here shot 22 small bore in the gyms. Kids got on the bus with their 22s cased, didn't have to give them to the driver. The girls as well as boy both shot.

edler7
09-01-2016, 04:34 PM
I hunted geese before class in high school. I'd bring my shotgun into school with me and give it to the secretary in the office (who lived across the street from me) and pick it up after school on my way out the door. No big deal, during goose season it happened 2-3 times a week.

6bg6ga
09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Goes to show everything is going to hell in a hand basket.

imashooter2
09-01-2016, 10:05 PM
I can remember when some of the High Schools around here shot 22 small bore in the gyms. Kids got on the bus with their 22s cased, didn't have to give them to the driver. The girls as well as boy both shot.

My sister went to the state championships 1973.

Elkins45
09-03-2016, 01:25 PM
At one point (much) earlier in my teaching career I was in charge of an extracurricular group called the hunting and fishing club. On archery day the kids would bring their bows on the bus and we would shoot behind the school building. One time I brought my ML rifle and taught them how to load and shoot (big cloth wad, not a bullet) in the parking lot.

Columbine ended all that.

dubber123
09-04-2016, 08:11 PM
In the 90's I shortened an old 6.5x55 Mauser in wood shop of all places, and made a custom set of grips for a Star BM 9mm pistol. The 9mm had to stay in the principals office until class, the Mauser they let me keep in my locker. I couldn't imagine that happening now. The 90's wasn't THAT long ago was it? ;)

Freightman
09-05-2016, 01:28 PM
In the 90's I shortened an old 6.5x55 Mauser in wood shop of all places, and made a custom set of grips for a Star BM 9mm pistol. The 9mm had to stay in the principals office until class, the Mauser they let me keep in my locker. I couldn't imagine that happening now. The 90's wasn't THAT long ago was it? ;)
Think you have seen changes from the 90's I went to school and shop class in the mid 50's nothing I remember hunting was just ask now come up with 2K at least some leases go for 10K

Walkingwolf
09-05-2016, 02:11 PM
I am so old we didn't even have police officers stationed in school.