PDA

View Full Version : Remington R51-First test

376Steyr
08-31-2016, 06:46 PM
Saw my first Remington R51 9mm today, and bought it. $380 before tax. Had just enough time to get to my local shooting spot, not enough time to set up paper targets. I checked the bore for obstructions, made sure there was some factory oil in the action, and started shooting. First results:
14 rounds factory FMJ: No malfuntions.
14 rounds factory JHP: No malfunctions.
14 rounds cast 128 RFN with Blue Dot: 1 failure to chamber at round 4. A shove on the slide chambered it and it fired with no problems.
14 rounds cast 128 RFN with W231: No malfunctions.
Trigger feels like about 7 lbs of pull, but at least it is crisp when it does let go. Standing up with two hands on the gun, I could keep a tin can dancing at 10 yards, and scared at 25. I'm hoping to get some serious paper testing done this weekend. No buyer's remorse so far!

9.3X62AL
08-31-2016, 07:47 PM
This is encouraging to read. I really hope these pistols make a "go" of it.

rintinglen
08-31-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm watching this one with both eyes open. I really liked the feel and balance of the one I handled, but The reported problems ran me off. We'll see if they got it right this time around.

Mk42gunner
09-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Since you actually have one, is it really a concealable in a pocket holster pistol, or is it a small belt holster carried pistol?

They do look good, but looks don't go very far during repel boarder drills.

Robert

376Steyr
09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Since you actually have one, is it really a concealable in a pocket holster pistol, or is it a small belt holster carried pistol?

Robert
I slid it into my front pants pocket, where it easily fit with nothing sticking out. It is definitely on the high side of pocket pistol range, but I also think a S&W J-frame snubbie (being lumpy) is on the high side, too. It should fit into a winter coat pocket with no trouble. I'm planning on getting an IWB holster for it, where it should carry like a dream.

To be honest, the R51 would be ideal for carrying in a purse. Not too heavy, not bulky, but with enough weight to soak up recoil (I have a Kahr CW9, at 16 oz. it's recoil is mighty snappy) and no safety levers to worry about getting bumped off. I suppose I could get a European Men's Shoulder Bag, but it would probably be easier to just change my name to Caitlin and start wearing heels. :Bright idea:

9.3X62AL
09-01-2016, 11:53 AM
I will never be able to un-see the last sentence of 376's last post......

Mk42gunner
09-01-2016, 12:23 PM
It was like a train wreck, I had to keep reading until the last sentence....

Mica_Hiebert
09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
you could always go for the fanny pack and sweat pants look without sacrificing ALL of your masculinity...

Wayne Smith
09-01-2016, 03:57 PM
I slid it into my front pants pocket, where it easily fit with nothing sticking out. It is definitely on the high side of pocket pistol range, but I also think a S&W J-frame snubbie (being lumpy) is on the high side, too. It should fit into a winter coat pocket with no trouble. I'm planning on getting an IWB holster for it, where it should carry like a dream.

To be honest, the R51 would be ideal for carrying in a purse. Not too heavy, not bulky, but with enough weight to soak up recoil (I have a Kahr CW9, at 16 oz. it's recoil is mighty snappy) and no safety levers to worry about getting bumped off. I suppose I could get a European Men's Shoulder Bag, but it would probably be easier to just change my name to Caitlin and start wearing heels. :Bright idea:
I got a pocket watch and chain so I could obviously justify wearing a vest - which also conceals my IWB Colt Agent. No masculinity lost.

A pause for the COZ
09-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I got to handle one today. Fleet Farm had one in stock. $449 is a little more than i want to pay right at the moment. maybe though.

Its a tab bigger than I thought. Not really a Sub Compact. But man does it hold nice. Perfect fit in my hand.
It presents right to the eye.
Gona get one soon.

mcdaniel.mac
09-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Ooh, I'll be watching this. The R51 has a classy look like the old Savage 1907s that I want to see more of. Also the threaded version, with a fixed barrel, is a prime candidate for a small suppressor like the Degroat Nano or Thompson Poseidon.

warboar_21
09-02-2016, 09:28 PM
When they first came out I really wanted one. Nice and slim but a tad larger than I wanted for an everyday carry gun. When the reports of all the problems came out I decided to pass on it. I settled on the Sig P290 and am really happy with it. I rotate between that and my S&W 642 depending on what i'm wearing.

dkf
09-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Robert

No its not a pocket pistol. It basically falls into size of a compact pistol, a thin one. Basically a thin single stack Glock 19 size wise. Here you can see a size comparison.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/remington-r51-comparison/
(http://www.triangletactical.net/2014/01/20/remington-r51-corrected-comparison/)
Its good that works for the OP. I have seen several tests of the newest Gen 2 reissued R51s that still have a lot of problems. I like the design of the gun I just wish it was made by a company that can consistently make quality pistols. Lets face it, these days Remington doesn't fall into that category.

OptimusPanda
09-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I really hope this pistol pans out. The mechanism on the 51 is adorable. Pedersen knew too much to get too little credit.

JHeath
09-03-2016, 12:13 AM
I finally got to handle an R51 yesterday. It's enough bigger than my Model 51 to dampen my enthusiasm a bit. But it's still a nice flat pistol for IWB carry.

At $389 it wouldn't bother me if it needed breaking in or a little gunsmith massage. Lots of guys spend $3000 dollars getting a $150 Mauser the way they want it and don't complain to Mauser. Guns are all projects, that's the fun of it.

It's a mystery why Remington has not reproduced the beautiful Model 53 .45 that the Navy/Marines tested, found better in most ways than the 1911, and tried to order 50,000 of them before WWI intervened.

There must be a market for that, given the popularity of 1911s.

Hopefully the R51 will lead to a more traditionally styled R53.

str8wal
09-03-2016, 12:16 AM
you could always go for the fanny pack and sweat pants look without sacrificing ALL of your masculinity...

Um............no.......... ;-)

NoZombies
09-06-2016, 04:11 PM
The one I handled and shot was ****. It wasn't even slightly reliable, ejected brass in a 180 degree fan (including hitting you in the face) wouldn't feed hollow points, and left the shooting hand raw from the slide.

If you want one, I recommend test shooting one for a box or two of ammo before spending the cash.

9.3X62AL
09-06-2016, 06:08 PM
The one I handled and shot was ****. It wasn't even slightly reliable, ejected brass in a 180 degree fan (including hitting you in the face) wouldn't feed hollow points, and left the shooting hand raw from the slide.

If you want one, I recommend test shooting one for a box or two of ammo before spending the cash.

Was this one of the recently-re-introduced variants, or the one from c. 2014? Those 2014 editions had a rep for failure that prompted discontinuation of production.

Petrol & Powder
09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm really watching this and hoping Remington got it right.
The design has a lot going for it and if Remington has it worked out I'll buy one.

NoZombies
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Was this one of the recently-re-introduced variants, or the one from c. 2014? Those 2014 editions had a rep for failure that prompted discontinuation of production.

It was the new release, and had less than a box through it before I test-shot it. It was a bummer.

376Steyr
09-08-2016, 01:22 AM
I got a chance to put the R51 on paper today. Went to the local shooting spot, set up the target frame 25 yards out, took a rest over the hood of the truck, and commenced to start banging away at 8" paper plates.
Function: Shot 30 rounds factory 115 gr FMJ and 20 rounds of factory 115 gr JHP with no malfunctions. Shot 50 rounds of my assorted 128 gr RFN cast loads with one failure to eject.
Ergonomics: After a dozen rounds I noticed the slide had knocked a tiny piece of skin off my hand and had drawn blood. I put a band-aid on it and kept shooting. After a while the band-aid was beat up and I replaced it. Cleaning up later, I found I had a tiny cut, right next to where a 1911A1 hammer also bites me. I wear a large-size glove, so people with really big hands might have real trouble with slide bite.
Accuracy: I hoped the R51 could keep all its shots on a paper plate at 25 yards. It can easily do so. I'd put multiple 5 shot strings into a paper plate. I'd invariably pull a few, but there were some very interesting clusters developing. My last 5 shot group with the 115 JHP measured 3 1/2" across, which is about as good as I can do with any iron-sighted handgun at 25 yards.
Ejection: Mine spits empties out to 2 o'clock, with only the distance varying with the power of the load.
Holster: The R51 fit well in the open top belt holster I have for the Kahr CW9.
All-in-all, I'm real happy with the R51. The trigger is good and is improving as I shoot it, and the sights are great.

FergusonTO35
09-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Sounds great. I would like to see the R51 become a respectable gun given that it's competitors are all copies of each other.

Petrol & Powder
09-11-2016, 10:51 AM
So I got to handle a R51 the other day but I didn't get to shoot it.

I agree that it has great sights. Large, easy too see and no sharp edges.
I was hoping the grip safety would require a bit more tension to operate but it doesn't take much pressure to push it in. I'm sure that's great for shooting but it causes me a bit of concern for its function as a safety. I'd like a little more tension on that device considering it's the only safety on the gun other than the internal firing pin block.
The ambidextrous magazine release is a cool feature but it also concerns me on a pistol clearly intended as a SD tool. Pressing either button will release the magazine. I can envision a magazine being partially released during normal carry if the outside button (depending on which side of the gun is against the user's body when holstered) is inadvertently depressed. The magazine buttons are fairly large, which is nice for operation but not so great for the security of the magazine. I also feel that if the user ended up on the ground or grappling with an opponent, the mag could easily be dislodged. The mag release buttons are partially protected by the frame so that may reduce the chance that they are inadvertently depressed, only time will tell.
Americans seem to prefer the 1911 style magazine release over the European "heel" type release and I'm sure that Remington went with the 1911 style for marketing reasons. I'm not sure I would have made it ambidextrous but then again, I'm right handed :D.

The features that I did like: The grip and overall gun is very thin for a 9mm pistol. It points very well, at least for me. The gun is very rounded and has few, if any, sharp edges (at least when the slide is in battery, I read the prior poster's remarks about slide bite). The aluminum frame makes for a lightweight pistol. The grip panels have a nice surface that isn't too aggressive. I'm not sure I'd want the gun against my bare skin but I don't think the grips would shred clothing like some pistols do.
I dry fired the pistol and the trigger isn't bad for a pistol of that type. The trigger travel is fairly short and while it's not a target trigger by any means, the release came sooner than I expected. The pull weight was acceptable. The gun has an internal hammer and is not striker fired, so the trigger only releases the sear and doesn't have to "partially load" a striker like in the Glock design.

I agree that the gun isn't a "pocket pistol", it is just a little too big for that mode of carry. Also the grip safety would concern me in that mode of carry. It would be a very good size for an inside the waistband [IWB] holster and its thin dimensions, lightweight construction and rounded edges seem to be made for just that. The size of the gun puts it in the Kahr K9 or H&K P7 territory - too big for pocket carry or in an ankle holster but excellent for an IWB or OWB holster.

The one I looked at was new production, in the box with two magazines and a asking price of $360. I saw a few other for $380-$400.

Cheers.

376Steyr
09-24-2016, 01:28 PM
I found a decent IWB hoster here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH5LK7K/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 I bought one, and it has excellent quality for a holster in its price range. By happy accident the R51 magazine is a friction fit in my 1911 spare magazine carrier. It is a suspiciously good fit, as in maybe there is hope for the guys wanting a 45 ACP version.
I ran another 50 rounds of factory jacketed through the R51. Still zero malfunctions with 115 gr FMJ and 115 JHP factory ammo.