PDA

View Full Version : BP lube formula ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-31-2016, 01:59 PM
Well another question on BP lube.

I have the ingredients to make Bees wax and Crisco but have no idea of what percent to use, can anyone help me out ?

Thanks, Steve

bubba.50
08-31-2016, 02:41 PM
start out at 50-50 add more wax if ya need it stiffer or for warmer weather, add more Crisco if ya need it looser or for cooler weather. adjust up or down to suit yer taste.

daschnoz
08-31-2016, 03:10 PM
"Emmerts Lube" - provided (with commentary) by Ken Hurst
This is an old lube but still has a following and has never failed me when using it for Black Powder. I understand it can be used for smokeless if you are using low-pressure loads.

50% bees wax
40% Crisco or lard
10% canola oil

I heat this in a dbl boiler to mix. Do not heat in a micro wave as it offers too much heat usually. I fill my lubasizer with the lube while it is hot and it works well. I have also pan lubed with good success.

I use it for my muzzle loaders and have used it in smokeless loads. It does work well in either application. I will continue to use it in my black powder stuff. All of my future smokeless loads will be done with powder coated boolits.

rfd
08-31-2016, 04:06 PM
gato feo (ugly cat) lube - good for patches or cookies, and shines as a bullet lube for bpcr or minie/maxi ...

by weight ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
1 part canning wax (gulf paraffin wax)
1/2 part beeswax

as with most all lubes, mixed up double boiler fashion.

for patch strips, i rub it in on both sides then hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer to melt it in real good.

no wiping between shots needed with a patched ball.

country gent
08-31-2016, 04:30 PM
On my emmerts I use the improved mixture. 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 5% canola oil and 5% lanolin. This lube works well in most conditions and keeps the fouling soft. Its easy to make as mentioned above use a double boiler when melting and mixing. I add th beeswax crisco and canola oil in the double boiler and melt then add the lanolin once melted.

rfd
08-31-2016, 04:40 PM
the lanolin or mutton tallow makes the lube good for yer hands, too. :)

rodwha
08-31-2016, 04:42 PM
I'll have to try Gatofeo's lube on my patches. I certainly like it on wads, pistol bullets and Lee REALs.

rfd
08-31-2016, 04:48 PM
I'll have to try Gatofeo's lube on my patches. I certainly like it on wads, pistol bullets and Lee REALs.

i tried it 'cause i use a lot of it for bpcr bullet lubing and had it on hand. at first i just rubbed it on the patch strips, and though it works fine it's even better if you heat gun it into the fabric weave.

rodwha
08-31-2016, 09:16 PM
@rfd: Ever miss good BBQ?

Lead Fred
08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
This is the trouble free way....

This is for the DIYers

Stumpy's Moose Snot

A premium multi-shot between wiping (10+) patch lube stable over a wide temperature range.

SPECIFICALLY designed for use of patched round balls in a loading block

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a soup can set a pot of water. ( A double-boiler. I keep my beeswax in a one pound coffee can and measure out what I need by melting it and pouring it into measuring cups). Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil. In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with an ice tea spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL TOP SECRET STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a vice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

Note: it if is a hinged tin - line the edge that has the hinges with a strip of aluminum foil so it doesn't ooze out before it cools.

From a long time mountain man.

rfd
08-31-2016, 09:37 PM
@rfd: Ever miss good BBQ?

no sir, not that i can recall.

rodwha
08-31-2016, 11:55 PM
A smoker out back?

FrontierMuzzleloading
09-01-2016, 01:32 AM
I make and sell my own lube. I got tired of all the store bought **** and the hard to clean out beeswax stuff.

Main goal was to make a lube that kept rust out of my barrel while hunting, cleaned up easy with warm soapy water and kept fouling soft. I hit it perfectly after researching and testing ingredients.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/Jons%20Lube/IMG_6380_zps9rdsowhr.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/Jons%20Lube/IMG_6388_zpsiemti76x.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/Jons%20Lube/IMG_6477_zpsadairxa8.jpg
4-7-16
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w581/FrontierMuzzleloading/IMG_6902.jpg

I haven't found or used any other lube that can match its performance at keeping rust away PERIOD. Plus when its applied to the barrel or metal parts in oil form (melted) and applied thin, it doesn't feel sticky or gummy once it sets up over night.

Great part, it contains NONE of the following ingredients: Soap,Bees Wax , Paraffin wax,Mineral Spirits, Alcohol,Chap stick, Crisco,vegetable oil, olive oil or animal fat.

swathdiver
09-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Well another question on BP lube.

I have the ingredients to make Bees wax and Crisco but have no idea of what percent to use, can anyone help me out ?

Thanks, Steve

What are you using it for? To lubricate the patch, to lubricate the lock, to clean and coat the whole gun with?

FrontierMuzzleloading
09-01-2016, 11:23 AM
edit: wrong post

jjarrell
09-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Angelus Genuine Mink Oil. Its really amazing how fouling seemed to just go away when I switched to this stuff. Even with my .36 caliber. Its not made as a "patch lube" but man it works great. SUPER SLICK, its cheap at about $5 for 8oz, no odor, no petroleum, no silicone, and no surface rust in the bore after cleaning/coating. You can actually feel a huge difference in the force needed to load with Bore Butter and this. I used Bore Butter religiously for 25 years. It takes half the effort to load with the mink oil. To each their own but I'll never use anything else again.

pugjunga123
09-25-2016, 12:39 AM
I have a can my dad mixed up in the 80's.
It's equal parts of sheep's tallow, beeswax, and candle wax that for BP. His smokeless cartridge one has equal parts of sheep's tallow, Beeswax, candle wax and alox.
Performs very well.
Never had to buy any commercial stuff.

fiberoptik
09-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Ever wonder how many minks it takes to fill that container full of mink oil??? Must be a lot of squeezing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly
09-25-2016, 12:30 PM
I also like mink oil. Ditto to everything said above. I buy mine at Wal-Greens & it seem to work as well
as what Track of the wolf sells. It keeps fouling soft & I,m a guy that's tried so many things over the years.

Fly

Desertbuck
09-25-2016, 12:43 PM
If you get two more ingredients I have a recipe that works extremely well. I use it in everything black powder.
2 Parts yellow beeswax
1 Part Crisco (Plane)
½ Part Pure Neatsfoot oil
½ Part Murphy's oil
All measured by volume

fiberoptik
09-26-2016, 12:46 AM
Just need 1 with sheep griz, mink oil, neetsfoot oil, Bzwax, & maybe a little carnuba wax for a good shine.
[emoji87] oops, forgot the lanolin!!

fiberoptik
09-26-2016, 12:48 AM
If'n I can ever find a place near Jax to make smoke, maybe I can try a few of these out. Someone on the old MLML list said he used Bag Balm on patches. Claimed it worked good.

jjarrell
10-19-2016, 04:27 PM
I have a fairly easy to duplicate formula for a never fail patch lube. First get yourself a container of Angelus Mink Oil (or whatever brand mink oil you prefer). Rub it into your patches and go shoot. Viola, your done! See...........told you it was easy to duplicate :drinks:

TCLouis
10-19-2016, 08:50 PM
From someone here long ago I go with 5:4 beeswax to olive oil

fiberoptik
10-22-2016, 02:53 AM
From someone here long ago I go with 5:4 beeswax to olive oil

By volume or weight?