PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 03 action?

Char-Gar
05-31-2008, 03:47 PM
At long last, I picked up my Krag action from my gunsmith. He fitted a 2 groove 03A3 barrel, shortened it from the breech, chambered it to 30-40, laped bolt lug and crowned the muzzle. It is very good work.

Anyway... While there I bought a Springfield 03 action from him. It is a early 20s double heat treated action with a nice Redfield click adjustable receiver sight attatched. I also got the barrel, but I had him spin it off, as it has more pits than I can tolerate.

The action, sight and nasty barrel set me back $300.00. How bad did I get bit? I will use this action as the heart of a custom rifle I am building for my son.

sundog
05-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Charles, please go back and get another one. I will let you adopt me.

Complete 03/03A3 in any decent kinda condition around here are over $600. If you decide to go synthetic for the stock, I highly recommend the Bell and Carlson. I have two of them, one built up as a scoped sporter, the other with Lyman target sights front and rear. Very comfortable.

mike in co
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
i have a wood sporter stock if you are looking for something to go with that action.

i paid less than $300 for a sporter '03 with a scope base and rings.i'm restoring to mil issue plus the scope for scope matches.
mike in co

13Echo
05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
A double heat treated 03 in good condition will make a fine sporter. The action has its faults but quality isn't one and they are smooth and amply strong for most anything you might want to feed through it. John Amber had a Griffen and Howe Springfield in 7X57 that has just about the best lines of any sporting rifle I've ever seen. I've lusted after that rifle for 50 years. For a youngster a Springfield in 7x57, .257 Roberts, or 6mm Remington would be ideal. Treat the old warrior with respect and she'll repay you well. By the way that price for a good double heat treated 03 seems pretty good to me.

Jerry Liles

Scrounger
05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Century Arms has (had) 1903 and 1903A3 complete actions for $200 and they're C&R.

Char-Gar
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Thats for the feedback guys. I think I will barrel it back to 30-06. I will probably go with a 24" 1-12' twist. My son is 6'10" tall and is an experienced shooter. I have a nice peace of flame crotch black walnut for the stock. This will be the first rifle I have made from a plank, but I think I am up to it. I have a nice pre-war Winchester 70 butt plate that will look nice.

I have been going back and forth about the action, but this 03 action sealed the deal.

This rifle is next in line when I get my new Krag finished.

13Echo
06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
The little guy is 6"10"?!?! Maybe you need an antitank Mauser action from WW1 and barrel it for 50 BMG. Otherwise I like the '06. The Classic American all around cartridge in the Classic American bolt action. Perfect.

Darn. I have a friend with a nickle steel 03 action that just needs to be used and I don't have a 30-06.

Jerry Liles

nicholst55
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
I ordered a B&C stock for a 6.5-06 Springfield that I built on a high-number Springfield receiver a couple of years ago - my first and most definitely my last B&C stock! Unfortunately, I had the stock shipped directly to the smith who was barreling the action and he started work on it before I ever saw it. Otherwise it would have gone striaght back to them.

The barrel channel was not centered in the forearm and the rear trigger guard screw hole was drilled almost 1" off center! I was able to make it work and the rifle shoots extremely well, but it sure as the devil wasn't Bell & Carlson's fault!

If you decide to use a B&C stock, inspect it thoroughly before you do anything to it that might void the warranty.

FWIW, E.R. Shaw made me a sweet-shooting helical fluted barrel for this rifle - I can recommend them!

sundog
06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Nich, so who's fault would that be? A screw hole almost 1" off center and you used it anyway. Who's fault is that? I think you'd better be blaming your smithy, not the manufacturer at this point. Gonna have any more work done by him? Hmm?

nicholst55
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Nich, so who's fault would that be? A screw hole almost 1" off center and you used it anyway. Who's fault is that? I think you'd better be blaming your smithy, not the manufacturer at this point. Gonna have any more work done by him? Hmm?

You've got a point there, sundog! I did express my displeasure with him, but since he was building the gun for free, I couldn't complain too hard! :neutral:

2152hq
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I think thats a decent price for a 20's era '03 action. With a click adj Redfield recrv site as an extra and the fact that you can look the thing over before buying it. Many have seen hard use and abuse. Even the barrel with it's bore not being pristeen will bring a few bucks to the '03 owner who has a sewer pipe currently instead. I bought about a year and a half ago a 1929 '03 with it's orig barrel with a nice mint bore in a terrible Bishop sporter stock for $240. Had a Redfield cheapy recvr site on it (mod 101?)... loosen the screws, adj, tighten the screws.. It's waiting for it's day to be stocked into a nice pre war style sporter. Sounds like you've got a decent gunsmith to work with there..