PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-31-2016, 06:23 AM
How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults.—Psalm 19:12 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=f111af8b79&e=3dd732485b)Sin is not always obvious. Some sins are, however, such as murder, adultery, and stealing. But other sins are more subtle, like pride, selfishness, and gossip. Sometimes we will sin in ignorance or presumption. That is why David prayed, "How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. Keep your servant from deliberate sins!" (Psalm 19:12–13 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://6)).

The Bible talks about sins of the flesh and sins of the spirit. Paul pointed out in 2 Corinthians 7:1, "Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God."

What does it mean to commit a sin of the spirit? It is to knowingly go against what is true. We talk about some sins being worse than others. But it may not be the sins that we think. Jesus said to Pontius Pilate, "You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you hasthe greater sin" (John 19:11 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://7), emphasis added).

Jesus was talking about either Caiaphas or Judas. Caiaphas was the high priest who had a hand in putting Jesus up on false charges and then sent Him to the Romans to do his dirty work and crucify Him. Then there was Judas, who betrayed Him.

Either way it is the same. Judas was one of the handpicked disciples of Christ who betrayed the Lord, and Caiaphas, the high priest, should have known better. The point is, when you have been schooled in the Scriptures like Caiaphas or exposed to the truth and the power of God like Judas, you are without excuse.
Knowledge brings responsibility

Pine Baron
08-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Thank you, rl. This is very thoughtful. If knowledge brings responsibility does ignorance absolve us of responsibility?

Preacher Jim
08-31-2016, 12:19 PM
wishful thinking, ignorance is no excuse in Gods eyes. good post

Pine Baron
08-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Luke 12:
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
Good faith ignorance of God's commandments does not free anyone from the penalty of transgression, at the most it just lessens that penalty.
Let it then be known to the nonbelievers, who try not learning about God so they can allege ignorance, as well as the believers that do not want to inquire too much about whether or not to obey God's commandments, hoping to allege good faith ignorance.

Blackwater
08-31-2016, 01:07 PM
Great post. It seems to have gotten to be rather a sport among some Christians to condemn others for what they perceive to be their sins, while completely ignoring their own. Is it the influence of PC and liberal theology these days? Probably, at least in large part. But mainly, it's our own reluctance to acknowledge our own sins, and try to point out others so that our own sins might not show that distinctly, and the focus might be elsewhere rather than on us. Yeah, it's tough evaluating one's own self. We know our intent, and we think that goes farther than it does sometimes, in excusing ourselves, rationalizing our actions, and even sometimes denying them in total. As Robert Burns, the old Scots poet put it, "Ah but would the gift to give us, to see ourselves as others see us." It's never easy to do that, but it'll always be a great boon and asset to us when we do.

jmort
08-31-2016, 01:34 PM
The Bible is clear, we are not to judge sinner men and women, but elders/pastors in a church are required to do so for church members for everyone's benefit. As the passage makes clear, admonition is not without risk.

Bzcraig
08-31-2016, 09:27 PM
As jmort mentions above, it is a question of authority. pastors/elders have been given that authority when we willingly submit to that authority as part of a body of believers. If you are in an accountability relationship with another brother or two, they also have been given authority to 'call you out' on your sin. I personally believe the lack of accountability in the Church is the greatest cause of those who profess to be 'christians' not living lives worthy of the title. Heck, when was the last time you heard a message specifically about repentence, obedience, adultery and the like? The Church has moved to it being more about grace than obedience to the point grace has become cheap.