PDA

View Full Version : Which 44 Mag? Marlin, Henry, Rossi, other?

LeadPoisonTX
08-30-2016, 01:38 PM
Could I please hear from your personal experience if you own one of these in 44 Mag?
I have a Ruger SBH that is too much fun, and I'm looking for its companion in a lever rifle.
Aesthetically, I like octagonal barrels, traditional wood, blued, and 20-24 inches long. Open sights, of course.
My research has made me aware of the problems with the Marlins built by Remington, so I'm interested in older Marlins.
I really do not know much about Henry nor Rossi, but I have heard good things about both.
I want to load gallery/light plinking, medium 44 Special, and full power 44 Mag rounds with correct boolits & j-words.
I'm not limited to a specific budget, but I do want value in a lever rifle that I intend to keep and pass on to younger generations.

What would you guys recommend I get? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Ben
08-30-2016, 01:54 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to beat his one :

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56483

Kraschenbirn
08-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I've got a 1894 Marlin (1971 mfg) that, from those I've seen so far, I wouldn't trade for two of the current production 'Remlins.' The Marlin's main negative is that mine is very picky about OAL. Have shot the Henry but just couldn't get comfortable with it...only took me two rounds to get on target at 50M but it just didn't feel 'right' for me. Have handled a couple of Rossi '92s but have yet to actually shoot one. The guns I tried balanced nicely and the actions felt reasonably smooth for new (unfired) pieces but their wood was nothing to write home about.

Bill

NoAngel
08-30-2016, 02:42 PM
If the Henry had a side loading gate, I would say Henry. Henry makes an extremely nice rifle considering the price. I just don't care for the loading tube. BUT, that is what helps keep the cost down. That's a lot of machining and extra tooling to make that feature.

FergusonTO35
08-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Used: JM Marlin all the way, prices are coming down on them too. The Browning and Winchester 1892's are excellent guns but $$$ and can be difficult to find, same goes for the better Italian replicas. Older Rossis are supposed to be very good but Rossi USA does not support them.
New: Henry would be my first choice by a wide margin. Second would be a Remlin or Rossi as long as you can inspect it in person. With regards to the Rossi, be advised that factory service and support may completely vanish at some point. I don't know if Winchester/Browning are importing any 1892's right now, nor do I know if anybody is bringing in any Italian versions.

fortysomething
08-30-2016, 09:44 PM
I have a Rossi Model 92 in .44 Mag. So far it has performed well and feels good to me. Fit and finish is quite good, though that is not always the case. I may have gone for one of the other brands if it weren't for $$$ and availability at the time I was buying. The Rossi was in stock, so I got to look it over before purchase. I have no regrets in my choice, though I still would like a Henry in .44 Mag.

Bzcraig
08-30-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a Henry 44 mag, added a skinner peep sight to it and is my favorite lever. I also have a Rossi but in 45LC that once I 'slicked up' with Steve Young (steves gunz) upgrades, is a very close second to the Henry. Both are good choices. My Marlin is a 30-30 so can't help with that part of your question.

nockhunter
08-31-2016, 10:02 PM
I will give you my Rossi story.
April 2015, I take my newly aquired Rossi 44mag,(20" octagon barreled, case hardened) lever gun to the range. I fire all kinds of ammo I had on hand. Light 240g cast 44 spec to full power 240g cast and JHP loads. The magazine tube kept inching foward while shooting. I took the gun home to clean and figure out a way to stop the creeping magazine tube. When I disassembled the gun I discovered I could unscrew the barrel from the receiver by hand. Not only was the barrel loose but some IDIOT decided to peen the corners of the octagon barrel to get it tighter.
Now the fun part.
I call Baztech (Rossi/Taurus) warranty center and inform them of my problem. They tell me to send it back on my dime ($32) and 4-6 weeks later I will hear from them. Some time passes,(5-6weeks) I get a call from them and am informed that the gun is no longer safe to use and to pick another with the same MSRP because they didn't have the same model in stock. I tell them I will wait for the model I sent them. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks, OK I'll wait. 6-8 weel later I get a call telling me to pick another model, I told them I was waiting for the model I sent in, OK it will be 4-6 weeks to get that model. I respond again with, "I'll wait". this happens numerous times until May of this year. By now I have had enough with the morons at Braztech, I really do mean MORONS. I tell the to send me my broken rifle back, I will have a gunsmith repair it properly. One month later I opened the box and found five parts, receiver, barrel, mag tube & spring, and nose cap. I was fit to be tied I called the and the MORON on the other end said "it was not safe to use and that is how they ship guns in that condition". I told them I wanted to talk to a supervisor and was told none were available, I said in a very pissed off manner, " are you kidding me its 10:00 an on a Tuesday morning and you're telling me no one is available", yes someone will contact you within 48 hours. I finally get a call from a NON-MORON, I relay my frustration to them about sending me 5 parts back, and was aske if I wanted the same model I had. I told them I have been waiting for almost 18 months for the same model. she said they just got a shipment of the model I had. She informed me they don't know what comes on each shipment from the manufacturer. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. I couldn't believe how inept a company can be. I asked if they ever talk to the manufacturer about what they get, or the fact that a customer has been waiting a certain model for 18 months.
I was told I would have to wait for 3 weeks for them to ship my replacement gun. four weeks later I call and ask "where is mu gun", "sir you will have to wait 3 weeks for your gun". I told the MORON on the other end that four weeks ago another MORON told me the same thing. All they keep saying is "Sorry for the inconvenience" everyone there is "sorry all right".
So, are you still with me?
I finally got my gun last week, (a complete gun), I shot it Monday afternoon, it works fine, all the bullets came out the proper end, BUT the magazine tube creeps foward. I will not be sending it back, I will find a fix myself.

Mike

P.S. I also told them I would NEVER, I mean NEVER purchase anything with their name on it ever!!!! And I would discourage others from purchasing their products also!

Sorry,,,,,,, rant over!

hylander
08-31-2016, 11:08 PM
nockhunter (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?4228-nockhunter):
That is not good news, what model is it ?
I just ordered a Rossi 92 .357 20" with round barrel.
Sure hope It does not need any work to it that would require it going back to Rossi.
Funny thing just after I ordered it my wife said I should have ordered the Winchester for $1,300 :oops:

nitrohog
08-31-2016, 11:32 PM
I only have a couple hundred rounds through my rossi but it's been a great rifle so far. It's reasonably accurate, the trigger is pretty good and it has cycled everything I have thrown at it so far. Find me another lever gun for $400 that you can say that about.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

nockhunter
08-31-2016, 11:53 PM
m92 rifle .44mag blue/case hdnd 10+1 20" oct bbl

This one.

By the way $400 for a buggered up gun is too much, plus crappy customer service,,,not again.

Mike

shoot-n-lead
09-01-2016, 12:02 AM
I have the Marlin and Rossi...and I prefer the M92...just like the 92 action better and the rifle handles a lot better. YMMV

Artful
09-01-2016, 01:32 AM
I own a Marlin 44mag and an older Rossi in 357 - if you anticipate mounting a scope get a marlin, plus easier to clean - if you anticipate using with iron sights and carrying it a lot get a Winchester 92 or clone - (Rossi, Browning, etc) - I have not owned a Henry - I have a friend that has one in 22LR and it cycles smooth but
like my Marlin 39 rifle you have to load from the end of the tube - can be an issue to some people.

NavyVet1959
09-01-2016, 01:49 AM
I bought this one for $300 last year (June 2015, IIRC). I was originally looking for one in .357 mag, but this one came around in .44 mag and at that price, I couldn't resist it. It is one of the older models and the wood and steel is not that bad looking.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/rossi-model-92-480w.jpg

Sure, I wish it had the longer barrel and it was an octagon barrel, but it'll do... :)

My old eyes would probably prefer a peep sight though.

35 Whelen
09-01-2016, 03:18 AM
Ford, Dodge or Chevy?

Big Mac, Quarter Pounder or McDouble?

Rossi, Marlin, or Henry?

....yawn....

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Uberti%2044%20Mag%20Carbine/UbertiCarbine-3_zps8d3f73e0.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Uberti%2044%20Mag%20Carbine/UbertiCarbine-3_zps8d3f73e0.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Uberti%2044%20Mag%20Carbine/UbertiCarbine_zps76990426.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Uberti%2044%20Mag%20Carbine/UbertiCarbine_zps76990426.jpg.html)

35W

KCcactus
09-01-2016, 08:01 AM
I have a 44 mag Rossi 20" round barrel in stainless. The only issues it had out of the box were a too stiff extractor spring and a too stiff loading gate spring. Both were easily fixed and now it's a sweet rifle. A Marlin or Henry will be at least 1-2 lbs heavier. I prefer my Rossi, My Uncle prefers his older Marlin and my friend prefers his Henry. That's why they make different kinds.

FergusonTO35
09-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Winchester would sell tons of 92's if they would bring it out as a regular catalog item and get the real world price to around $600-700.00 or so. Miroku guns are just outstanding, I think of them as the FN of Asia.

Nockhunter, that would not have happened with Henry. They are a company that takes customer service very seriously. Heck, even Remlin tries harder than what you described.

robertbank
09-01-2016, 10:49 AM
I have the Rossi in 44 Mag and other than the gun kicks like a mule with that curved butt plate I enjoy the gun. I enjoy it more now that I have a recoil pad on it....a lot more. The one aspect I don't like is the 92 action is not the easiest to clean. If for no other reason I would search out a decent Marlin, that and I want to move to a scope as my eyes are not what they used to be. Nothing wrong with my two Rossis though.

Take Care

Bob

Ithaca Gunner
09-01-2016, 12:30 PM
That Uberti looks sweet! Probably the smoothest of the bunch, I know the original '73 is.

rintinglen
09-01-2016, 12:38 PM
In the interests of full disclosure, I have a Browning 32-20, a Rossi 357, a Marlin 44 Magnum and have examined a Henry 45 colt.

Based on my experience I would get a Browning first, a Rossi next, a Henry third and a Marlin last.

The Brownings (actually Miroku) are the best, but they are hard to find and very costly. If I could find one, that would be my first choice.

I like the Rossi, but I would join the chorus on advising not to buy one sight unseen and carefully inspecting before purchase. I have a 357 and my brother has two, a 357 and a 44 magnum. All work well, and my 357 has fired about 2000 rounds. He has taken two deer with his--one each, but I don't know what his round count is.

I am not sold on older 1894 Marlins--back in the 80's, they had a lot of problems with the pot-metal lifters breaking. Now I have heard from many who have had nothing but sunshine and happiness with their Marlins, but I personally have replaced two lifters. My current 1894 CB 44 mag is a good gun, I have about 800 rounds through it and I would say that these are also fine choices. The Marlin Cowboys always seemed to me to be a better grade of fire arm than the Wally world plain jane versions.

The Henry is too heavy for me. It felt awkward and did not mount cleanly.

nockhunter
09-01-2016, 08:41 PM
The Henry's and the "73's are very nice rifles, just "not my cup of tea". I never warmed to the looks of either. I like the 1892 platform the best, just never again with Taurus/Rossi.

My opinion, nothing more
Mike

NC_JEFF
09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
I've got a JM Marlin ('77 vintage) it's still smooth and more than accurate enough for me. I've never owned another brand but I don't see how I could ever enjoy any of them more than I do this Marlin.

swamp
09-01-2016, 10:39 PM
My 44 lever is a Winchester 94 I picked up 70-71. Still like it.
swamp

hylander
09-02-2016, 01:41 AM
At my shop we have a couple of Winchester 1873's, a Marlin 1894 and a Uberti 1873 in Brass.
The Winchesters are butter smooth, the Marlin feels pretty good but stiff.
The Uberti is horrible, gritty, sticky and hard to lever.

Brandi
09-02-2016, 02:47 AM
I have a first generation (late 60's-mid 70's) top eject Winchester 94 .44 magnum that is a fantastic rifle but those early ones are about impossible to find anymore. The later ones have ridiculous safeties on them and then modern ones are made in Japan. I don't consider Japanese Winchester's real Winchesters and I won't own one. The modern Marlins have their known issues as you mentioned. For every good thing I've heard about the Rossi's I've heard something bad so it's a crapshoot in my opinion. I have no interest in foreign made copies anyway when excellent rifles are available from American manufacturers. If I couldn't find what I wanted in America then I would look overseas but that's just me.

The Henry's are absolutely fantastic guns. I own the Big Boy in .45 Colt which is basically the gun as the .44 magnum. They look beautiful, they have very nice American walnut stocks, their brass looks insanely gorgeous and is just as strong as a steel receiver. Their butter slick actions are smoother than any other lever gun I've ever touched and usually something you get after custom work. The accuracy is phenomenal. I hate to say anything bad about my Winchester so I won't because it shoots pretty darn accurately but the Henry is even more accurate.

I've heard folks say they are too heavy. Well, they are heavier than a little Winchester 94 or a Marlin 1894 but then neither of the 94's have long octagonal heavy barrels either. Also why the Henry is significantly more accurate than most lever guns and if you want a lighter version Henry makes those too now. I've heard folks complain about the lack of a side loading gate. Hey, I like the side loading gate on my Winchester, it's just more "cowboy". However, I don't like the pinched and sore thumbs that sometimes come with loading a pistol caliber lever gun. And I really don't like having to work the action over and over and over to unload my rifle each time. It dings up your cartridges and then you have to pick them all up and check them for damage. It's not a huge issue but it's an issue and that's what we are discussing here. One other thing, the side loading gate is great when you are in a gunfight with a marauding tribe of hostiles but it's really unnecessary in a hunting or target shooting situation aka modern times.

The Henry's magazine is extremely easy and fast to load. Just twist it open, pull out the tube, slide your cartridges in and replace the tube. Given a race between loading a pistol caliber lever gun from a loading gate or the tube magazine, I'm pretty sure the Henry would win easily and without the sore thumb. I own both types and I like both but if not in a battle where I have to load on the fly, I MUCH prefer loading (and unloading) the tube style magazine. If we are talking rifle length cartridges when the overall capacity is 4 or 5 total then the side gate may win but it would be close. As I said, I own a Winchester 94 .44 magnum and I love the gun but if I had the ability I'd buy a Henry Big Boy Carbine (one of their new releases) in .44 magnum to go along with my .45 Colt Big Boy just because I like them that much.

Henry has released several new models over the last couple years so if you haven't looked at their website in that length of time you'll probably be impressed by their new offerings.

FergusonTO35
09-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Well spoken. I love my Henry H001T and a .357 and .30-30 are in my future as well.

ironhead7544
09-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I will give you my Rossi story.
April 2015, I take my newly aquired Rossi 44mag,(20" octagon barreled, case hardened) lever gun to the range. I fire all kinds of ammo I had on hand. Light 240g cast 44 spec to full power 240g cast and JHP loads. The magazine tube kept inching foward while shooting. I took the gun home to clean and figure out a way to stop the creeping magazine tube. When I disassembled the gun I discovered I could unscrew the barrel from the receiver by hand. Not only was the barrel loose but some IDIOT decided to peen the corners of the octagon barrel to get it tighter.
Now the fun part.
I call Baztech (Rossi/Taurus) warranty center and inform them of my problem. They tell me to send it back on my dime ($32) and 4-6 weeks later I will hear from them. Some time passes,(5-6weeks) I get a call from them and am informed that the gun is no longer safe to use and to pick another with the same MSRP because they didn't have the same model in stock. I tell them I will wait for the model I sent them. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks, OK I'll wait. 6-8 weel later I get a call telling me to pick another model, I told them I was waiting for the model I sent in, OK it will be 4-6 weeks to get that model. I respond again with, "I'll wait". this happens numerous times until May of this year. By now I have had enough with the morons at Braztech, I really do mean MORONS. I tell the to send me my broken rifle back, I will have a gunsmith repair it properly. One month later I opened the box and found five parts, receiver, barrel, mag tube & spring, and nose cap. I was fit to be tied I called the and the MORON on the other end said "it was not safe to use and that is how they ship guns in that condition". I told them I wanted to talk to a supervisor and was told none were available, I said in a very pissed off manner, " are you kidding me its 10:00 an on a Tuesday morning and you're telling me no one is available", yes someone will contact you within 48 hours. I finally get a call from a NON-MORON, I relay my frustration to them about sending me 5 parts back, and was aske if I wanted the same model I had. I told them I have been waiting for almost 18 months for the same model. she said they just got a shipment of the model I had. She informed me they don't know what comes on each shipment from the manufacturer. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. I couldn't believe how inept a company can be. I asked if they ever talk to the manufacturer about what they get, or the fact that a customer has been waiting a certain model for 18 months.
I was told I would have to wait for 3 weeks for them to ship my replacement gun. four weeks later I call and ask "where is mu gun", "sir you will have to wait 3 weeks for your gun". I told the MORON on the other end that four weeks ago another MORON told me the same thing. All they keep saying is "Sorry for the inconvenience" everyone there is "sorry all right".
So, are you still with me?
I finally got my gun last week, (a complete gun), I shot it Monday afternoon, it works fine, all the bullets came out the proper end, BUT the magazine tube creeps foward. I will not be sending it back, I will find a fix myself.

Mike

P.S. I also told them I would NEVER, I mean NEVER purchase anything with their name on it ever!!!! And I would discourage others from purchasing their products also!

Sorry,,,,,,, rant over!

+1 on this.

LeadPoisonTX
09-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply and provide personal accounts. I really appreciate it, and I enjoyed reading all posts. Some made me chuckle and laugh, others made me ponder about my needs/use - exactly whatI was looking for.

Time to go shopping and handle many, many cowboy rifles :D

Thank you again gentlemen.

ksorange
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Mike
I had the same experience with the MORONS ! I had 92 in 357. It went to the gun shop in trade for 2 Henrys.
I'll buy another one when you do!!
Dennis

Texas by God
09-12-2016, 07:06 PM
I wasn't aware that the 73 Uberti came in .44 mag. I bet it won't take a lot of full power loads to stretch/crack the toggle. That said, if it's strong enough with modern steels- that would be my pick. The 1873 is much smoother than a 1892. My 2/100th of a dollar. Best, Thomas.

35 Whelen
09-13-2016, 09:09 AM
I wasn't aware that the 73 Uberti came in .44 mag. I bet it won't take a lot of full power loads to stretch/crack the toggle. That said, if it's strong enough with modern steels- that would be my pick. The 1873 is much smoother than a 1892. My 2/100th of a dollar. Best, Thomas.

I don't know why a '73 wouldn't take alot of full power loads, especially if it's designed to be chambered in .44 Magnum. But then I've never been able to figure out why toggle link actions are universally considered weak. Over on the CAS Forum there's a thread on this very subject. Therein are a couple or three instances, photos included, in which toggle link actioned rifles were overloaded or fired with a barrel obstruction. Rather than the actions being destroyed as one might think, the barrels were destroyed and while the actions remained intact. Very interesting proof that these type actions are stronger than presumed.

35W

enloe
09-13-2016, 11:01 AM
I have shot them all. I like them all. I prefer my Henry. It is rugged and accurate.
I have my 44 and I bought my Father-in-Law one in 45 and he loves it as well

hylander
09-17-2016, 12:45 AM
I think you'd be hard pressed to beat his one :

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56483

I just might be picking that model up in a week or so 8-)
Except it s case hardened and had the marbles peep sight

44 flattop
09-22-2016, 12:30 AM
I've had .44s in Winchesters, a Browning and an older 336. Now I have 3 different Marlin CBs and will never have anything else. Just fantastic rifles and worth every penny. Mine are all from the late 90s to early 2000s.

buckshotshoey
09-22-2016, 06:43 AM
They are all capable rifles and can give good accuracy. I guess is comes down to the features. Do you want side loading gate or load from the tube?In my situation, I prefer the tube in the Henry. When moving from one hunting spot to another (in motor vehicle), it is easier and safer to just dump the loads out of the mag tube, instead of having to cycle them through the action. Another added benefit is it is so simple to clean the mag tube with a cleaning rod.The brass spring tube seems less likely to get dirt and debris in it. and if it does, you should be able to drive pin out of the cap and remove spring and follower. Not sure if its advisable, havent tried it on mine yet. If you dont like the heavy weight of the brass receiver and octagon barrel, go with the steel receiver and round barrel. Its quite a bit lighter.

As a disclaimer, I dont have a .44, but have to H010 in 45-70. I love that rifle! Its shorter, lighter, and a pleasure to shoot. OK...a 45-70 a pleasure to shoot? Its not really that bad. If you can handle a 12 ga, you can handle the 45-70. I do sometimes wish I would have gotten the case hardened version with octagon barrel. Now THAT is a sexy rifle! But I wouldnt trade mine for it. The standard H010 is perfect for carrying and for use in a tree stand.

Last but not least, a Henry is 100% made in USA....right down to the last screw. What more could you want in a rifle in addition to previously mentioned?

Has anyone read through my subtlety, and figured im recommending the Henry? No cheating and looking at my avatar.