PDA

View Full Version : Point form die supplier....best???

MaxJon
08-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Ok who would be the best to supply me with a point form die in .312? Richard or Dave Corbin? Or who?? The point form die is the only one I'm not willing to make myself, figuring I would leave that one to the experts!! I do not have access to tool and cutter grinding to make the required reams and laps required to make this die.
Thanks in advance guys!!!

ohnomrbillk
08-29-2016, 10:50 PM
What press are you using?

what threads are the other dies?

MaxJon
08-29-2016, 11:43 PM
Walnut hill press, 7/8X14 ram thread

rmatchell
08-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Richard and Dave are both great to deal with but there is also kelly harvey. I have worked with all three.

I also have an adapter to use S dies on my walnut hill so that is an option.

ohnomrbillk
08-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Richard Corbin is the obvious answer

its for his press

MaxJon
09-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Yes it is Richards press. But he or his brothers company are not really interested in supplying me with the one only PF die. They both seem to claim they cannot garauntee the finished bullet size. Which I kinda understand. I'm now thinking I will spend the time on my lathe, even if it takes me 3 or 4 goes to get it right, could be good learning experience. I'm pretty confident I can make all of my own dies, I'm just a bit lazy, when do fine tolerance machining for a living!!

mckenziedrums
09-01-2016, 08:48 AM
BT Sniper can make a die that'll fit in your WH press....

Utah Shooter
09-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Yes it is Richards press. But he or his brothers company are not really interested in supplying me with the one only PF die. They both seem to claim they cannot garauntee the finished bullet size. Which I kinda understand. I'm now thinking I will spend the time on my lathe, even if it takes me 3 or 4 goes to get it right, could be good learning experience. I'm pretty confident I can make all of my own dies, I'm just a bit lazy, when do fine tolerance machining for a living!!
Yup. I was talking with Dave Detsch (?) and he strongly advised against just getting a point form die from him. At first I thought it was because of money but I let it sit in my head a bit and it makes sense. I do not think any die maker would guarantee their point form die if the rest of the process was done with other peoples dies.

MaxJon
09-02-2016, 03:43 AM
Shouldn't be a problem! If they supply a lead slug sample to confirm the desired size, then the ownuss is on the customer to use the appropriate punches to obtain that desired size!!
Dont see the big issue other than warranty politics really! I am gunna pull my finger out and make my own set of dies, starting with the PF die/s!!!

PWS
09-03-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm no expert but from the experience of putting together die sets for four calibers now, I can understand the reluctance of a supplier to build just a PF die. The reason is that each die, the materials used for core and jacket, and the processes you use are interrelated and will have an effect on how well the dies function and what they finally produce.

For instance, differences in just the core alloy will result in different seated core diameters and ease of swaging and ejection from the core seat die. The size of those particular seated cores will in turn require a specific point forming die to produce a specific finished size.

That said, Dave Corbin did sell me an individual PF die but I sent him ten seated cores from my home made dies so he could fine tune the final dimensions of the PF die.

I've found that making swaging dies is an exercise in patience and accepting the fact that there are a lot of subtleties you'll only learn by making mistakes. Keep at it until you get the results you're after and good luck!

ohnomrbillk
09-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I've bought available dies from Corbin's website that were just point form, but I already owned a Corbin set of the same caliber, so I had no worries.

If if you can't by off the shelf, BT Sniper here has some darn good looking options. If I can convince him to make dies for my Corbin H press, I'll be ordering several sets.

MaxJon
09-03-2016, 11:01 PM
I've bought available dies from Corbin's website that were just point form, but I already owned a Corbin set of the same caliber, so I had no worries.

If if you can't by off the shelf, BT Sniper here has some darn good looking options. If I can convince him to make dies for my Corbin H press, I'll be ordering several sets.

Thanks PWS! I'm am tooling up to make my own dies. I have access to a co-ordinate measuring machine, to measure some popular ogives, to grind some scoops, or half reamers as they are called!