PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Reed Valve?

Menner
08-28-2016, 08:39 PM
I have a Monkey Ward 230v twin cylinder Air compressor that I have had for many years runs like a champ but the other day it started sounding funny so Saturday morning I took the air box apart and found what I expected a broken reed valve. So what to do on Sat morning to find a new reed or material to make one finally landed on a piece of steel banding strap which was about the same width and a little thicker but I used the old reed as a template cut a new one and put it back together and it works just don't know how long it will last.
Now having gone through all that. looking around the net Devilbiss reed replacement parts look to be the same size, http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/devilbiss/kk4275?gclid=cjljzz2q5c4cfczbhgodqcafsq the grid is 1 in. squares and to my calibrated eye it looks close to the broken one I measured. Anybody know if Devilbiss was one of the manufactures for monkey ward? and what are the chances of mine being a Devilbiss pump?
Tony

country gent
08-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Sears, Montgomery ward,western auto, and some others bought manufactured items with thier name on them instead of manufacturering them themselves. Devilbiss was a major maker of air compressors and tools both industrial and home workshop. Theres a good chance yours is a devilbiss and parts usually interchange. Sometimes manufacturer can be traked down thru the serial numbers.

Mal Paso
08-28-2016, 09:31 PM
My vintage Sears is I believe a Speed Air but the pump was common to many brands. I was able to flip mine over when one developed a set. They looked like this.

This is back in the day when 2 HP was 11 Amps X 240 and you couldn't plug it into a 120V x 20A outlet. They don't make Horses like they used to. LOL

Menner
08-28-2016, 09:42 PM
thanks Country Gent you confirmed what I thought I knew I am going to do a little more research I can prob. find a spec sheet for the reeds from Devilbiss.
Tony

country gent
08-28-2016, 10:34 PM
You also might e-mail Montomery Wards service center with the serial number ID of the unit, They may know right off

Menner
08-29-2016, 06:58 AM
I Thought they were out of business
Tony