PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding powder storage

ShooterAZ
08-28-2016, 11:13 AM
I'd like to store my 8 lb unopened kegs of powder in one of my outbuildings. It is perfectly dry in there, but it is subject to sub-freezing temperatures during winter. I have one of the huge Igloo 162 qt marine coolers, and I'd like to put it all in there. I'm hoping that this will help regulate any temperature swings. Is there problems with storing powder in this manner? Will freezing temps have a detrimental effect? If this is a bad idea, please tell me...Thanks.

Lead Fred
08-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Mine are in the linen closet. In the center of the house, where it is always cool and dry.

OS OK
08-28-2016, 11:49 AM
I keep my powders I use every day in the garage workshop, all the back-up stock is in a storage box out in the barn...it freezes here too but I think that the 'dry' part goes a long way in preserving the powders, also keeping them from extreme temperature swings prevents condensation in the containers. Put a thermometer in your Igloo and check it on a hot day and then on a cold night, I'll bet there is not much difference there, especially if the direct sunlight does not get on it....I have Herco in the cardboard tube and it is as pristine as my new stock of Herco, that old canister has to be at least 25 years old. I think your idea of using the Igloo cooler will work just fine.

tazman
08-28-2016, 01:23 PM
My house is built into the side of a hill. The basement where my powder is stored is cool and dry. Never had an issue with powder.
I leave the powder in the bottles until needed, then take the one container that I am using to the bench. When I change powders, I put that one away and get out the new one to avoid confusion and problems.
I save the smaller bottles to break down the larger ones for use. I don't have room for an 8 lb jug on the bench.

dbarry1
08-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I too have heard cool and dry. http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#consider

dverna
08-28-2016, 02:28 PM
I store in a detached garage with insulated shop space. Temps get to -20 at times. No issues so far. I have added heat so now the temperature is 50 degrees minimum unless the power goes out.

The cooler is a good idea. If you are concerned with cold and/or condensation, wire in a 20 watt bulb for the winter.

But I think heat will affect powder more than cold.

nvreloader
08-28-2016, 03:46 PM
I use an old reefer, seems to work OK,
I just started using some 4831 powder from the 70's,
and it loads and acts just like the day we bought a 100# drum,
I do miss those old days....

Also works with stick welding rods..

Tia,
Don

shooting on a shoestring
08-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Cold storage is not a problem it's a blessing. Heat is your enemy for long term storage.

The degredation reactions as with most chemical reactions speed up with heat. In very rough terms, a ten degree increase in heat gets your chemical reactions a speed increase of about two times. In other words comparing storing at 60 degrees vs 100 degrees, a 40 degree increase, your powder degrades 8 times faster at 100 as it does at 60. Colder is better.

Mousture is not a concern. Oxygen is.

Optimum storage is cold and oxygen deprived.

ShooterAZ
08-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Here in Flagstaff we have never seen a 100 degree day ever, at least since they have been keeping records. I think even on a hot summer day (for here), inside the cooler will still be relatively cool. I will keep an eye on it. Up until now I have been storing everything in the closet in my office. I'm running out of room in there, so I wanted to move the 8 pounders outside. It's a sturdy, lockable building with a white metal roof, I think it will be a good place.

SciFiJim
08-28-2016, 08:14 PM
ShooterAZ, I too, use an old ice chest to store powder. One of the things that I have done to help regulate temperature swings is to put a layer of lead ingots at the bottom of the ice chest. These act as a heat sink and slow any swings. I just moved from a hot dry climate to a hot humid climate. When retrieving powder from storage, I do so in the morning when temps are lowest. This prevent any temp swings.