PDA

View Full Version : Is this an Iver Johnson 38?

BNE
08-28-2016, 10:26 AM
I went shooting with some friends yesterday and one of them pulled this pistol out to shoot.

He had some store bought S&W38s to shoot in it. I was not sure if they were the right bullets for the gun. Other than a serial number, there are no readable markings on the pistol. He knows his father carried it in WW2, but nothing else.

I am guessing it is an Iver Johnson due to the "IJ" in the handle. It seems to lock up tight and function correctly. We did not shoot it because I was hesitant to damage a family keepsake.

What can you tell me about it and are there websites that will tell me more info given the serial number?

bouncer50
08-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes that would be a IJ as long it lock up tight i see no harm shooting it once in a while. Its not a pistol i would shoot every day. They must have made a ton of them i see them at gun shops gun shows begging for a new owner.

Kraschenbirn
08-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Appears to be a 3rd Model (1908-1941) Iver Johnson 'Safety Hammerless'. My grandfather had a .32 IJ Hammerless that he carried as an 'off-duty' in the 1940s and 1950s then kept as a 'house gun' until he died. Unfortunately, when he passed away, my uncle snagged onto it, had it reblued, and framed it to hang on the wall of his den.

Bill

Ithaca Gunner
08-28-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't see an issue shooting it with factory loads, or equivalent hand loads. Just bear in mind, it was made for personal defense, not an everyday shooter.

BNE
08-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the input.

Ilwil
08-28-2016, 09:24 PM
Iver Johnson's trademark was an owl's head embossed on the grips. I used my grandfather's .38 S&W as a prop in he school play, with the full consent of the drama teacher. Everyone took turns at dry fire. When the play was done, I took it home. That was a long time ago. When I tell younger people of it, they cannot comprehend it.

Ballistics in Scotland
08-29-2016, 07:40 AM
It looks like an Iver Johnson and probably is, but there is very little that is patentable in external appearance of a revolver. You wouldn't conclude that a revolver is a Colt SAA just because it has the styling of one. Here is the action of the break-open Iver Johnsons, with the double action hammer lifter which they copied from the French military 1873 and extended to act as a transfer bar, letting them out of the need for a rebounding hammer.

If it has a tight action and seems well finished, even if not an Iver Johnson, that would suggest materials good enough for standard commercial .38S&W loads, which were designed to be safe in revolvers of this type.