PDA

View Full Version : Target scope crosshair wire

gnoahhh
08-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Anybody know the diameter of typical (fine) crosshair wire as used in Fecker, Unertl, Litschert scopes, and where to find it? Any tips/tricks regarding installation of same? (Test case: 10x Litschert.)

Tnfalconer
08-27-2016, 11:38 PM
I'll dig some up and measure it for you. I have some here. I rebuilt a few UNERTL's a few years back. The trick is to use small hemostat clamps to hold the hair in the correct place and let the excess hang and keep it tight. Remove the screws and put a drop of CA glue on the ring before the screw. That is the easy way. Then put the screw in and tighten it.

Tnfalconer
08-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Here is where you can get some. I am thinking it is 0.0003 diameter but I can't read it. These guys can help.

Parsons scope service
2213 Smith Road
P. O. Box 192
Ross OH 45061
(513) 867-0820

gnoahhh
08-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks. I'll give them a shout.

44man
08-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Unertl's were not sealed. Wires rusted. A spot looked like house. I had a pack of wire from them but don't know the dimensions. I tried my hair and dog hair and spider web. I seen a log in the scope.
Take a modern scope apart, you better have a way to put nitrogen in and seal. Wire must be tight or there will be a sag.

waksupi
08-28-2016, 10:38 AM
I had a couple friends who used to restore scopes. They said cat hair was the only thing fine enough, that they had found.

John Boy
08-28-2016, 11:59 AM
gnoahhh - the answer for the source for wire has been posted on the ASSRA forum!
10 bucks for 3 ft lengths in the diameter of your choice

KCSO
08-28-2016, 12:52 PM
They used spider web in the old days. I wish I could remember which old book I have that had instructions for re hairing a scope.

gnoahhh
08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks, John Boy. I followed the link and bought some right then and there.

B R Shooter
08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Here is where you can get some. I am thinking it is 0.0003 diameter but I can't read it. These guys can help.

Parsons scope service
2213 Smith Road
P. O. Box 192
Ross OH 45061
(513) 867-0820

Not to hijack this thread, but what do these folks do? What scopes do they work on and how involved do they get? Any chance they do power bumps?

Sorry for the off post.

NoAngel
08-29-2016, 01:45 PM
An older gentleman at my gun club says a hair from his 6 year old grand daughter worked good. Much finer than ours.

Tnfalconer
08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but what do these folks do? What scopes do they work on and how involved do they get? Any chance they do power bumps?

Sorry for the off post.

Primarily they repair antique scopes and general maintenance. I don't know if they offer power increases on scopes.

woodbutcher
09-06-2016, 11:51 PM
:D The spider web that was used was from Black Widow webs.Be careful when harvesting.Mama might get a bit testy:wink:[smilie=1:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

gnoahhh
09-08-2016, 09:27 PM
I got the wire installed. All I can say is thank god for magnifying goggles!

Are you sure they used spider web? I was under the impression the material was the silk fibers teased from out of the spider's cocoon.

Drm50
09-08-2016, 10:13 PM
In Jack O'Connor's book, he has a chapter on optics. 1st paragraph : There are two kinds of people who work on scopes, experts and fools. I once spent several hours trying to rehair a old
target scope. I searched all over my shop and basement looking for "hairs". Then I came up with
the idea to use the fine copper wire out of a little coil in a transistor radio. This is very fine wire.
after fooling around and mounting it. Put scope back together, it looked like crossed telephone
poles and that soft copper was deformed with flats and burrs all over it. Since I didn't fall into
expert class I retired as scope repair man. And if you don't purge with gas, scope will fogg.

M-Tecs
09-08-2016, 10:20 PM
The OP has already purchased wire and its for a 10x Litschert. These are not sealed scopes. I replaced the wires in a 15x Litschert about 20 years ago. Getting the wires at 90% was interesting.

I am going to change dia. so I will order some more from one of these sources

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1472393507

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=145779

44man
09-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Military snipers used the Unertl target scopes and I never figured out how, not being sealed. It was accurate but just a damp day made the wires rust.
Best scope I ever had was the Balvar 24, huge thing with no internal adjustments, they were in the mount at the rear. Cross hairs were etched on glass and tapered to almost nothing so as power was increased they looked the same. 6X to 24X. It was sealed and the most deadly accurate I ever shot. It is the one I had on my pre 64 model 70 in 220 Swift. I shot 5 shots into 1/4" at 350 yards with it. My sight in distance back then, shot chucks in the head to over 600 yards. One of my big mistakes in life to sell the outfit. But like now something new meant selling.
Today it is hard to find a scope to follow and a gun that shot like old. Need to be rich!

gnoahhh
09-11-2016, 05:30 PM
The OP has already purchased wire and its for a 10x Litschert. These are not sealed scopes. I replaced the wires in a 15x Litschert about 20 years ago. Getting the wires at 90% was interesting.

I am going to change dia. so I will order some more from one of these sources

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1472393507

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=145779

By wrapping the wire counterclockwise around the top screw (with the screws at 12,3,6,and9 o'clock), and clockwise around the bottom screw, flipping it 90º and repeating with the second wire, the hairs turn out perpendicular. I think they spaced the screw holes so it works out. By that point I was ready to call it a day and put the scope back together and grabbed a beer, happy in the knowledge that I dodged a $100 repair bill with $10 worth of wire and a little time. I didn't bother measuring the screw hole spacing to prove/disprove my theory!

Newboy
09-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Military snipers used the Unertl target scopes and I never figured out how, not being sealed. It was accurate but just a damp day made the wires rust.
Best scope I ever had was the Balvar 24, huge thing with no internal adjustments, they were in the mount at the rear. Cross hairs were etched on glass and tapered to almost nothing so as power was increased they looked the same. 6X to 24X. It was sealed and the most deadly accurate I ever shot. It is the one I had on my pre 64 model 70 in 220 Swift. I shot 5 shots into 1/4" at 350 yards with it. My sight in distance back then, shot chucks in the head to over 600 yards. One of my big mistakes in life to sell the outfit. But like now something new meant selling.
Today it is hard to find a scope to follow and a gun that shot like old. Need to be rich!

Does anyone believe this? Or is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gnoahhh
09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Do you believe it?[smilie=1:

"Trust, but verify."

M-Tecs
09-11-2016, 07:55 PM
The military did use Unertl target scopes. The Unertl scopes were not sealed. I had a far amount of these type scope. I personal have not seen rusted wires.

Geezer in NH
09-11-2016, 08:04 PM
My wifes uncle in the early 1970's cleaned a Weaver 22 scope I had lent him by using a rod and patch. Never found the cross hairs

Alan in Vermont
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Not for a heartbeat!

Drm50
09-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Not for a heartbeat!
I thought it was meant as satire/ joke??? It's not?

gnoahhh
09-11-2016, 11:21 PM
What do you think? ;-)

gnoahhh
09-11-2016, 11:33 PM
The military did use Unertl target scopes. The Unertl scopes were not sealed. I had a far amount of these type scope. I personal have not seen rusted wires.

Tungsten wire (the material of choice) won't rust, tarnish, or write bad checks. I'm pretty sure Unertl was using tungsten universally by the 60's.

The Marines used 8x Unertls on their M1903A1 sniper rifles, a few of which saw service in the Pacific. Since they were linked to the Army for equipment issuance, the 1903A4 probably saw more use in their hands.

I don't know which would have been worse for use in a steamy jungle hell- a Unertl or the Weavers/Alaskans used on the '03A4's. Personally I think I would take my chances with the Alaskan. Or better yet, a Hawaiian. Preferably female.

woodbutcher
09-12-2016, 01:07 AM
[smilie=1:Hi gnoahhh.Is that any thing like"guaranteed to not rip,run,ravel or wear down at the heels"?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

44man
09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Do you believe it?[smilie=1:

"Trust, but verify."
Not many do. it's OK, Wish I had the target, no net then. I had Carol over a RR embankment to come down after every shot to point to the hole. I was getting angry when she pointed to the same spot. CAN'T BE! But it was true. I admit being in a huff as I went down. I never did so crazy. I never did it again either. 3" at 100 was the best because of over spin. The gun was useless at 100. My Rem .222 was best to 300 yards.