PDA

View Full Version : Will this work??

oadad
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I took an 8mm bullet (sized 325) not lubed, using a cigarette roller rapped the paper. Size was .330 after it dried. melted a little alox and lubed the bullets. sized them in my Lyman sizer back to .325. Do you think I drive these bullets to JB velocities without leading the barrel?

bcp477
05-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Theoretically, it could work. Or, maybe not. No one can say with any certainty (especially as every rifle is different) .....you'll just have to try them. .325" final diameter MAY be a bit too large to get the best results. As you would with any load, start low and work up. You'll find the maximum load in time, with enough experimentation. I would recommend only medium fast or medium rifle powders for this, such as Reloder 7 or IMR-3031....or something similar. You might even get good results with a bit slower powder, like IMR-4064. Faster powders, like SR4759 or 2400 (or even faster) will NOT allow you to get to the velocities you want, without exceeding maximum safe pressures. I have been getting good results myself (in my Yugo M48, 8mm rifle) with plain-based bullets (170 grain, flat-nose), first sized to .314", then wrapped two times with .0020" (ordinary lined notebook) paper, with a final dried diameter of about .324". I am getting about 2000 fps at the muzzle with about 32.4 grains of IMR-3031. I am still looking for the MOST accurate load, but the 3031 powder is a good one for this application and I should be pretty close.