PDA

View Full Version : BT Sniper BTX notch die questions

ohnomrbillk
08-27-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm interested in heavy .510 projectiles at subsonic velocity. I saw that BT Sniper had posted this:

This die just crimps the top of the jacket. The point forming die actually finishes the bullet shape. The multi caliber BTX die will work with any caliber to crimp or notch the top of the jacket but you will need the caliber specific swage die set to finish and form the bullet.

Hope I answered your question for you, feel free to ask as many questions as need be.

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian

I'm curious as to what the maximum caliber is for that setup?

I'm envisioning:
-308 or 7.5x55 brass necked up, trimmed, and annealed appropriately.
-Expand with BT Sniper made mandrel that also allows for core seat. Seat premade core
-Switch out to BTX punch. Notch jackets.
-point form as usual in point form die.

Above would work with a cartridge case jacket because you can use the shellholder in the press to hold the case/jacket.

If you were to use a commercial jacket or desired a boat tail bullet, I don't think you would be able to get the cartridge shellholder to work. I'm thinking you could have BT Sniper make a BTX punch that would fit where the core seat punch fits.

uncle dino
08-27-2016, 05:38 PM
I just use a plain punch with a small spring around punch. and run it up into btx die. It self centers. And the spring holds bullet centered on punch..this die is one of my favorites..

ohnomrbillk
08-27-2016, 05:44 PM
I just use a plain punch with a small spring around punch. and run it up into btx die. It self centers. And the spring holds bullet centered on punch..this die is one of my favorites..

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your setup.

Would you please take a picture of your setup so my feeble brain can understand ��

Also, could you measure the OD of the BTX section to give me an idea of what maximum jacket diameter is for the setup?

uncle dino
08-27-2016, 07:43 PM
Here ya go175315175316 it'll be .555 I.d. I just choose a punch slightly larger than jacket. Then slide spring over punch .. Just long enough to hold jacket. Too long and spring will bind in die..spring allows you to run much faster without having to stop and center jacket on punch.. d