PDA

View Full Version : Loose sight pin on Gold Cup

bubblehead
10-28-2005, 12:59 AM
The pin is for the rear sight base and is a solid type. It is so loose that I can move it with light finger pressure.

I thought of peening/flattening it slightly or bending it a tad.

Have any of you had this come up?

Frank46
10-28-2005, 02:57 AM
Bubblehead, years ago I had a series '70 gold cup and after many rounds that pin broke and went south. I tried various sizes of drills till I found one that did require a bit of tapping to get it in. Once I got the right size I used a dremel and cut the smooth shank and installed it. Think the model I had at the time had the elliason (spelling) rear sight and it was common for the factory pin to break. Frank

bubblehead
10-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Frank,

Great idea....glad I thought of it.

Seriously, I think that will work just fine.

Thanks!

Denver
10-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Your idea of flattening/bending the pin is good. You might also try using a piece of appropriately sized Allen wrench shank. I've done this on a couple guns. The sharp edges bite in the metal and really hold.

Herb in Pa
10-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I used an appropriately sized roll pin and haven't had any more problems.

beagle
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Frank...that fix worked on mine as well. Wish I still had it. That pin seems to be the weak point on Gold Cups. My son had the same problems with his also.

Colt should have stiuck to Elliason sights..../beagle

Bubblehead, years ago I had a series '70 gold cup and after many rounds that pin broke and went south. I tried various sizes of drills till I found one that did require a bit of tapping to get it in. Once I got the right size I used a dremel and cut the smooth shank and installed it. Think the model I had at the time had the elliason (spelling) rear sight and it was common for the factory pin to break. Frank