PDA

View Full Version : prayers for my PaPa

DerekP Houston
08-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Well, the cancer seems to be running its course unfortunately. He was admitted to the ER with major pain and put on morphine. Awaiting new information in the morning but any prayers would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully he will be comfortable and allowed to go home at least.

Thanks,
Derek

jcren
08-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Prayers sent

Boaz
08-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Derek I will pray for him and you family . I'm sorry your PaPa is in need .

Half Dog
08-26-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm not the best at wording prayers but I did ask for comfort.

buckwheatpaul
08-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Father, Please bring comfort and grace to Derek's PaPa. He is suffering from the effects of cancer and he is need of being lifted up to You for relief from pain and for grace that You give to those that believe! Father, You are the ultimate healer and I ask that You intervene and bring relief to this man...AMEN

DerekP Houston
08-26-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm not the best at wording prayers but I did ask for comfort.

I'm not either, I leave that to our more eloquent members.

Preacher Jim
08-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Lord we are calling on you in Jesus name to touch Dereks granddad and comfort him and pore your grace and mercy forth to him. also Lord touch his family and comfort them as they care for their loved one in this time.
Amen

square butte
08-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Prayer sent up for your Father and family

smoked turkey
08-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Father, I ask that you place your healing hand on this brother. Lord we understand that to live is Christ, but to die is gain. Either way Derek's papa is victorious. But Lord, being human, we desire that Derek have his papa a little longer. However your will be done. Amen.

Bodydoc447
08-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Prayers sent.

MaryB
08-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Prayers and see if he can do home hospice so he is with family...

Blackwater
08-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Prayers up for you, Derek. May God be merciful on you all.

Boaz
08-27-2016, 06:35 AM
Lord we ask your intervention for Derek's PaPa and family . Please help him recover through your power to heal . Restore him Lord and be close to him in his time of need . Give comfort and strength to him and the family . Be with and hear us as we pray for this healing . Thy will be done . I ask in Jesus name . Amen

w5pv
08-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Prayers sent

WRideout
08-27-2016, 07:30 AM
God grant peace and comfort to Derek's father and his whole family. Amen

Wayne

Hickok
08-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Amen.

Pine Baron
08-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Lord we are calling on you in Jesus name to touch Dereks granddad and comfort him and pore your grace and mercy forth to him. also Lord touch his family and comfort them as they care for their loved one in this time.
Amen
Amen.

USMC87
08-27-2016, 07:57 AM
We will pray for Gods touch in your Granddads life.

WFO2
08-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Prayers for your father you and your family.......

castalott
08-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Sincere Prayers for Relief , Faith, Rest, Mercy, Forgiveness, and Redemption... Prayers for All the Family... Mercy to You All.... Amen

shoot-n-lead
08-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Prayer sent.

DerekP Houston
08-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Went to visit him this morning and find out the options, looks like hospice or in home care from here on out. He is lucid and at least in less pain now, though nature will eventually run its course. I will be absent from the forum for a bit while I process this and help my father out as possible.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

-Derek

Wise Owl
08-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Prayers already sent for a painfree passing to a life with Jesus and NO pain, ever again.

God bless you and yours.

daniel lawecki
08-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Prayers sent

buckwheatpaul
08-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Derek, It is good that your PaPa is experiencing less pain. My prayer is for comfort and grace for your father. Visit with him often and take note of those things that you want to ask and need to ask.....when my father was terminal, I took Family Leave and stayed with my father for the last 2 weeks....it was sad yet some of the best times I had with him.....May God bless you and your father......AMEN

Blackwater
08-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Amen to what Paul said. We all have our time, and if this is your PaPa's, may it be as sweet and painless a transition as possible. But if possible, Lord, let him be with us yet a while longer, and please descend upon him with your grace and mercy. Amen.

DerekP Houston
08-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Well, update from the dr/nurses today. Feeding tubes are out of the question, he can't do intubation or handle the nasal version, and his heart won't handle the PIC? feeding. Good news, he is able to hold down ensure and eat small meals so he'll be with us a bit longer. We are transitioning to home hospice with a nurse stopping by 12hrs a day to start for maintenance and pain medication. Once we have a baseline we will move forward from there. His express wishes earlier in this process was to go home and spend as much time there as possible, with an in patient facility being a last resort. he has sense decided to be stubborn and not want any help/to be a burden and I categorically denied hearing anything of the sort.

If anyone is familiar or gone through similar circumstances feel free to reach out, at this point we are just executing the plan he left in place and following his best interests as we can.

Thanks for the continued prayers, I don't really have much to add other than that, I'll just sit with him and keep him company.

rl69
08-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Stay strong in the lord he is your strength

Ken in Iowa
08-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Prayers up.

buckwheatpaul
08-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Derek, It is apparent that your PaPa is very ill. It is good that he can eat some and drink some. Spend as much time as you can with him and ask those questions that are on your mind and your heart. Like I said, this time is crucial and can be sad and great at the same time.

Father, Please continue to bring comfort and grace to Derek's PaPa. He is at a crossroad and he needs you to wrap Your loving arms around him and give him those things that us mere humans can not do. I give You all the praise. AMEN

Preacher Jim
08-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Derek, lean on Jesus as you care for your papa.
Lord you hold this family in your arms and comfort them, give them strength to care for papa as the healing process continues.
Lord prepare them for your perfect will for papa.
Amen

Blackwater
08-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Derek, this is one of the most heart rending and difficult times a man can face. Just stick with the Master and he'll see you all through it. It's times like these, when we're forced to face so many facts of life that we don't normally want to face, that some of our most crucial lessons can be learned. The pain of loss is based largely on the pleasure and fine example those folks like your Papa have provided you for so many years. This is a time when his wishes and decisions are paramount, and surpass most of our own wishes. Just do as he has directed when his mind was clear, and he'll thank you later, and give you a well-earned hug in Christian faith. You WILL meet again on the other side. And we never really lose the great and significant ones in our lives. All they taught us, and instilled in us, and the examples they set for us, are everlasting, and cannot be lost, so even if he's not here physically with you at some point, he'll still be inside you, and you can really thank God for that. Not everyone has good Moms, Dads, and Grands. Only the really lucky ones. Be sure to thank God for that, and all your Papa meant to you, and for His letting you have him here for so long. I am SO grateful to God for the family I've had! It's a very humbling and blessed thing to have really good family.

DerekP Houston
08-31-2016, 07:13 PM
Would you believe this stubborn ol' blood? We are back at home and he insists on following his routine still. Won't let me help him at all besides annoying him by checking on him. Even went off the pain meds because he didn't like feeling "fuzzy" and forgetful. Insists on still doing his "chores" around the house. Going to miss him a bunch, hope the nurses don't pester him too much tomorrow. Apparently they are not very timely and we are punctual type folks that don't like being ignored.

I'll keep posting my updates here if it doesn't bother anyone, just trying to keep my thoughts straight and kill some time while he rests.

opos
08-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Prayers sent. I learned with my Dad that it was really important to take care of myself while caring for him..

Blackwater
08-31-2016, 08:51 PM
Now THAT is AWESOME news! Thank God for the power of prayers! Is our God a wonderful God or what?

MaryB
08-31-2016, 10:16 PM
The will to live can sometimes bring a miracle so I will keep up the prayers.

buckwheatpaul
09-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Derek, Your PaPa is definitely his own man! Glad he is home and glad you are trying to help and be with him......remember, You wont change him.....he has a lot of experience being the man that he is ..... Still praying for comfort and peace for your dad, you, and your family....Paul

slim1836
09-01-2016, 07:42 AM
I'm also not much on putting words on the screen, however, prayers have been sent.

Slim

Pine Baron
09-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Prayers sent. I learned with my Dad that it was really important to take care of myself while caring for him..

Wise advice, Derek. Prayers sent

SSGOldfart
09-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Amen,sounds like he's doing little better,I hate that "fuzzy feeling" myself

DerekP Houston
09-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Amen,sounds like he's doing little better,I hate that "fuzzy feeling" myself

With a softball size tumor on his neck "better" is a relative term. I'll keep up my daily prayers and check in with the current caregivers (my father and now an inlaw). As I mentioned before there is no return from a terminal diagnosis, the best I can hope for is following his wishes and chasing away anyone bothering him. Thanks yall for listening and letting me vent my frustrations here as they come. Looks to be a few more weeks at this point, I'm not happy to see him go but I hate to see him like this and I know he hates it too.

big bore 99
09-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Prayers sent.

Artful
09-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Prayer offered for the best possible outcome for him and comfort for you and your family

buckwheatpaul
09-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Father, Please make Derek's PaPa comfortable. Take any fears from him, his family, and his friends. Father, PaPa needs your special attention for peace, comfort, and grace as he approaches the end. Father, You are in charge and not one of us know when our final moments will occur; but please make those precious final moments special ones for Derek, his family, and PaPa's friends. AMEN

Preacher Jim
09-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Derek the family of cast boolits is with you and praying

jlchucker
09-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Prayer on the way.

DerekP Houston
09-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks yall, truly appreciate it.

Boaz
09-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Derek the family of cast boolits is with you and praying

Jim is right . We care and are praying .

Pine Baron
09-02-2016, 01:55 PM
+3 with the above. Derek, you are on the top of my prayer list.

DerekP Houston
09-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks again yall for letting me get my frustrations out. He passed peacefully in his sleep at 3:52pm this afternoon. The vigil is over and he is out of pain. Per his request he will be interred next to my grandma/his wife and 2 sons that have passed on. I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers, he is home now and out of pain.

Boaz
09-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Lord be close to Derek and his family as they adjust their lives . Keep and comfort them Lord and help them strengthen one another . Thank you for being there for them Lord . Thank you Lord . Amen

buckwheatpaul
09-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Lord be close to Derek and his family as they adjust their lives . Keep and comf ort them Lord and help them strengthen one another . Thank you for being there for them Lord . Thank you Lord . Amen

Derek, I could not say it any better....Rest in Peace PaPa.....May God bless Derek, his family, and the friends that were close to his father. AMEN

Preacher Jim
09-03-2016, 10:57 PM
We pray for Derek and his family as they walk through the stages of grief and the services for his grandfather. Lord hold them and guide them let your grace flow and support them.
Thank you Lord for being there to help Derek.
Amen

Blackwater
09-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Dear Lord, please be with Derek and his Papa's whole family. Help them to be joyful and thankful that they had such a man in their lives, rather than sorrowful that he's not there any more. Send your grace and mercy to them, and let your satisfaction and appreciation descend on them in this, their hour of sorrow. It is impossible for us to not feel a void where these great ones in our lives used to occupy. Help us all to learn that all that is, and all that we are, belongs to you, and grant us the peace that comes with knowing thee more fully. Amen.

Pine Baron
09-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Amen to all the above. Derek, I know that this was not unexpected, even so, it doesn't make it any easier. My sincere condolences and prayer in this time of grieving.

DerekP Houston
09-04-2016, 05:59 PM
indeed thanks again. I guess I should've clarified, Mr Eugene Peoples (God rest his soul) refused to be named "grandpa" or any mixture there of. Hence forth he has always been and always shall be known as "PaPa" with a pronunciation like "papal" rhymes with yall. I've known the end was near since he let me back in the house months ago and will honor his wishes as best possible. I chased out as many visitors as I could and he died peacefully with just my father and I as he wanted. If anyone is stubborn enough to haunt us from the grave, it would be him. As such I didn't take any chances beyond asking for prayers here. I want to thank yall for letting me vent through this, and as such it is over. My Dad is back in Dallas, and it was best PaPa got to go home for a short while instead of lingering in a home for months.

shoot-n-lead
09-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Prayer sent for the family.

jlchucker
09-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Prayer sent.

Artful
09-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Prayer sent

Blackwater
09-04-2016, 10:46 PM
You did very well, Derek. I think it was in "The Shootist" where John Wayne in character as J. B. Books, commented that there's nothing more personal than a man's crossing over, and I'm sure that Papa was glad that you and your Dad were there with him for his crossing over. It's what I'd want, and I think the best a person can do for men like your Papa. It's hard to keep the friends and neighbors out, but you did, and you did very well in so doing. I know this meant something to your Papa that was significant, and I know he appreciates what you two did for him at the last. Thanks for being a great grandson. These things matter.

WRideout
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
I know that you loved your PaPa very much, and it mattered to him that you were there. There would be no grief if there were no love. Peace of Christ be with you, and your whole family.

Wayne

DerekP Houston
09-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Well, a bit of a happy update on this story. It seems my father and papa had discussed my wishes for the house to stay in the family instead of being torn down. It appears we will be renovating his house a slight bit and if all goes well with the inspection moving in to it. Benefits my father to keep it maintained and "in the family" for reunions/christmas visits etc and he didn't want it torn down either. With the savings from not paying a mortgage we can afford either a 2nd child or to put my son in private school when he is of age. We are going to walk the neighborhood this weekend and have my uncle (contractor) appraise the house and let me know what sort of repairs we can expect.

Win/Win in my book, even if we just sell and live there for a few years until my dad decides he'd like it back. Without the mortgage note we would be completely debt free and able to accelerate our savings/retirement/college fund planning.

Boaz
09-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear it Derek . Your Papa is still helping along with dad . Hope everything works out well for everyone , Thanks for the update .

buckwheatpaul
09-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Derek, That is great....hope that you and your family are doing well....losing a family member, father, is very hard and your Cast Boolits family is there for you brother....Paul

Pine Baron
09-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Happy to hear your good news, Derek. Sounds like a plan. May God bless this endeavor.

castalott
09-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Praise God! Funny how things can work out...... Dale

Blackwater
09-15-2016, 09:08 AM
God does indeed work in mysterious and unexpected ways, and he often gives us things through the back door route that we couldn't and would never have expected. Old homesteads DO become rather poignantly meaningful to most of us. My old home place, built by my grandfather 125 years ago now, is my son's now, and what they've done with the place is SO impressive to me. My grandkids are the 5th generation to grow up in the place, and it's built from wood no amount of money can buy today because it doesn't exist any more. All heart yellow pine in the main parts, and someone on the 'net gave me a link to the site that lists the engineering specs for it, and I was kind'a shocked at how much stronger it was than most other traditional building materials. The only concern with it is that it can withstand just about anything but a match! With its very high resin content, which gives it some of its strength, resilence and toughness, if it ever catches fire, the policy of the local fire dept. is to just stand back and prevent it from spreading. Experience has led them to understand that once these things begin to burn, they're just gone despite their best efforts, so they wisely just keep the damage confined to the house alone, and don't risk the firefighters' lives any more than necessary to keep it from spreading.

Nothing is forever, and I consider myself lucky to have grown up in a home like this, and my son and grandson have grown quite fond of it, too. It's a great place for two young boys to grow up. And it kind'a helps teach the boys about the value of doing things right, too - always harder to do in this "modern" world, and I consider that a much more significant asset than most would believe it to be these days.

It's also a great way to honor those who got us here to start with. Take good care of it, Derek. It'll come to mean more to you with each passing year.

castalott
09-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Southern Yellow Pine is good stuff... My boss said it would hold up a freight train... we built trusses out of machine stress rated ( MSR) yellow pine and they were good....

DerekP Houston
07-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Hard to believe it has almost been a year since he passed. On another note, it's also hard to believe we are still under construction fixing the place up!

Here's the original kitchen

And here's the latest update

Pretty close to being ready for move in! Still have to paint and tile the kitchen, redo both bathrooms, and replace the shed....but the finish line is in sight for the kitchen.

Pine Baron
07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Lookin' good, brother.

NyFirefighter357
07-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Good deal, wish I was closer to help. I can do all of those things.

Preacher Jim
07-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Derek I remember when you started and brother you have done a great job. Your papa would be proud of your efforts.

Boaz
07-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Derek I remember when you started and brother you have done a great job. Your papa would be proud of your efforts.

What Jim said ! Thank you for being here Derek !

buckwheatpaul
07-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Derek, You are doing well and your PaPa would be proud! Keep the progress pictures coming....Paul

Blackwater
08-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Good work, Jim. FWIW, when my son started in remodelling the old home place, I didn't know he has a sentimental bone in his body, but he sure showed me something. He was going to use the "beaded board" for a wainscoat, but upon taking it down as carefully as he could, he found termites had entered at the end of the boards and hollowed them out from one end to the other! He'd had it checked for termites, and it got a great report, but those wallboards were the one thing they couldn't see the ends of because of how it was made. But I am still sure that my grandpa is smiling a very big smile up in Heaven at what my son has done with the place. And the fact that he did much of the work with his own two hands surely has that smile turning (almost?) into a bit of a gloat! Old home places are so often torn down, and mostly by folks who don't know a thing about the value and specs of the lumber they're so callously demolishing! Older homes tend to be a bit smallish, but my Grandpa raised 6 kids in that old house, and my son even added an upstairs to it, even while keeping the high ceilings! Growing up in a house with those high ceilings, I'll always feel a bit "pinched" for space in a house like mine with std. 8' ceilings!

Remember that old song that said, "You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone?" Old homes can be very much like that, though most don't even WANT to realize what they've thrown away, for something more "glitzy." Old, tried and true beats "new and glitzy" every time in my book, at least. Ya' done good, 'bro! REAL good! Keep up the good work! Your Papa would be proud of you!