PDA

View Full Version : old archery target vs ruger sbh

tdoyka
08-25-2016, 12:10 AM
just for giggles, i took out my ruger sbh in 44 mag with a 4 5/8" barrel and i have an old archery target that measures 18"x18"x18". its made out of rubber/plastic foam and a canvas cover.

i choose a 44 sp with 250gr mihek hp(40:1) and skeeter skelton's 7.5gr of unique. one that i wish to try on PA's deer from 50 yards or less. i figure the old archery target will approx. the deer lungs. i don't plan on shooting the deer in the shoulder, so it should work. i put the target at 25 and 50 yards.

at 25 yards the sbh goes right thru the target, thru 8 or 9' of air and then it goes into a railroad tie.
at 50 yards the sbh goes right thru the target, thru 8 or 9' of air and then it goes into a railroad tie.

well i was expecting the 25 yarder to go right thru, but the 50 yarder i was kinda expecting a boolit not to go thru. it did stop in the railroad tie and because i am disabled;-), i don't really want to dig it out. i did manage to find a tape and by putting a long piece of grass stock thru the railroad track, i discovered it went 2 1/2 - 2 3/4" into the tie. i was just curious of what the boolit did. maybe someday i will dig it out.

i was really surprised that the hp at 50 yards did go thru the target. the boolit did not leave any pieces that i could see. anyway, i'm glad that i can use the 250gr hp with skeeter's load to take any whitetail up to 50 or so yards.

WebMonkey
08-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Track or tie ?
Serious projectile penetrating metal track.
;)
In any event, sounds like you have a game getter!

4bisley5
08-25-2016, 11:26 AM
I re-purpose my archery deer target to prepare for gun season. When I wear out the replaceable core from shooting my bow I put a small piece of brown paper over it and it becomes my handgun target. After deer season goes out I replace the core and the cycle begins all over.

tdoyka
08-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Track or tie ?
Serious projectile penetrating metal track.
;)
In any event, sounds like you have a game getter!

lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:!!!!

i would luv it if it could penetrate a metal track!!! but no a wooden tie. my bad! i'm correcting it now....

44man
08-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Not a good comparison at all. But don't worry, You will kill.

tdoyka
08-27-2016, 04:37 PM
eh, i tried!!!:lol::kidding: i was a little worried if the hp would go thru at 50 yards. but after seeing it, i don't have a problem.

44man
08-28-2016, 09:24 AM
We were shooting in my back yard with my wood pile for a backup. I recovered a boolit from my .475 after going end to end in 16" of dry seasoned oak and into another I had to split to get the boolit. Shot a stack of gallon jugs and blew 4 up, split the fifth and the boolit went through 17 jugs. Did not recover the boolit.
Then watched a video of water balloons hung and shot with a .44 mag. Bullet was caught in the fourth or fifth, NOT a deer bullet. They made a big deal over it. Sorry the bullet would not exit a deer. I never found any test that equals an animal.