PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 Update

abunaitoo
08-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Monday had a Win 10 update. Took almost an hour. Had to restart a few times.
After everything loaded, computer got slow.
Slow to start, change pager, change web sights, downloads, just slow everything.
This morning there was another update. This one was faster. Only a few minutes.
Everything except start up got much faster.
Almost back to how it was before the first update.
I wish they would just go back to XP for desktops.

DougGuy
08-24-2016, 07:38 PM
Check into PC-BSD it is a very user friendly distro of FreeBSD, it's fast and everything in it is free. Free office, photo editors, great audio engine, VLC movie player, can run some windows programs in it if you use wine. I've got it on a backline machine here that used to run windows 10 but the last two upgrades of 10 won't run on this old hardware so I put PC-BSD on it and love it.

mozeppa
08-24-2016, 08:06 PM
win 10 sux

kayala
08-24-2016, 08:11 PM
How do you use your computer ? If you're not playing video games there's a good chance you may get rid of windows once and for all. There are number of Linux distributions which are already very user friendly. There's free Office suite if you use it. As a bonus your computer will be MUCH more secure and not a subject to spying.

DerekP Houston
08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Eh it's ok, but a bit bloated with extra stuff. I'll take a look at that version of Linux might be nice to try.

Libre office is a great alternative and free, been using it for years.

DougGuy
08-24-2016, 08:45 PM
PC-BSD is FreeBSD, not linux. Very similar, and most of the commands are shared but the file system is different and I find BSD to be closer to OS/2 than linux. There are no viruses written for BSD, so no antivirus needed, comes with a firewall secure enough to use on nuke subs, it does great routing and networking, quite robust.

I hadn't visited FreeBSD since 4.5 about 20yrs ago, but the thing I really liked about BSD, is that you would choose a component you wanted, and it would figure out all the dependencies that each component needed, and compile with them in there.

You could have a stripped version or a full enterprise solution just by what you chose, and when it finished installing, it all ran!

I had hoped windows would do this, you log into your M$ account, choose all the stuff you want and none of what you don't want, they compile it for you, you pays your money and download your image straight to your computer where it would then install.

I guess this would make entirely too much sense. BTW, Microsoft, has coined their very own version of FreeBSD. Wonder how many bugs they managed to compile with it?

How do you use your computer ? If you're not playing video games there's a good chance you may get rid of windows once and for all. There are number of Linux distributions which are already very user friendly. There's free Office suite if you use it. As a bonus your computer will be MUCH more secure and not a subject to spying.

3-D games run their Beh00tie off in PC-BSD! Check out the stunning 3D stuff this kid shows, then tells how he got it to run:

https://youtu.be/B04EuZ9hpAI

dbarry1
08-24-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm running ubuntu 15 - it works great.

DougGuy
08-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Just started running Linux Mint 18 _Sarah_ - Release amd64 20160628]/ xenial contrib main non-free. Looks really good.