PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-24-2016, 06:30 AM
But He said to them, "Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth."—Mark 1:38 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=ee0da29bde&e=3dd732485b)Jesus went and met the woman at the well in Samaria because she had an appointment with God. In Jesus' detour into enemy territory, we see two important concerns as we bring the message of the gospel today.

First, we have to go to where people are. Jesus did not say that the whole world should go to church; He said the church should go into the whole world. As Mark's Gospel tells us, "And He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature' " (Mark 16:15 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://8)).

When Harvest Ministries was doing an outreach in Disneyland a number of years ago, I was asked, "Why are you doing this in a place like Disneyland? Why would you come and hold an event in a place like this?"

I said, "Because Jesus said, 'Go into all the world,' and He did not exempt Disneyland. There are people there. And we want to reach people." The glorious thing is that many people came into the kingdom through that outreach. We need to go to where people are.

Second, we need to care about the people we speak to. Jesus needed to go to Samaria because He cared about this woman (see John 4:4). When the apostle Paul was in Athens, he saw the city that was given over to idolatry, and his spirit was stirred within him (see Acts 17:16–17 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://9)). He felt righteous indignation as he saw so many turning to false gods.

In the same way, any effective sharing of the gospel must always begin with a God-given burden. We have to care. Jesus cared. Do you? Do you want to reach out to perishing people

Boaz
08-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Thank you rl69 . We are to witness , testify and spread his word .

Pine Baron
08-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Thanks, rl. We always need to do our best.

Preacher Jim
08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
He said the church should go into the whole world. As Mark's Gospel tells us, "And He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature' " (Mark 16:15 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://8)).
That is the problem the church says come in when Jesus said go out. He also said compell them to come in. all those things plus the Great Commision involve getting out and witnessing. not sitting in the padded pews waiting.
great verse and thoughts.

Blackwater
08-24-2016, 02:15 PM
What a great post to me! I find particular merit in your closing thoughts: "In the same way, any effective sharing of the gospel must always begin with a God-given burden. We have to care. Jesus cared. Do you? Do you want to reach out to perishing people?"

In my days as a probation and parole officer, I found many instances where my clients (yeah, that's what they call them these days!) were vulnerable, a simple and appropriate quote from the Bible tended to get through to them in a way nothing else probably could have. Just stated quietly, and without put-down, and with real concern for them and hope that they'd finally "see," it's amazing who it works with and who sloughs it off.

Often, it's the last one's you'd expect to respond, and often, the ones you had the most hope for are the ones who most easily and casually slough it off. I may not be the brightest bulb around, but how dark would one have to be to miss something like this?

We never really know who'll respond and who won't. Much has to do with our attitude. If we talk down to them, or are in the least sort of way haughty or show the slightest bit of condemnation, most of them were all to ready to accept that as validation for their own haughtiness and hostilities.

Only when extended in a manner similar to that which Christ used - a genuaine, calm, peaceful and very self-assured but never condescending attitude - it's often amazing who responds. Grown men cry when they realize how wrong they've been in their own attitudes and perceptions and cynicism. And that's when the doors within them swing wide open, and you can deal with them as simply just another sinner in need of salvation.

And it works! It's not very commonly encountered, but if everything you say and do with them is aimed at getting them to that point, it tends to happen more often and more earnestly.

We never really know who's going to respond or why, or what's been going on inside their minds before we are before them. So just cast such bread as you have to offer. Even that need not be "perfect." Mostly, it just needs to simply be sincere, honest, caring and true. Even the "meanest" among us have soft spots!

We tend to classify folks. Christ never tended to do this unless and until he had real knowledge of their receptiveness, and He had a great advantage over us in being supernatural. We can't know that, but of course, we also need to be always concerned with our safety. He never expected anyone to risk their lives, for instance, when they were being hunted.

There used to be something called "common sense" that seems to be giving way to "policy" and sometimes even to theology these days. Condemnation never saved a single soul, even when it might have been easily appropriate. But condemn the action, not the actor. The actor, 90+% of the time, is just a confused and desperate soul full of anguish and pain, searching for a real way out of it all. If we condemn them, we drive them further back into that mess.

If we can just find them at a spot where they're vulnerable, and where they at least have some motivation to at least consider a different way than the one they've been pursuing, we have a chance to bring them to light. And don't be surprised if the last person you'd expect to respond is the one who does! We don't know half as much as we think we do. And if we don't believe to the marrow of our bones that all have at least some chance of salvation, I don't believe we're fully functioning Christians.

It seems we moderns have quit expecting or valuing surprises in these matters. But they're out there, and awaiting us or someone to simply do what we've been told to do, and take the Word to all, even those we so often erroneously assume won't "get it." We sometimes need to allow for a little suprise now and then, and work on our attitudes. Then it's surprising what all results!