PDA

View Full Version : Old .38 S&W Break Top

versifier
10-28-2005, 12:13 AM
We have an old .38 S&W that's been in the family since two generations before me, but it's in excellent shape. (Better than me...) I'd like shoot it, but I've developed a bad allergy to factory ammo. Anybody have some info on the ins and outs of this old timer, where to scare up a mold for those outside lubed bullets, and some data? 8-)

fourarmed
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Since you've had it 2 generations, you should know, but I didn't think the .38 S&W cartridge was outside lubed. I know it isn't now.

Bret4207
10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
If it's an actual 38 S+W and so marked, not short Colt or something, then Lyman and most other reloading concerns can provide data, Starline makes brass. Finding a proper size boolit isthe problem since you need something around 150 gr that goes a minimum of .360. Standard .358 moulds might work, but probably are too small. Some folks use soft hollow base wad cutters and a pinch of Bullseye with good results.

Mel-4857
10-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I have a model10 Smith in 38S&W plus an Enfield and both shoot hollow base wadcutters well but have used 158 gr semi-wadcutters cast soft which work as well. 2grs of Red Dot or 700x is all you need, Bullseye as well. Mel

crazy mark
10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
The 358250, 360271, and 358430's in 150 and 200 gr work good in all my 38 S&W's. I have 5 different revolvers in this caliber. I find 2.5 to 3 grs of Unique works well for me. I do load my solid frame revolvers a little stouter. Mark

Buckshot
10-31-2005, 09:12 AM
..........versifier, so who made this bit of wunder armament? :D The Lyman cast Boolit Man-u-el has loads specified as safe for 'Quality' top breaks, ie: S&W, Iver Johnson, H&R, Enfields, Webley's. There were some top breaks of dubious quality that maybe shouldn't be shot, but just looked at.

The 2 mentioned British top breaks are comparatively immensely strong to most small top break pocket/night stand revolvers.

Data, we need data [smilie=l:

.............Buckshot

versifier
11-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Buckshot, It's an old S&W. It's got a little holster wear, but the action is slick and has been well cared for over the years, though never in my lifetime has it been fired. Family memorabilia I guess you'd call it. My great uncle carried it as a backup when he was a Mass state trooper during Prohibition. We have a photo of him on an old Indian with the "suicide shift" on the side. (That's way back before it became The Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts. Now they'd require a permit for your pecker if they could get away with it. No fit place to live anymore, hasn't been for a long time.) I blew about forty years of dust off of the ammo boxes and Lo & behold, Fourarmed, as you wisely suspected, I discovered a memory malfunction. Happens. I found some data in my old copy of NRA's Reloading, too. I do have a .360 round ball mold, might that work? The .358 molds I have are definitely too small. Thanks to all for suggestions, too. :grin:

Buckshot
11-02-2005, 04:18 AM
...........Cast up most any 38 boolit out of pure lead, lube with Lee TL and you're set. A good old S&W in 38 S&W should be safe with 2.4grs of Bullseye, W231, Red Dot and a 148gr WC,

............Buckshot

Springfield
11-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I shoot all my S&W topbreaks with Blackpowder, but back when I did smokeless I used a 100 grain bullet with 2 grains of Bullseye. All of the factory ammo I had used were WAY hotter than this load. I like to use smaller bullets, the guns are old, why abuse them. In cowboy shoting all I have to do is hit the steel plate, not create a huge wound cavity. If you get a smaller 38 special mould and use them as cast they should be close to .360.