PDA

View Full Version : Planted a seed

Toymaker
08-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Had a local muzzle loading competition and I was running the range, shooting the match and doing the scoring. Lots of work, but fun.
After the match I had the RO duty for the afternoon. That gave me the chance to shoot a little before cleaning up. At one point a man came in with his daughter, about 11, and set up on the bench next to me. First rifle out was a small sized AR platform .22 in camo-pink. The little girl loaded her magazine, set up the rifle in the bench, and did a righteous job on a 25 yard target. With open sights no less. I was impressed.
Next rifle out was Dad's full sized AR platform in .308 and a scope. The little girl loaded up a couple of magazines and I thought "Isn't that nice. She's loading up for her father." Nope. She popped that mag in, settled down on the bench and eliminated the 10 ring on a target at 50 yards. I was enchanted.
So I ask the father "Do you think she'd like to shoot a muzzle loader?" He's been working her up in recoil gradually and wasn't sure about a 40 caliber. I assured him that recoil was more of a shove than a kick and it was certainly less than the .308 she'd just shot. I offered to let him shoot it first to gauge the recoil for himself.
At the loading bench I went through the process explaining everything and why it was done. The little girl watched carefully and listened to everything. I put the rifle in the rest and looked at the father to be seated. The little girl sat down, looked at her father and said "Me!" He said ok. So I explained the double set triggers, sighting, and let her drop the hammer a couple of times to get the feel for it. Then I put a cap on and told her she was live. There was a clay bird stuck on the target frame at 25 yards which she sighted on very carefully. She pulled the set trigger and laid her finger up high above the trigger guard. She snuggled into the stock, sighted and gently moved her finger down to the trigger. BOOM!! "WOW!!!!" and her eyes were big as saucers. The clay bird was no more. The hole in the backer told me it was a near perfect center shot. Dad was grinning. I was grinning. The little girl looked up and said "That was daddy's, now do I get mine?"

Half Dog
08-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Touches my heart. Thanks

rfd
08-22-2016, 05:00 PM
just awesome ... wow. way to go, toymaker!

smokeywolf
08-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Wonderful, wonderful story. Thank Heaven for little girls.

smokeywolf

rodwha
08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Smart girl mentioning it was daddy's shot she had fired!

rancher1913
08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
we need more people like you and her father in this world, not to mention more of girls like her.

MrWolf
08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Excellent! Nice job and you gave her a memory and story to tell others.

pietro
08-22-2016, 09:10 PM
The little girl looked up and said "That was daddy's, now do I get mine?"

That gal's going to develop into a force to be reckoned with, fer sure !

I'm glad you allowed the magic to happen !

leeggen
08-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Yes now dad will foot the bill for a muzzle loader. Great job, sounds like the girl is a natural.
CD

nagantguy
08-22-2016, 09:36 PM
I will take this story to bed with me! so many kind people.made my daughters trip from shooter and stand sitter to hunter, many of them reside here! A man is never as big and strong as he is when he stoops to help.a.child!!!! good for you, her and her father!!! I don't usually post this but God bless you sir!

Bzcraig
08-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Wonderful, wonderful story. Thank Heaven for little girls.

Amen...

bedbugbilly
08-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Great story! I'm thinking that you may have gained two more . . . Daddy and Daughter . . . . in the land of "Holy Black"!

And bless her Daddy for getting here in to shooting! I would imagine that they are making a lot of memories . . and your kind gesture certainly added to them!

charlie b
08-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Nice job!!

Girls can be either not interested at all, or they are deadly shots. Not sure why, but the girls I have taught pick it up faster and shoot better quicker than male counterparts. Especially handguns.

BPJONES
08-23-2016, 08:37 PM
It's great that you gave her a chance to experience a muzzleloader. Hopefully she will stay interested.

jjarrell
08-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Some of my best times in life were shooting and hunting with my 2 daughters. I was a single dad with custody of my daughters, and out of necessity we did everything together. I was in the military at the time and I took them to the base combat arms range on Wednesdays when the Rod and Gun Club reserved it. I had them take their hunter and firearms safety courses at that same Rod and Gun Club. They were 7, and 9 years old and even then they were crack shots with my .22. Later we went squirrel, pheasant, and deer hunting together. It always made them so very excited when we would go. They are grown now and I wouldn't trade those days for all the money in the world. Now my son is 16 and he's the only one left at home. I had a custom .54 cal Hawken made by Howard Kelly for his 16th birthday, and he's been sending round balls downrange all summer getting ready for deer season. I guess I don't have a point to my rambling. I suppose I wanted to share because I cherish the memories with my girls and the time afield with my son. Have a good evening all.

snoopy
08-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Great story, and thank you. Yes, there is hope.

rintinglen
08-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Outstanding! Bless every one involved.

jjarrell
08-30-2016, 09:13 PM
You know as rough and tough as the rest of the world may see us, a small child will soften us up with nothing more than a look or a tear. At least they do me, I can't speak for everyone else.

Lead Fred
08-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Thats Merica