PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464 SXP 30-30 Win lever gun, any experience?

AJG
08-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Any experience with the Mossberg 464 SXP 30-30 Win lever gun?
Please share any personal experience with the Mossberg 464 SXP 30-30 Win Lever gun as I consider it if I can reload that cartridge.

Is the gun reliable, is it well made, accuracy, and any personal experience please!

Ramjet-SS
08-21-2016, 08:11 PM
I bought mine a month ago. I have run 200 rounds through it. Some 125 grain Sierra. Hornady FTX and mostly 170 FP from an Accurate mould that load was 32.0 Grains of LeverRevolution. It is very accurate and hits like a hammer averaging 2005 FPS. I shoot off hand at 75 yards running the lever from the shoulder and keep all my shots in about an 8" circle. Not bad considering how fast I am running the gun.

The gun levers rounds fine and like any gun was stiff at first but as ran it through the paces it loosened up and runs really smooth now.

I purchased AO sights peep and front post as this gun is a truck gun for utility purpose. I like it and feel it is what it is intended to be a utility gun.

I like the the stock adjustment. My wife is of small stature so having that adjustability allows her to shoot the rifle with confidence. The adjustable comb is also a welcome feature as it allows you to get the rifle tuned into the shooter for solid cheek yeild. This feature is over looked but on a utility rifle that may be pressed into action as a self defense weapon consistent shooting comes from these small but well planned features. It also allows the chambering of a round and not loosing the sight picture.

The price point is a good value for rifle that can serve many purposes.

The SPX is not for everyone and is chastised by the Levergun purest. That's OK the purpose of the weapon is more important to me than the nostalgia. I have several rifles that fill that purpose. This rifle is a utility rifle plain and simple and it is plain and simple.......

AJG
08-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Thank you for your reply Ramjet-SS.

If I can Import gun powder from the USA (I am located in Southamerica and here we can not have gun powder nor molds and reloading is not seen well by te governement) I will be able to reload that cartridge and probably buy that gun.
Right now I reload only 9mm Luger and 38 short Colt/9mm Federal Rimmed by scavenging shotshells for powder in order to reload. That actually works very well for handgun cartridges similar to 9mm Luger (case is almost full, no empty airspace and bullet sits rigth against the powder) since they are technically the most efficient case/caliber (few powder, no empty airspace in case).
Thanks for your info.

Ramjet-SS
08-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Well if the ammo is available about any 150-170 grain ammo does just fine in the turdy turdy.

FergusonTO35
08-22-2016, 04:17 PM
I had the standard wood stock version for awhile. Good rifle for the price, certainly better than the late model Winchester 94 I used to have.