PDA

View Full Version : looking for new press ?

LUCKYDAWG13
08-21-2016, 04:51 PM
I want a new single stage press mostly because I have had the same press sense before i was born it's Lyman Comet uses the old "J" style shell holders witch are getting harder to find had one crack on me today sizing some 30/06 brass anyway what is a good single stage press for Rifle reloading I'm thinking RCBS but what one or something else NO LEE press pleases also looking at this http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/reloading-presses-press-kits%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104516280/forster-co-ax-press/741213.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Freloa ding-presses-press-kits%2F_%2FN-1100195%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104516280

dragon813gt
08-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Even though you said no Lee. The Lee Classic Cast is the best single stage available. Any press that doesn't have a hollow ram for primer disposal is behind the times. The classic cast can handle swaging duty so it's more than strong enough. You can spend more on a press but you aren't getting a stronger better press unless you get one that's cast steel.

salpal48
08-21-2016, 05:11 PM
I have a New Comet In the box if interested. Never mounted

GONRA
08-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Lee Classic Cast is GONRA's Official Range Brass Decap/Resize tool with RCBS dies/shell holders.
(Purchased press for brass shotshell reloading project, then actually used it a lot for Range Brass Prep.)

Artful
08-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Well, I can't argue with you about Co-Ax press as I have one and love it - RCBS makes good stuff - Lee is the best bang for buck when it comes to their Classic Cast. - Have you ever tried a Turret press or progressive like Dillon?

OS OK
08-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Get a Rock Chucker and paint the dern thing Red...all these experts will be thrilled and you'll be dang happy with it!

dverna
08-21-2016, 06:39 PM
I have had a Co-Ax for 45 years and picked up a used Rock Chucker a few years ago. The Co-Ax is fine press for putting together accurate ammunition but it does not have the leverage of a Rock Chucker if you intend to form brass. One nice feature of the Co-Ax is that you do not need to constantly adjust dies with the die holding system it uses. And the primer catcher works well, so no spent primers all over the place.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-21-2016, 07:30 PM
well guys some times the stars just line up I tell my wife about the issues with my old press she tell's me that my Birthday is in a few week's why don't run up to Cabelas and get a new press ok I run up there it's just about 8 miles from my house they have one RCBS R/C press going for $163 ok put it in the cart then I decide to go look in the Bargain Cave son of a gun they have a Foster co-ax press
$314.99 marked down to $220.44 out comes the Rock Chucker in goes the Foster this is were it get's good I go up to the checkout
the Kid tell's me that's $23.43 would i like to round up ( I cant do it ) I tell the kid to rescan it he said why it's $23.43 I'm like kid look at the price OH he said rings it up then gives me 30% off :bigsmyl2: so out the door my new in box Foster co-ax press
cost me $169.73 [smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w: 174974174975

dragon813gt
08-21-2016, 07:39 PM
I would have bought the CoAx for that price. It's the one single stage I haven't tried. It's to much money for me to experiment w/. I've had most of the newer single stages that people use. They've all been sent down the road. I currently have a Rock Chucker and Orange Crusher that I got in an estate sale. They will be sold off when I get a chance. Already used them and they don't do anything better than the LCC. I may splurge one day and pick up a CoAx. I have a feeling it won't do any better just like the others.

Ken in Iowa
08-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Wow! What a deal!

Dad bought a Coax press after I left home. He loves it.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-21-2016, 08:07 PM
ok i just tried it have it held on my bench with 1 clamp did a few 30/06 like butter I'm liking this press

Hamish
08-21-2016, 08:33 PM
It doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,,,,,,,,. (Luckydawg indeed!)

Artful
08-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Damn $23.43 off - did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home with the savings?

LUCKYDAWG13
08-21-2016, 09:57 PM
No I was still kind of shaken Up that my wife said I could go out and buy a new press

dverna
08-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Luckydawg.....your name fits you perfectly.

You will not regret getting the CoAx.

BTW, I was poor when I got mine. It was a tough decision but I realized it would last me a life time and it was touted as able to make the most accurate ammo possible due to its self aligning feature. Back then I think I paid less than $65 for it.

Enjoy your new press

brtelec
08-21-2016, 10:25 PM
I have a Co-Ax for rifle ammo, a Lee Classic Turret for my magnum revolver ammo, a Loadmaster for my semi autos and a Rockchucker for heavy work. I like them all.

Bzcraig
08-21-2016, 10:41 PM
You LuckyDawg and this time I won't apologize!!! Time for a lotto ticket cause you are on a roll!!

country gent
08-21-2016, 11:46 PM
My 2 most used presses are a CoAx and a RCBS Summit. I really like them both over the rockchucker orange crusher and little lee c frame. The only draw back to the CoAx and summit ar with the top linkage some press mounted equipment may not be able to be used in them. The other draw back to the Co Ax is changing the die rings to what it needs. Lee rings and some thin rcbs dont work with it. The universal shell holder is a big plus and the priming set up on the Co Ax is pretty good too.

HeavyMetal
08-22-2016, 12:15 AM
First scoring the Co-Ax was the once in a life time deal! One of the best single stage press's on the market, I owned one for 15 years or so before I moved into progressive and stopped shooting so much rifle.

Now let's clear the air on the Lee Classic Cast vs the RCBS Rockchucker

Both press's are stout as all get out with the Lee having the better price most of the time

No real advantage in the Classic Cast over the Rockchucker except for primer disposal: the Classic Cast dumps them straight down the ram with a tube going into a can or jar of your choice. Some may point out the Breach Lock system as a better part of the Lee but I am not impressed with that as much as I am the primer disposal set up.

RCBS is way behind in this arena and needs to catch up, lucky for you the Co-Ax works the same way but with a smaller container for the old primers.

Ya did good but not everyone will hit a deal like that!

Kevin Rohrer
08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Any press with more than three letters in it's name is fine.

Aad you can also get J-shellholders on EBay.

r1kk1
08-25-2016, 02:29 AM
I like mine too! Heck of a deal for that press! I bought an Ultramag NIB for a 100.00 a few years ago. It also is a fine press.

Take care

r1kk1

LUCKYDAWG13
08-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Any press with more than three letters in it's name is fine.

Aad you can also get J-shellholders on EBay.

yes i know i also had a spare it was time to move on last night i resized 300 pcs of 30/06 with my new press. i still cant believe what a difference it makes with this press. now i need to upgrade my trimmer

LUCKYDAWG13
08-28-2016, 07:00 PM
update on my new press
this press is Great easy to set up smooth as butter I sized over 300 pcs of 30/06 brass last night I could not believe how
effortless it was. the built in primer is tons better then my old lee round tray hand primer system. this is a rock solid press
wish i would have bought one a long time ago. if your thinking about picking up a new press look at the Forster co-ax

jmorris
08-28-2016, 07:07 PM
if your thinking about picking up a new press look at the Forster co-ax

If you'll run back up there and get that deal for me, I'll pay you for your troubles.

jaguarxk120
08-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Please take a very hard look at the Redding Ultramag press. It is one of the strongest presses made and the linkage gives the best advantage.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-28-2016, 08:27 PM
If you'll run back up there and get that deal for me, I'll pay you for your troubles.
I'll keep my eyes open for you

1hole
08-28-2016, 08:55 PM
With modest care, cleaning and lubrication, any iron/steel press will last virtually forever. I have a perfect condition RC II I bought in 1980, also have a near like-new iron/steel Lyman Spartan I bought in 1965.

I'm a long time precision handloader, not a brand snob, and I know precision doesn't automatically come with the color of the tools. I look for features and buy what I actually need, not what gets the most puffs on the web. If Lee had made their Classic Cast when I got my RC, my main press would be red instead of green; regardless of price, the CC is the better press (of its type) in every way. It's laughable to read self-styled "experts" contrasting huge chunks of iron with Lee's small alum alloy presses as if that was all Lee makes. (And if alum alloy is "pot metal" then Hornady and Dilion are doing it wrong.)

Cleanly handling spent primers - AND their ram-to-body wear inducing grit - is BIG potatoes to me. And the CC's fully adjustable operating lever is more than a minor advantage.

Lee's Classic Cast is big enough/strong enough to reload .50 BMG. However, if someone wants to try reforming .50 BMG cases into .30-06 then Redding's Ultramag is indeed a better choice but, otherwise, all that additional massive strength and leverage accomplishes nothing and does it at a high cost. The Forster Co-Ax is another excellent (but costly press) but a lot of us don't care for its ergonomics and the need for specific die lock rings alone can cost more than a few bucks if you have maybe 70 die sets.