PDA

View Full Version : got crow recipes?

corvette8n
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I figure at the rate prices are going up, I may have to cook some crows, at least my backyard is full of them noisy birds. 10gr of Unique under a 420gr 45-70 might prove sporting.[smilie=1:

bradh
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Place crow between two wooden shingles, drive trunk over shingles, remove crow from between shingles, discard crow, salt and eat shingles!

Sprue
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
A 22-250 topped off with a Hornady or Sierra Ballistic tip will make em disappear into thin air if'n ya don't wanna harvest em.

carpetman
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Get bottle of Old Crow. Remove the lid and pour over ice---it's cheaper than gas.

Old Ironsights
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I figure at the rate prices are going up, I may have to cook some crows, at least my backyard is full of them noisy birds. 10gr of Unique under a 420gr 45-70 might prove sporting.[smilie=1:

Crows are great sport and great eating.

Here's all you eat: The Breasts

http://crowbusters.com/images/medalns.jpg

...we believe a natural prejudice has prevented most crow hunters from even considering this bird as wild game. Our experience is that the mere mention of dropping these birds on the menu brings a series of comments from other hunters as if we had just suggested stir frying up a batch of common sewer rats. And if you ever make the mistake of sharing these thoughts with a non-hunter, be prepared for the same reaction you might get if you invited them to dine with the Donner party. This is a shame since, properly prepared, the members of the Corvid family are as tasty as most other game birds and even tastier than some. Besides, with crow populations as high as they are, what an untapped resource we have at our disposal.

Historically, crows, as well as other non-songbird species have been common fare. Remember "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Our revulsion seems to center around the fact that the crow and it's close relatives are scavengers and therefore unfit to eat. Well, as far as pigs and chickens are concerned, you just wouldn't believe what these supermarket critters will stick in their mouths. Seafood? You honestly don't want to know what goes into a Blue Crab before it ends up on that expensive crab cake platter. I suppose the same goes for lobsters. The list goes on.

In short, it's really just our cultural prejudice that limits our possibilities. You know, maybe crow meat just needs some clever marketing terminology. Look what they did for Sweet Breads and Escargot...

Everything you wanted to know about Crow Hunting and Cooking: :drinks:

http://crowbusters.com/

http://crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

If you don't like using a shotgun/picking pellets out of your teeth, a .22 rifle with super Colibri's works too. http://crowbusters.com/begart4.htm

Ricochet
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I feed crows along with lots of other kinds of birds. Nothing around here for them to harm, and they're smart, entertaining creatures. They love dry cat food (as does just about every other animal except cats.) Mama Crow calls for me in the front yard early in the morning to bring out the breakfast!

Wicky
05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
bradh, that's the right recipe - I use a similar one for Galahs - Put Galah or Crow in a pot of water with a stone and boil until soft. Throw away the galah and eat the stone![smilie=1:
I have seen the site mentioned by Old Ironsights and I reckon if my dog won't eat it I ain't either!
And I do agree with Ricochet, they are a very smart bird had one from a little white ball of feathers once for about 2 years until he finally decided to live elsewhere. I never kept him in a cage from day one just fed him antil he could fly and he hung around living in the tree out the back unless someone was outside so he could humbug them. Loved beer - used to get into my fathers cans if he didn't keep hold of them.
Sorry for the rave got carried away reminising:-D

Old Ironsights
05-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Your dog won't eat them because the feathers are nasty...

Doesn't mean the breasts are bad.

If you live where crows & ravens aren't a nuisance bird/varmint then that's cool. I've had a "pet" Fox Squirrel that would come on call and eat out of my hand.

But if you live where they are a destructive pest - to either crops or waterfoul - then hunting them can be really interesting... especially if you use a .22.

scrapcan
05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Crows are good for something else watch the video in the attached link. Pretty cool how smart they are. Instead of eating one you can train one like in the video, to pick up loose coins!

There is a lot of cool stuff on TEDTalks, but might be a bit to liberal for some but that is for you to decide not me. I just bring the knowledge to you can't make you drink.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/261

dominicfortune00
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
How about training them to pickup WW?

tommag
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I've always had to choke mine down raw.[smilie=1:

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
cook them the same way as carp

EMC45
06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
It's funny that he mentioned Japan, because that was the first thought I had when I started watching this clip. I was in Japan for 7 months and the crows there are the size of red-tailed hawks!!!! They were MASSIVE!!!! They do more walking and hopping than they do flying. They were pretty scary!