PDA

View Full Version : My Rossi rifle 24" octagon X 45 Colt.

Buckshot
08-21-2016, 02:58 AM
http://www.fototime.com/7848272124A4E8F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

I bought this rifle a few years back, and was satisfied with it. It is the color cased version, and come to find out it really IS case hardened! The colors seemed 'Off' to me at first, and wondered if they were the fake 'Dipped' surface treatment. Not. Like any other piece of new machinery with several moving parts it was a bit tight at first,

I took it apart to check it out, and me being me I soon fit my Dremel with a Cratex abrasive bit and commenced to clean things up. Like knocking off razor sharp edges and such. Very minor polishing to be sure. Flushed it with carb cleaner, and lubed it with Moly Engine coat. Stuff used for coating engine parts after a rebuild, before starting. I left it in the shop leaning against the reloading bench, and every time I went out there I'd pick the rifle up. With the buttstock on my right thigh I'd work the lever rapidly up and down. This went on for several weeks, a little at a time.

One of the things that bugged me no end was the excessive slop in the hammer, from side to side. Removing the hammer screw , and eventually the hammer I discovered that the hammer screw was grossly undersized. Upon removing the screw I also discovered that the threads on the screw were basically stripped. Never had the screw try to come out, but the threads were a wash. Don't know how many of you have dealt with the Rossi parts folks, but the people are nice enough but pray to God you don't need a "Restricted Part". I asked for a hammer screw for a blued action (they only offer blued or stainless screws). I got a stainless screw very fast.

Called them back, they apologized and said they'd handle it no charge, keep the first screw, we're sorry about that. They did and I got ANOTHER stainless screw:-) In the meantime I found out (which I figured), the threads were those communistic metric things. I know what they are now and they're a metric fine 'Special' thread. The receiver is HARD! as I mentioned, truley case hardened. Apparently at the factory the screw was started "Off". It wasn't going to fall out, but the screw threads (on the screw) were wasted. Ordered a tap from Enco and chased them out. Did I say the action was HARD? I feared for the tap.

I'm also the proud owner of a Winchester (Miroku) M92, also in 45 Colt, but with a round barrel:

http://www.fototime.com/745969169444B08/standard.jpg

I got to wondering, do they both maybe have metric threads, and are they the same? The Winchester site at that time no longer listed the 1892's, but lo and behold, Numrich had them listed. ALL those wonderous parts! I ordered up some "Consumables", for the Miroku, including an extra hammer screw, AND a couple ejector springs amongst other odds and ends. So, as mentioned, the Rossi hammer fairly flopped from side to side. Happily the Miroku hammer screw not only HAS THE SAME THREAD PITCH, the shank, or unthreaded portion is a good snug fit through the Rossi's hammer. It is slightly larger in OD. Installing that screw took care of ANY side to side movement of the Rossi hammer!

Originally, the Rossi used to send the empty brass out at warp factor 8, which wasn't a problem unless you wanted to reload them, because it was tough to find them. Substituting the Miroku part (a perfect fit) you can now operate the lever with wild abandon and the empties simply eject nice and easy up out of the action and land on the bench a couple inches away, nirvana! In that vein, if you want a ejector (and I suppose ans extractor) for your Rossi, they're "RESTRICTED" parts. This means you have to send you entire rifle back to them. They're restricted because they have to be fitted to your rifle. However, if you have half a brain, and can wiggle your fingers, you probably have what it takes to 'Fit' and ejector or extractor to your rifle. However you have to order the parts from Numrich (GPC), who are exceedingly happy to send them to you, post hate.

I ordered 2 of the ejectors, and an extractor. To me both ejectors look the same, and the extractor matches the ones factory fitted to my Rossi rifles. You might possibly have to make use of your Dremel, or jeweler's files, I don't know. I have not had need to replace either to date, but I'm glad I have them. I like to have Consumables on hand :-), and I really DO NOT want to box up the rifle and send it back East for an ejector, or what have you.

One of the other oddities about my 45 Colt Rossi is the VERY tight barrel. It slugs .446" x .450". Yup, the grooves are a whole .002" deep. The twist is a turn in 30". The Miroku on the other hand is a perfect .443" x .451" and a 16" twist, which is a pistol twist. To date the Rossi has pretty well shown up the Japchester in accuracy. Sad to say, but BOTH rifles have a fairly generous chamber. According to John Taffin, one of the biggest complaints in 45 Colts so far as accuracy is concerned is oversized chambers.

While the Rossi DOES kind of have it in accuracy over the Miroku, I would certainly like to think that the accuracy at 50 yards would be better then 3" or so for 5 rounds. I've had people tell me "It's a pistol cartridge, whadda ya want, It's a levergun, whadda ya want? Yes and I know it has a 2 piece stock, and it has that magazine tube hanging down there, but is 1.5" asking too much? :-) I have a 1893 Marlin chambered 38-55 .......

http://www.fototime.com/47DD87E404FADAE/standard.jpg

.............and the thing shoots like a ray gun. Does a rifle cartridge vs a pistol cartridge make THAT much difference?

............Buckshot

ironhead7544
08-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Good info, thanks. I quit the Rossi R92s because of the parts problems. I like to have consumable parts on hand.

Levers can be fussy about what ammo they will shoot. You will have to experiment a bit.

dubber123
08-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Pistol cal rifles can shoot very well. I have a little 1894P, and it shoots right around 1" at 100 yds. with J words. Never fooled with cast in that one much, as it refuses to feed any of my WFN designs. Another project for another day :)

northmn
08-22-2016, 09:08 AM
When messing with my Rossi I misplaced the front barrel ring screw. Went to the local ACE hardware and bought a standard metric screw that looked like it would work. It did and also facilitated finding the original which is what happens when you go out and buy a new part. When reworking my old Turkish 8mm Mauser I found that I could use hardware store metric screws instead of buying expensive replacement screws as I put a black stock on it and the hex head screws looked fine in that stock. Just cut them to length.
Try buying a 6-48 or 8-40 screw locally. I have also modified screw heads when building muzzle loaders to make them look appropriate including fire bluing the heads.
Really like those longer barreled Rossi's and really should treat myself to one in 44 mag.

DP

victorfox
08-22-2016, 09:17 AM
For parts, forget the Taurus/Rossi thing. You've been lucky enough.

I got some parts from Homestead parts, Jackie is top notch!

http://homesteadparts.com/

fecmech
08-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Buckshot--I can't speak to the .45 colt but I have 2 Rossi's, a 20 and 24" in .357 that will average 3 moa@100yds for 10 shot groups. The 30" twist likes the lighter bullets like the Lee 125 RF, 120TC and RCBS 124CN although the Lee tl158 swc is pretty respectable. BTW I had a B92 in .357 and while it was a pretty gun the Rossi's outshot it so I sold it.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Nice looking rifles, Buckshot, and invaluable information. I guess the Brazilians copied the Japanese? .45 Colt rifle is a good choice if you've got an 1873-type handgun to go with it.

izzyjoe
08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
That's some nice lever guns you have there, it's a same that a rifle that cost what those do has to worked on to that extent!

Mauser48
08-23-2016, 12:34 AM
That's a nice rifle buckshot, I'm seriously considering one in 357.

SSGOldfart
08-23-2016, 01:26 AM
That's the second 38-55 I've seen this week sweet round.[smilie=1:

northmn
08-23-2016, 10:15 AM
I have a CB 38-55 and at 50 yards cannot shoot the iron sights as tight as it can shoot. Some claim there is no "inherent" accuracy issues in any caliber, but compare a 250 grain bullet in a 38-55 as compared to a 45. One permits more rifling engagement. The old 38-55 started out life a as target cartridge.

DP

w5pv
08-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Vote Trump