PDA

View Full Version : Type 99 Operational

TCLouis
08-21-2016, 02:14 AM
THX to a gentleman in N. Ohio I now have a firing pin and safety for my Type 99 7.7X58.
It had really given me a GREAT 3 shot group at 50 (0.525WX0.650H OTO)with borrowed parts, 312X150 GB mold BOOLITS AND 10B101.

Fired a few low pressure PROMO and 313X150s today with the new parts and I think it is time to go back to real tests.

I love old military guns even if the Japanese and Germans did not know how to make a proper front sight.

I sold my 1917 and O3A3 Remington modified WAY TOO SOON!

Scharfschuetze
08-21-2016, 02:59 AM
Yeah, that Arisaka Type 99 sight lash up takes some getting used to. Still, when fed the right ammo, they can be fairly accurate.

Glad you got that old war horse operational again.

bouncer50
08-22-2016, 01:13 PM
The early type 99 with the aircraft sights and mono pod, dust cover are the ones to find. They have a better fit and finish and bore size are better. I seen some late war one that are very crude but that was late war when the Japs were losing the war. The early type have better resale value but harder to find for a good price. Mine are good shooter a lot of people want to shot mine because they never fired a Jap rifle. I make my ammo from 270 brass and no problems yet.

TCLouis
08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Mine has the "aircraft" sights but the wings and screws are missing.

No monopod and the stock has been bubbacized.
Bring the rear sight upright, two adjustments in elevation and it is right on at 50, guess I should see where the base sight impacts.
Actually I'm gonna go shoot her in a few minutes to test impact on milk jug of water.

I too use 270 brass . . . . I knew 270 was good for something(LOL).

I am gong to have to chrono that load, it blew the milk jug of water up with authority.

Earlwb
09-01-2016, 04:16 PM
I think that many people didn't know that the military rifles are typically setup to shoot at 300 yards/meters for their zero. That means that they can aim center of mass and the bullet is likely to hit the enemy out to 500 yards without having to adjust anything. I remember running into that with a Carcano carbine I got many years ago when I was young. It shot way high at 100 yards. At first I missed the target and was wondering what the heck is wrong. I eventually figured it out though. we didn't have the internet way back then to research stuff. I took a look at the rear sight on one of my Japanese Type 99 rifles and the ladder sight scale on it starts at 400 meters. So the regular sight is likely set for 300 meters too.

The Type 99s shooting the 7.7 rounds tended to be similar in performance to the 30-06 or more modern .308. But at the time the Japanese pretty much copied the ballistics of the .303 British round with the 7.7x58 cartridge. So it would be a good big game hunting round if one wanted to hunt with it.