PDA

View Full Version : Weird T/C Contender carbine

1Hawkeye
08-20-2016, 11:34 PM
I just got a contender carbine because I wanted the frame which is what the whole rig was priced at. But now that I got it home I think I have one of the limited edition job's like they use to do for the Thompson center collectors association. It's a wooden stocked high gloss blued barrel with a matte finished flat sided frame. The barrel is in .44 special and has the tca logo on it and the serial number is TCA 99-0xx it's unfired I'm wondering if I got cabela's or they got me.

Tatume
08-21-2016, 07:24 AM
That sounds like the special run, as you surmised. I don't think they're really any more valuable that the regular production, but they are certainly just as good.

Whereabouts in Virginia are you?

Tom, in Gloucester

contender1
08-21-2016, 10:17 AM
I'd look into a TCA collector association before I split it all up.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-22-2016, 09:08 PM
I would ask over on http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve fourm

1Hawkeye
08-23-2016, 04:45 PM
I tried the TCA it was a dead end. I guess I'll try T/C next with any luck I might get some one who worked there before S&W bought them out.

Jeff Michel
08-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Possibly out of Fox Ridge Outfitters, that was T/C's custom shop. They offered a ton of different calibers before they went toes up.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Possibly out of Fox Ridge Outfitters, that was T/C's custom shop. They offered a ton of different calibers before they went toes up.
if it was from the custom shop it would be marked so

Tatume
08-24-2016, 08:03 AM
The original production T/C Contenders were without etched or cast images in the sides. They are very rare, and I doubt this is one of them. Others were made via the Fox Ridge Custom Shop in special runs. These are less common than the standard frames, but are not particularly rare. They carry no Fox Ridge markings. If I had one I would shoot it.

1Hawkeye
08-24-2016, 04:45 PM
I figured it was probably a fox ridge piece. I'm guessing that the 99 in the serial number was for the year it was made for the tca. I didn't think it has any additional value being a tca run. But the preservationist in me is saying don't split up or shoot it.

JSH
08-24-2016, 05:21 PM
TCA had a lot of barrels John Q Public never even imagined.

hunter58
08-24-2016, 06:25 PM
TCA done special runs on barrels and frames. The 99 in the serial number was the membership number assigned when you joined. I've not been a member for many years, buy I had the option to buy frames with my number which was 68. If I opted out, someone else would get it. Also keep in mind there were very limited numbers of these items made. Orders were paid in advance, and those who placed their order determined the number made. There are some folks who seek these items.

mrk1500
08-26-2016, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't shoot it you probably bought it for collector value anyway?,I bought a 1 of 500 Steve Herrett Contender unfired and never would shoot it. In years to come you will make money on it. They probably didn't make to many of them. I bought a Winchester Chief Crazy Horse Commerative unfired , if I shot it would take 50% off the value.