PDA

View Full Version : Magtech brass weak?

kd7kmp
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I have a question on the strength of Magtech brass. I just finished firing off a bunch of .357 reloads with new Magtech, and once fired Hornady, Federal, and Winchester brass. I was using a 158 gr half jacket HP under 7.2 gr of Unique and and equal number of rounds under 9.5 gr of Bluedot. both of these charges are well under the max charges listed in Alliant's reloading data. BTW, this was shot out of my Taurus 627 revolver (sorry, not a levergun, but wish I had one in .357). In each instance, the Magtech brass had to be pounded out of the cylinder while all other brands extracted with great ease.

Is Magtech brass simply weaker than other brands? It appears the Magtech stuff will be relegated to low power loads if this is the case.

Kevin

454PB
05-30-2008, 12:44 AM
It sounds like it may be softer than the other brass you used. Try weighing each brand of brass and see if the Magtech brass is heavier, which would indicate it has less case capacity.

Bret4207
05-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Agree w/454PB. Different brass means differing capacities. The Magtech may be softer, but it's almost surely of differing internal dimensions. Cut that load back a grain and I'll bet it'll fall right out like the other brass. Be interesting to see what the velocity differences are between brass lots if you have a chrono. Your load in the Magtech may well be faster by a good margin than the other brass.

500bfrman
05-30-2008, 02:58 PM
My magtech and starline 500 s/w brass is identical concerning weight. I have not saw one person complain about 500 magtech brass. ymmv.

GrizzLeeBear
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I was using a 158 gr half jacket HP under 7.2 gr of Unique and and equal number of rounds under 9.5 gr of Bluedot.

Well there's your problem. Put your boolits ON TOP of the powder, not under it! LOL :groner:

I've got a bunch of nickel CBC (magtech) brass that I have shot LOTS of times with no problems. But most of them are mild 357 loads. The thing I like about this brass is the primer pockets are tighter and more uniform than the Fed, Win & Rem brass that I have used.

dwtim
06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
I have a batch of 45 ACP Magtech brass, and it is very soft. I only use it with lead because one of the cases crumpled once when I was trying to seat a jacketed bullet!

Other than that, it works fine.

kd7kmp
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Well there's your problem. Put your boolits ON TOP of the powder, not under it! LOL :groner:

I've got a bunch of nickel CBC (magtech) brass that I have shot LOTS of times with no problems. But most of them are mild 357 loads. The thing I like about this brass is the primer pockets are tighter and more uniform than the Fed, Win & Rem brass that I have used.

No wonder half the bullets got stuck in the barrel!! LOL