PDA

View Full Version : A Piece of History & A Press I've Never Seen

ReloaderFred
08-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Here is a link to a really unique piece of history and to a press I've never seen before. Maybe Pressman can lend some light on the press. The furniture grade bench is really impressive, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122091594350?ul_noapp=true

Hope this helps.

Fred

Green Frog
08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
When you're a 4 Star General, you can get just about anything you want. Obviously this General was smart and sophisticated enough to want something really special in the way of a loading bench. Wish I could justify owning it!

Froggie

ReloaderFred
08-19-2016, 02:36 PM
That was my thought, too. I'd bid, but I don't have any place to put it...........

Fred

Artful
08-19-2016, 04:20 PM
That Marlin press is interesting

Bent Ramrod
08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
That is a genuine Ideal Armory Press, a rara avis to be sure. Particularly as it was one whose production carried over into the era of Marlin's ownership of Ideal.

tstowater
08-19-2016, 04:24 PM
I would be in trouble as the bench doesn't provide enough surface area for my clutter. I was looking around my loading room this morning and trying to figure out a way to stuff a couple more loading benches in the room for additional presses and ammo processing. That will be tough.....need to do some major cleaning to do that.

ReloaderFred
08-19-2016, 04:25 PM
You could always contact the seller and ask about the dies and attachments. It would be even better if everything is complete.

Fred

Pressman
08-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Now that is interesting. Finding a Marlin marked press is rare enough but finding one with the primer feed and dies is really a one in a lifetime find. Yes, let's hope all the die parts are there. Marlin marked Ideal tools don't turn up all that often, they seemed to not have the interest, or there were too many other pressing needs to focus on besides reloading tool back then. Like WW1. Then there was money issues after the war and reloading tool production got push aside again. Even with the Lyman take over in 1925/6? thier marketing was never to sell this press to the general public. It's a shame to as it is a good press though a bit fussy in its operation.

Looking back at the auction pictures I see a lot of parts missing. Like the Tru-Line Jr. the handle is there. Only an extra primer punch the the Marlin, but no additional die parts or shell holders. Still it is a good buy, though a bit pricey and really bulky if you include the desk.
Ken

08-20-2016, 06:46 AM
Now that is interesting. Finding a Marlin marked press is rare enough but finding one with the primer feed and dies is really a one in a lifetime find. Yes, let's hope all the die parts are there. Marlin marked Ideal tools don't turn up all that often, they seemed to not have the interest, or there were too many other pressing needs to focus on besides reloading tool back then. Like WW1. Then there was money issues after the war and reloading tool production got push aside again. Even with the Lyman take over in 1925/6? thier marketing was never to sell this press to the general public. It's a shame to as it is a good press though a bit fussy in its operation.

Looking back at the auction pictures I see a lot of parts missing. Like the Tru-Line Jr. the handle is there. Only an extra primer punch the the Marlin, but no additional die parts or shell holders. Still it is a good buy, though a bit pricey and really bulky if you include the desk.
Ken

The cabinet is not part of this auction.

jrmartin1964
08-20-2016, 07:25 AM
The cabinet is not part of this auction.

Apparently, the cabinet IS part of this auction:
USAF 4-Star General Muir Fairchild's Personal Marlin Bullet Reloader & Cabinet
“Cabinet is solid. Reloader appears to be in good shape but has not been tested to being sold AS-IS. Misc. parts & many extras included.”

ReloaderFred
08-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Yes, the cabinet is part of the auction. If you scroll down through all the pictures, there are shots of the cabinet and how it functions.

Thanks for the insight into the press, Pressman.

Fred