PDA

View Full Version : melting pot with multiple spouts.

bryonbush
08-18-2016, 10:01 PM
i was watching videos on the master casters and was thinking that it doesnt look that much faster than a 6 cav mold. this then got me thinking as to why there are no pots that have 4 or 6 holes in a line to fill up a 4 or 6 cavity mold in one shot. Is it due to production complexity or something else? I would love to see one made up. Maybe NOE could make a pot with 4 spouts?!

country gent
08-18-2016, 10:21 PM
One thing would be spacing of the cavities to the spouts would have to be the same or very close. And I suspect most manufacturers have thier own Idea of whats needed and they may even vary some as to caliber. The linkage to operate the 4-6 spouts together would require some tinkering but would be doable. Another problem with filling them all together is venting may not be able to keep up on the inner cavities as they vent to the empty cavity once one is filled.

bryonbush
08-18-2016, 10:33 PM
this might be dumb but how does the spacing compare on a lee 6 cav in 9mm vs a lee 6 in 45?

country gent
08-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Due to larger cavity the spacing may be wider to maintain the "web" between cavities. On an extreme 22.cal cavities are closer than 50 cal cavities. THe diffrence between 2 cavities may only be .030-.060 on center line but on a 6 cavitie mould that grows to alot when stacked up 5 times.

runfiverun
08-19-2016, 12:57 AM
I don't have any lee 6 cav molds.
but the magma 2 hole spouts line up close nuff with lyman-rcbs 2&4 cavity molds just fine.
not that it matters much but they fill 3 and 5 cavity molds just fine too.

Nick Quick
08-19-2016, 02:18 AM
You can't compare speed wise a master caster with a hand hold mold with 4 or 6 cavities just watching a 2 minutes video on youtube. It's like taking words out of context and use them for a certain purpose who does not reflect the reality.
On a master caster there is no fatigue whatsoever so I can crank bullets two at the time for hours at constant speed. With 4-6 cavities molds in one hour I was tired. After 4 hours session with a 6 cavity mold I was beat up. After a 4 hr session with the mc I was not tired, have more bullets and had time for short breaks, snacks, fill the coffee mug etc.
Long sessions, master caster is more productive than handheld molds.
If an automation is attached to the machine the chat is over. Nothing beats that.

Dusty Ed
08-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Howdy Nick
Plus you are not leaning over a hot pot an breathing in the fumes.

Dusty Ed

Nick Quick
08-20-2016, 11:42 AM
That's true Ed, the 40 lbs pot on MC is blessing and I won't look in the pot for at least 1 hour. Plus that 6 cavity mold open, close, open sprue plate, knock, sometimes they get stubborn and have t knock multiple times, turn around and all the hassle to handle the mold is quite tiresome. At least for me it was. Not that I didn't like it but now is way better. A Master Caster wort every penny.
I'm almost done with my automation and I can't wait to finish the fine adjustments and let the machine crank them bullets by itself while I just watch. Next and last stage will be a good ole PID. After that I'll be cocky and proud like a peacock around the house.

I have to admit tho that this thread made me start thinking of a MC with three spouts. A such thing would be yummy.

bryonbush
08-21-2016, 10:16 PM
im not challenging the speed and ease of the MC, just watching it makes me wonder if the process could be speed up for us by using multiple spouts. it would be great to throw a 4 or 6 cav under the pot, lift the lever, then have them filled just like the MC does. for most of us, the cost of the MC is out of the question.

runfiverun
08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
I took the pot off one of my master casters and built a hand casting put out of it.
I know everyone says the machine is faster but I'm of the opposite opinion.
I run 4-5 cavity molds for the most part when I need pistol boolits and 4-5 hrs of work piles them up.
2-3 sessions of about 4 hrs will fill a 5 gallon bucket easily.
okay not with 9mm boolits that takes about 10-k pieces.

if you want speed with a master caster adding hydraulic rams will turn the trick, that easily doubles the output,
and probably exceeds that by a bit with a little tweaking..

catmandu
08-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Anybody make a good mold rest for using a 6 cavity on a master caster. I made one but want a better one.
Paul in WNY