PDA

View Full Version : Load ?'s

klausg
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey guys-I was recently given some black powder sustitutes, (the guy couldn't move the stuff back to the lower 48). I'd like to do something more with the stuff than fertilize the lawn, but I have no idea if I can.

What I got: 1 lb of Hodgdon Pyrodex RS (FFG equivalent) and 1 lb of Hodgdon Triple Seven (FFFG).

What I think I might be able to load this stuff in: Ruger BH in .45 Colt with a Lyman 452664 250gr and a Marlin 1895GS in .45/70 with an RCBS 45-405-FN. I think the .45 Colt may be the better option as it will be easier to clean, but am open to suggestions.

So, can I load this stuff, and if so could you give me some data to work with? I'm not looking to win any BPCR competitions, I just hate to see good powder go to waste.

-Klaus

Boz330
05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Just fill the case up to the base of the boolit. You use it just like regular BP. Try the Triple 7 in the 45-70 it is a little stouter than regular BP and clean up is really easy. Should be directions on label.

Bob

Don McDowell
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
57 grs of the pyrodex is the equivilant of 70 grs of 2f black, ballistically. I haven't messed with pyrodex for years now, but it used to do best when it had the snot compressed out of it in cartridges, generally 1/8th inch was a good place to start.

Never messed with the 777 stuff, but there is data for both available from Hogdons, check their web page.

Boz330
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
777 is some pretty impressive stuff. The last year I guided hunters in NM I had a guy shoot a bull with a 375g Barnes Bullet in a Sabot powered with 150gr of the stuff and he blew through both shoulders at a 100yd with a fist sized exit hole. I've seen 300 mags that wouldn't do that. He said it was going 2000fps and from the results it may well have been.
Don't waste the stuff though, powder is getting way to precious anymore.

Bob

ridurall
05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Our local indoor range asked me if I wanted the stock of Hodgdon FFG 777 and sold it to me for $10 a bottle. I'm running 48 grains by weight with a .60" plastic wad and a 522 gr Lyman 457132 W/SPG lubed 20:1 bullet set all the way in. So far I'm shooting an around 1233 FPS with a SD of 8.8. I like the way it cleans up and my wife does not gripe about the smell. My Shiloh Sharps seems to like it and so far I'm hitting all my steel gongs out to 260 yards. Next test is to take it up to my place near Mangum where I can shoot a longer range. I was shooting FFG Goex and only getting 1050 FPS out of it with all I could compress in the case and loading the bullet one groove out. Next trip to Oklahoma City I'm going to try to get some FFFG Goex and see if I can get a little more speed out of it.

Don McDowell
05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
ridurall if its speed you want then get some goex 3f express, 70 grs will hurl 530 gr bullets in the neighbohood of 1275 fps.

August
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Get real black. I use Goex Cartridge grade, lightly compressed under a 490 grain Matthew's designed bore rider. Over primer wad of single sheet of newsprint. Over powder wad is a Walter's .060 veggie. Best lube I've found to date is SPG, I'm pained to say ($$$).

63 grains does great in all three of my high walls and the ruger #3. You can work up from there if you feel the need for more velocity. These are deadly accurate out to 500 meters. Haven't shot further -- yet. The chrono at right at 1200 fps. Slow, but definitely extremely accurate.

Don McDowell
05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
August you might want to take a look at sageoutfittersdotcom and the bullet lube they make and sell. You may have reason to proclaim a new best lube.:-D

ridurall
05-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I just couldn't pass up the $10 a lb for the 777. One of these days I'm going to pick up some FFFG black powder. It's just that I hate to pay that hazardous shipping fee. I will get some next time I drive to Oklahoma City. I did pick up a bunch of SPG lube the other day. I figure Hodgdon does a lot for the shooting community so it wouldn't hurt to use it. I was impressed with the low SD of 8.8 and the velocity. I've got everything else I need for shooting black including the doodad your supposed to use to compress the powder. I thought I needed it but I really don't see the need for it. While using the type bullet I'm using and the .060 plastic wad. I've also got the blow tube to keep my fouling moist. Does anyone else here use an cut off aluminum arrow for a powder drop tube? Is there any reason I shouldn't use it? I've been using my Belding and Mull powder measure and it's one of the plastic hopper ones. Is it ok to use it with black powder? Thanks for the help.