PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for my 9mm...

OneForAll
08-16-2016, 08:06 PM
I currently use HS6 while reloading my 165gr. 40 S&W, can I also use this powder while reloading my 115 gr. 9mm?

BulletFactory
08-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Welcome aboard OneForAll. I knew you would like it here.

OptimusPanda
08-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Yes, referencing the 7th ed Hornady manual shows a 115gr fmj using HS6. Starting load 5.7gr, max 6.4gr, OAL 1.100". Do confirm this though.

OneForAll
08-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Yes, referencing the 7th ed Hornady manual shows a 115gr fmj using HS6. Starting load 5.7gr, max 6.4gr, OAL 1.100". Do confirm this though.

Thank you, saves me from having to get into a new powder...

ETA: I'm asking because my Lyman 49th edition manual doesn't say, I have the 50th edition on the way.

OptimusPanda
08-16-2016, 08:23 PM
Hodgdon keeps lots of data on their website, you'll find it there too. http://www.hodgdon.com/ the "reloading data center" link is on this page.

OneForAll
08-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Hodgdon keeps lots of data on their website, you'll find it there too. http://www.hodgdon.com/ the "reloading data center" link is on this page.

Thanks for the link, on my way there now...

scottfire1957
08-17-2016, 01:30 AM
You do, honestly, need multiple manuals, from different sources. Speer, Hornady etc. etc.

08-17-2016, 01:36 PM
If you do decide to try a different powder, Alliant BE-86 is great. I'm using 5.2gr behind the NOE 358-135-FN (as a 126gr hollow point) as well as either of the Lee 125gr round nose or truncated cone molds. It has gotten to the point with 9mm that shooting cast seems normal. Loading some factory fmj in the magazine seems odd. BE-86 meters very well in the Lee auto drum which makes loading on the turret press painless and very quick.

Dusty Bannister
08-17-2016, 02:18 PM
You may not be familiar with the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, the data in the Accurate Arms manual, and have not taken into consideration the data available in the Hodgdon reloading manual. There is a lot of good information available and I would not say that only one has all you need. The advantage of the Hodgdon manual is continuing updates with powders that are not present in the Lyman manual.

BulletFactory
08-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Yes, I can't speak for others, but the new Lyman manual has just added 300 BLK to its contents.

OneForAll
08-17-2016, 02:42 PM
My friend BulletFactory got me set up reloading with my 40S&W a while back. (Which he currently cast both of our bullets) Wanted to start reloading for my 9mm and he suggested I join this forum and ask my question (above) as I like HS6 so much I want to use it with my 9mm reloads. Have looked elsewhere for the information. (manuals, online, cards that came with my dies, etc...) Couldn't get a straight forward anwser hence me joining the forum last night. I really appreciate all the information, had no idea about the Hodgdon's link. Thank you all...

OneForAll
08-17-2016, 03:19 PM
This is an opinion site......and THAT is my opinion!

Take it or leave it.

Took it, and ordered the manual you named. Since this is an opinion site, here's mine... Simmer down now, lol...

OneForAll
08-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Every powder manufacturer has a website and the all publish load data for their powders. Check the ALL out!!!!! Download and print. Unfortunately most are FMJ garbage. With experience, you can extrapolate CB load data from that. Underscore EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

I have a custom binder (over 1.5" thick) I have built with Xerox'd specific pages of all the cals/weights/powders I use. I call it Banger's Boolit Bible, and it saves wear and tare on the original book pages. It consolidates all load data I use in one hand place. I enlarge and massage the pages for what I need and make them easily readable for olde eyes!

For common cals (9/40/45/etc) and common powders, you can find most info in the Lyman book I referenced above. You WILL acquire others over the years. I have many manuals but use only the Lyman CBH for 95% of my load data. Once you start going out with weird uncommon cal, weights, and designs, then you need more books.

Spend your money on all those FMJ books if you wish. I will spend mine on primers!

banger

You quoted me saying I use casted bullets...

BulletFactory
08-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Every powder manufacturer has a website and the all publish load data for their powders. Check the ALL out!!!!! Download and print. Unfortunately most are FMJ garbage. With experience, you can extrapolate CB load data from that. Underscore EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

I have a custom binder (over 1.5" thick) I have built with Xerox'd specific pages of all the cals/weights/powders I use. I call it Banger's Boolit Bible, and it saves wear and tare on the original book pages. It consolidates all load data I use in one hand place. I enlarge and massage the pages for what I need and make them easily readable for olde eyes!

For common cals (9/40/45/etc) and common powders, you can find most info in the Lyman book I referenced above. You WILL acquire others over the years. I have many manuals but use only the Lyman CBH for 95% of my load data. Once you start going out with weird uncommon cal, weights, and designs, then you need more books.

Spend your money on all those FMJ books if you wish. I will spend mine on primers!

banger

\Come on Banger, I know you know what you are doing here, I've seen you post for years. But, you can be a crotchety old man sometimes I swear. I've taken your advice in the past, but take it easy on the new guy. I've got him on the phone right now, and he is annoyed.

He's also using both cast and jacketed rounds. He's got a bunch of little kids running around, and he doesnt want lead around until they are a little older. A lot of people use jacketed rounds, we are the exception to the rule. I'm a caster, I do his casting to keep the lead away from his place. I think it's best to get several different books.

My freind is just here trying to ask for experienced help so that he can shoot safe. We have both been down the road and back with forums, and have gotten tired of the drama that tends to go with gun websites. I told him how great this site is, that people really dont snipe at each other like on other sites. This is a great forum, let's keep it nice. I personally have been banned from several gun websites over various levels of BS, up to and including receiving personal threats from other posters. I try to keep my viewpoints off of this site, because it has been so great to me, and we can usually talk about guns without it going all south all the time. I am trying to stop fighting online, it's not a Christian thing for me, but it can be difficult, as I am really really good at it. Lets not do this here. ok?

jmort
08-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Every site has blowhards. There is a lot of good, useful information out there. I have Lyman's 3rd and 4th Cast Bullet manuals and many others. No reason to limit your knowledge base.

spfd1903
08-17-2016, 04:01 PM
In addition to the Lyman 4th Edition CB, Western powders online manual has plenty of loads for lead boots and Berry plated projectiles, as does Hodgdon.

Cherokee
08-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Back to the original question - HS6 is my "go to" powder for 9mm, cast and jacketed. Meters great and performs well.

Welcome to the site, a great place overall.

OneForAll
08-17-2016, 07:24 PM
I am not fighting. I am not old. I am not crotchety. I am not sniping. I just expressed my opinions. One book is more than enough for CB's only. Especially when just starting out and considering all the $$ involved in equipment and supplies. If he is doing FMJ's then he needs other books that list the stuff he needs.

Seems too many on here are ultra thinned skinned and read way too much into a post way too often.

I am as easy-goin' as you can find. Just do not read BS into my posts and all will be at peace with the world.

banger

Then why come across the way you did? I Cast, reload FMJ, and JHP. Do you carry casted rounds for personal defense???

Anyways like posted before I took your advice, just didn't care for your "opinion post," then you quoted me using casted 40S&W rounds, going off about a book you claim is your, "Bible." Sir, no disrespect, but there's only one good book, and you didn't write it...

JeffG
08-17-2016, 08:50 PM
I looked it up in Lee's Second Edition and they list HS6 with 115 gr lead bullet as 6.4 grains starting load with a max of 6.9 grains. OAL listed was 1.070. Hope that helps

BulletFactory
08-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Does anyone happen to use it in 300 BLK?

bryonbush
08-17-2016, 10:10 PM
if you're looking for a powder that does well in multiple calibers, look up Win231. I was suggested it when i got tired of using powder that would really dirty up the guns and not help with the leading issues i was having with my 40's. I shoot it in my 40, 45, and soon 9mm. and if you look at the charges for those rounds they are all very close for shooting lead rounds.

BulletFactory
08-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I've used 231 as well, it's a good powder. HS-6 gives a little harsher recoil, but feels more like white box ammo. If I want to make a hollowpoint, it's HS-6. You can get more rounds per pound however, with 231 if I remember right. It's been a couple years.

kmw1954
08-18-2016, 12:42 AM
From the Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook.

115gr. JHP, HS-6 = 5.7 start, 956fps 17400 C.U.P., 7.2 max, 1193fps 30400 C.U.P.

BulletFactory
08-18-2016, 10:57 AM
I trust handloads for SD, it's the .gov I do not trust. The justice system is a greater threat to you than the dead guy ever was.

wmitty
08-18-2016, 10:48 PM
So the correct past tense for cast boolits is cast rather than casted?

BulletFactory
08-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Hahaha I was waiting for that.

hermans
08-19-2016, 05:45 AM
Isn't Cast Boolits just the best! Apart from all the good information being shared, you can even get a good lecture in English from time to time, and you can also have a good laugh! Keep it up guys!

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 09:23 AM
THE TENSES:

FURURE: I am going to cast a lot of boolits tomorrow

CURRENT: I am casting a lot boolits right now

PAST: I have cast many boolits in the past ( not casted!). Or - yesterday I cast over 500 boolits.

And.....I shoot cast (not casted) boolits in all my guns.

The English language is amazing isn't it!?!?!?!?!!?

And least we forget:

I will lead you to the lead ingots that lead me to the boolits I cast with soft lead last week.

[smilie=s:

This has been so over. Yet here you are... Why can't you just let it go? Or is it that your world is so small and your arguments are so shallow, that you have none left but to pick on the spelling and sentence structure of the new guy.

He just wanted to know if HS-6 would work as well in a 9mm as it did in the .40.

I told him about how theres this really great reloading forum and unlike the other gun websites, we tend to skip the BS here on castboolits, and you sir, have made this site look bad, and me look like a liar through your immaturity.

It really bothers me when people behave so superficially anyhow. You go to the store, someone is in a hurry, so you step aside and let them by, often with a smile. BUT, let them do the same thing in a car! o. m. g. ! No, not then. That when the horn sounds so you can watch for finger, words are exchanged, and if someone almost causes a crash, you just might have one to make a point. Same thing with the internet. People get on here and talk all kinds of this or that, puffed up, full of pride and bravado having perfected themselves speaking all manner of filth. Full of knowledge they have read and not discovered, willing to take even the simplest mistake, and use it to elevate themselves making of themselves some great one. If a person has another idea, or way of looking at things, they are obviously idiotic, hopeless, incapable of rational thought. Unless you're a democrat who just says "racist" and walks away.

Romans 12:18King James Version (KJV)

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

jmort
08-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Got to love the blowhards. Post something about powder-coating bullets and you will get a lecture from the blowhard. How he invented it and Katy bar the door if you deviate from his dictates.

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Hahaha I powder coat bullets. I run them in two of the most controvercial calibers as well. 40 and 300 BLK. I' have also open carried, a lot. So, I'm used to flak.

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Or maybe he had a beer.

ETA. He asked you about HS-6, not his ABC's.

Prospector Howard
08-19-2016, 11:50 AM
For anyone under the illusion that listening to "self proclaimed experts" on a forum like this is a good idea because they're on the site all day, every day; read this thread and decide for yourself. When I saw it last year, I had the biggest laugh in a long time:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?289578-44mag-load-data-differences

jmort
08-19-2016, 12:01 PM
^^^ That should be a Sticky

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah, by buddy said he isn't interested in coming back to this site. Nice job, banger. At least you can enjoy it for a minute before moving on.

Some people are just like a tornado. Maybe they are big and impressive, but they make a mess, hurt people, and nobody really wants one around them.

whisler
08-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Tell him not to go away because of one person. Just show him where the ignore function is.

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 08:30 PM
I did. Hopefully he will change his mind.

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 08:41 PM
He did move on. I tried to stop him, but he used to do nothing but argue and put up with arguments online. As a moderator on a facebook gun forum, so I can see why he's not taking the . He got sick of it thats all. He was sick of it before he got here. As far as being uneducated, thats funny. He graduated Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology with a 3.7

leeggen
08-19-2016, 09:12 PM
One of the things about this sight is they will direct you in the right direction. Sometimes by giving you the answer and sometimes by giving you the direction to find it. It is up to each person asking which they want. The best way to learn it is to look it up, read about it, then doing it. There also is a great search engine on here to find info. altough sometimes finding the right words is alittle tough. We welcome all new comers,but sometimes people get touchy about answering the same questions over and over.Giving each other a brake goes both ways.

CD

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Great post Leeggen. The trouble with censorship, is when its overdone.( You cant say on this website) souns worse after the censorship than it did before I typed it. Sorry, it got me laughing. Besides, it makes me look like I typed an curse word online, which I did not.

runfiverun
08-19-2016, 09:37 PM
auto correct type star making.

so umm,,,, how's the 9mm going?
cause,,, I'm Positive the argument is OVER.

BulletFactory
08-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Works for me, I never wanted it anyhow.

My buddy says thank you everyone for the advice he came for, he is grateful, but doesn't want to deal with it. I don't expect he will be back.

Moonie
08-19-2016, 11:33 PM
It's a shame that a few still ruin it for so many.

runfiverun
08-20-2016, 12:12 AM
we are working on a solution.

Chuck Walla
08-20-2016, 06:34 PM
For anyone under the illusion that listening to "self proclaimed experts" on a forum like this is a good idea because they're on the site all day, every day; read this thread and decide for yourself. When I saw it last year, I had the biggest laugh in a long time:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?289578-44mag-load-data-differences

Haven't been around here for awhile, glad I came back today. That's some FUNNY stuff right there. Some expert, LMAO.

Traffer
08-20-2016, 09:50 PM
174868Here you go:

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Says the attachment link was invalid freind.

Traffer
08-20-2016, 11:13 PM
Sorry. It wasn't a link. It was just a picture that I removed. Same picture of the page on the 9mm reload data that I posted except it was too small to read so I deleted it. Was that info helpful? It was from Hogdon 2016 Reloading Guide final. I don't know how to post pdf files on this site so I did a screen shot of the page.

BulletFactory
08-20-2016, 11:18 PM
He said thanks, he's going to print it out.

Traffer
08-21-2016, 01:17 AM
This is getting frustrating. These pictures look good until I upload them then they are too small to see well. Trying again here:

runfiverun
08-21-2016, 02:04 AM
you can control + and zoom in on them if they don't enlarge with a click.

ironhead7544
08-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Get the Lyman book and join loaddata.com.

I use a 160 gr RN cast in the 9mm. Loading info is on loaddata.com.

Beau Cassidy
08-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Taffer thank you for your positive contribution to this thread.

I have long learned to ignore those who bark the loudest because I can't conceive how many of the so called experts have enough time in the day or year to do what they preach.

Traffer
08-23-2016, 04:12 PM
This is the one I had originally wanted to post. I see thatI had posted the other one twice instead of this one with the other one: