PDA

View Full Version : OLD Lyman Furnace repair

Echo
08-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Help. I have this old Lyman pot whose power input plug/socket is busted. That is all that is wrong with it, I think, so I would like to replace the busted socket with a new one - Where, Oh WHERE, can I get a new one? No one in Tucson has a clue...

mold maker
08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Which pot, and describe the broken socket.

shaune509
08-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Some of the older pots used a cord setup like a crock pot or waffle iron, I would try a small appliance shop.
Shaune509

Smoke4320
08-16-2016, 02:44 PM
a picture of the offending part would really help

I know its only a plug ... but there are many many styles

Echo
08-18-2016, 05:00 PM
It's the old Lyman MouldMaster. The receptacle was based on a mica piece, with 2 prongs sticking out for the plug to go into, just like old toasters. And NO ONE in Tucson has the receptacle! I thought about simply hard-wiring a cord onto the leads, and will if I can't find, or make, a replacement. Really shouldn't be too much trouble to make - I would use a small sheet of fiberglass, in place of the mica, drilling holes for the hardware (that I recovered from the broken part). Finding a small scrap of fiberglass 1/16" thick might be a chore, though. Need a piece about 1x2.5" - which I might just try to make anyway, laminating with epoxy and strengthening maybe with pieces of coping saw blade...

shaune509
08-18-2016, 06:28 PM
If trying to find a replacement for the mica sheet go to an electric motor / industrial control repair shop or welder repair shop and get a piece of thin [< 1/8"] isolation sheet. It is fiberglass based heat/flame resistant material, the last that I used on a job was red in color but have seen others.
Shaune509

Echo
08-18-2016, 10:00 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Ole Joe Clarke
08-22-2016, 08:04 AM
The fiberglass that I tried couldn't take the heat. I went to a appliance parts store and asked for sheet mica. I bought a piece about .015 thick and cut out and used 4 pieces stacked together for strength. It cuts easily with a razor knife, and the repair worked, but the pot has other issues, like me it's kinda old. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Echo
08-23-2016, 01:48 AM
I bought a sheet of fiberglass at an old electronics shop, and will cut a chunk out of it to size, drill 4 holes, and assemble the thing. If the heat eats it up, I'll just hard-wire a power cord in. Pictures to follow...

floydboy
08-24-2016, 10:06 AM
I bet yours is similar to my old Saeco M24 pot. Wanted to find the correct parts to keep it original but no luck. Finally got some high temp wire and hard wired it to the plug-in wire. Works fine. I'll keep my eye open for a junker somewhere I can use to put it back to original someday.

Wayne R. Scott
08-24-2016, 04:11 PM
You might try browsing here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-cords/=13v9jll

mold maker
08-24-2016, 04:55 PM
I hunted for several months before giving in to hard wiring my SAECO. Finally the electrical end of the element burned off flush. It now has a new element and PDI, all hard wired and works better than new.

too many things
08-24-2016, 09:42 PM
ebay is your friend here. check vintage appliances may find one with plug like old coffee pot, waffle cooker

jimkim
09-01-2016, 02:33 AM
I made my own panel by sandwiching cardboard, fiberglass insulation(thin), and hightemp resistant silicone rubber together. I also added a thin piece of plastic on the front. I have an older Lyman Mould Master XX furnace. I think you can use just about any stiff non-conductive material for the plate if you use hightemp silicone to glue a heat shield to it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure you can use fiberglass insulation glued to a piece of breadboard. Add the fiberglass after you attach the prongs. I hope this helps.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk