PDA

View Full Version : New, old .32 Auto pistol

spfd1903
08-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Bought a couple boxes of .32 Auto to try in a Ruger .327 Fed Mag LCR and Single Seven. Accuracy in both revolvers was variable depending on the factory ammo. The Single seven did a one inch group at 21 feet with Hornady 60 grain HP/XTP. In the back of my mind I knew I should start looking at LGS's for an auto pistol. I was aware that Beretta and Kel-Tec make small ones, but hoped to find an older all-steel pistol. Not much luck for months until two weeks ago. A dealer a couple miles from home just got a Czech CZ VZ 27 from an estate sale. No import marks except for a German eagle on the receiver part of the barrel. I had Aquila, PPU, Hornady, and GECO ammo to try. They all shot one inch groups at 21'. Of course the next step is to use the Lyman 75 grain and 85 grain .32 caliber molds and go through the powder choices in the Lyman fourth edition CB manual. The pistol functioned flawlessly, now to search for a second magazine.

Thumbcocker
08-16-2016, 12:17 PM
I always liked the look and feel of CZ27's

Outpost75
08-16-2016, 12:23 PM
The CZ27 is a stout little pistol.

In mine I like the Accurate 31-087T with 5.5 grains of Alliant #2400 or 3 grains of Winchester AutoComp for a bit over 900 fps.

dubber123
08-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but are the CZ27's the ones with the C-clip retained firing pin? I have heard of the clip failing, which ejects the pin out the back right into your face. I would still like to own one, but I wear eyeglasses all the time. Not trying to be one of "those guys", but it is always good to know of any particular "quirks" your firearm may have.

bouncer50
08-16-2016, 09:07 PM
I always like the CZ-50 and the CZ-70 in 32 cal. They were surplus some years back at a good price.

desi23
08-17-2016, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=dubber123;3746098]Someone correct me if I am wrong, but are the CZ27's the ones with the C-clip retained firing pin? I have heard of the clip failing, which ejects the pin out the back right into your face. I would still like to own one, but I wear eyeglasses all the time. Not trying to be one of "those guys", but it is always good to know of any particular "quirks" your firearm may have.[/Q

CZ27's were made with two different firing pin retainers over the course of their manufacture. They never used a C-clip. The original design was a machined retainer plate (similar in concept to a 1911 retainer) with one end enlarged. After the germans took over a simplified, stamped metal plate was used, somewhat resembling an upside down letter J when installed. There have been reports of a few of these breaking at the bend allowing the plate to slip down when fired letting the pin escape during slide recoil. It is a good idea to regularly inspect this part for cracking if you own and shoot one of these (or replace it with a machined one, if you can't find an original they aren't too complicated to make).

dubber123
08-17-2016, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=dubber123;3746098]Someone correct me if I am wrong, but are the CZ27's the ones with the C-clip retained firing pin? I have heard of the clip failing, which ejects the pin out the back right into your face. I would still like to own one, but I wear eyeglasses all the time. Not trying to be one of "those guys", but it is always good to know of any particular "quirks" your firearm may have.[/Q

CZ27's were made with two different firing pin retainers over the course of their manufacture. They never used a C-clip. The original design was a machined retainer plate (similar in concept to a 1911 retainer) with one end enlarged. After the germans took over a simplified, stamped metal plate was used, somewhat resembling an upside down letter J when installed. There have been reports of a few of these breaking at the bend allowing the plate to slip down when fired letting the pin escape during slide recoil. It is a good idea to regularly inspect this part for cracking if you own and shoot one of these (or replace it with a machined one, if you can't find an original they aren't too complicated to make).

Thanks for the info. I wasn't entirely wrong, just mostly wrong ;) A pin to the eyeball doesn't sound fun to me. Good info on the better quality original plates.

Texas by God
08-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but are the CZ27's the ones with the C-clip retained firing pin? I have heard of the clip failing, which ejects the pin out the back right into your face. I would still like to own one, but I wear eyeglasses all the time. Not trying to be one of "those guys", but it is always good to know of any particular "quirks" your firearm may have.

I believe you are thinking of the CZ 38 perhaps.