PDA

View Full Version : Brass Bullets in a Pedersoli 1863 Paper Cartridge Sharps?

jackmast
08-16-2016, 04:26 AM
I would like to try hunting with my Pedersoli 1863 Sharps but my state requires the use of non-lead ammunition.

I was thinking of turning some christmas tree bullets out of brass. Is this a terrible idea? I haven't been able to find any posts by people wanting to try.

Bent Ramrod
08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Sounds to me like a terrible idea. Why don't you cast a few out of the new lead-free solder? It's mostly tin, about the same weight and (more importantly) hardness. A few extras to get your sights set, and a few for the hunt, wouldn't be all that expensive.

Not like replacing a barrel with the rifling ironed out in it, anyway.

montana_charlie
08-16-2016, 12:25 PM
You can find sabots here http://mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/

What do you want to hunt?
The sabot will grab the rifling and protect your bore, but you will probably get poor 'killing power' on game with any full metal case bullet that you place inside the sabot.

The same would be true with your 'brass bullet'. No expansion ...

country gent
08-16-2016, 12:46 PM
A lead free bullet for this rifle may be "tricky", cast from lead free solder as mentioned above might work but also might leave some nasty fouling to deal with. Bismuth would be on the hard side and might not swell to seal the bore correctly. Some research needs to be done here to find out whats legal in your state. Standing in the woods trying to explain what a cast bullet is made from may be tricky and hard to do. Another is coming up with the correct weight to do what you want. A solid tin antimony ( lead free solder) will be on the light side, as would zinc. Bismith would be expensive and heavier and harder that the normal lead alloies use. Again in the field proving what the bullet is made of will be hard. Do jacketed bullet qualify in your state, Solid copper? In most states bismuth shot is allowed in lead free zones but is expensive and on the heavy side. Find out what your state considers lead free, if "historical firearms" ( your paper cartridge rifle, muzzle loaders ) might be excempt. Otherwise find out what guide lines you need to work with in. The other way would be a turned sabot christmas tree for a solid copper bullet of 45 or 50 cal in your 54 bore.

Skipper
08-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Here's some sources you might check before pumping a brass slug down your barrel:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX-Roundballs/products/508/

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-23217%3FNo%3D0%26Np%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%2 53A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D72%26N s%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntp r%3D1

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadfreebulletalloy.htm

jackmast
08-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys!

I think I am going to hold off on brass and alternative casting alloys and try a sabot.

Ballistics in Scotland
08-18-2016, 04:45 AM
I agree it is worth checking out exactly what the legal situation is. The paper-cartridge Sharps might easily get around however they define what is forbidden.

I'm not sure what is meant by the new lead-free solders. The 95% tin, 5% silver plumber's solder has been mandatory for drinking-water applications for quite a while, and is most likely fine, although expensive, even for a grooved and lubed bullet. You could practice with more conventional alloys, and it wouldn't take many shots with your hunting bullet to learn how the trajectory differs. I don't know the shape of the chamber throat in this rifle, but it is a breech-loader, and I don't believe the bullet needs to expand to seal the bore.

There are also tin and bismuth solders which have an undesirably low melting-point for such use, and may also be hard and brittle.

I'd put most faith in a saboted bullet if any unconventional bullet were to be used. A jacketed bullet used in a sabot still has lead in it, and I believe commercial solid copper bullets, even hollow-points, would need more velocity than this rifle would provide, to ensure expansion. I think your best bet is probably a sabot and cast plumber's solder bullet if you need expansion, zinc if you don't. As grooves would be unnecessary, it shouldn't be too hard to make your own bullet mould to suit the sabots.

Tom Trevor
08-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Check with your game department here in Ca. they have list of approved projectiles you can use. And a good idea is to have the package with you for proof.

Grapeshot
09-15-2016, 05:31 PM
I would like to try hunting with my Pedersoli 1863 Sharps but my state requires the use of non-lead ammunition.

I was thinking of turning some christmas tree bullets out of brass. Is this a terrible idea? I haven't been able to find any posts by people wanting to try.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what state forbids lead rifle ammunition for hunting? I know the water fowl hunting requires lead free pellets, (Steel or Tungsten), but what are you supposed to use in a muzzle loader?