PDA

View Full Version : Living right?

ammohead
08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Sometimes when things get tough one tends to wonder what the heck is going on ie my 5 months hiatus from employment. And then the good Lord sees fit to throw you a bone or two to let you know that you aren't that far off the right track. Friday morning I get the word that my services are wanted and all I have to do is run the gauntlet of drug testing (no problem), background check and physical. Today I went to the Docshop in Reno to get checked out. As expected I passed the drug test (almost didn't pass the "can you hold it for a little longer please" test), and the doctor released me for work with zero restrictions. Yahoo! Then on the way home I decided to stop at Sheel's for a little look about. I saw a gorgeous Cooper in 17 Hornet for $3300.00, some scopes that I could make good use of and then stepped into the "gun library". And there in the second glass cabinet was a plain Jane Model 99 E Savage in 300 Savage. It looked like it had just been drug out of the closet to be traded in on some magnum loudenboomer with a multitude of layers of furniture polish in all the corners and 1/8" of dust on the scopes object lens. It has a Bushnell 3-9 variable that probably cost $39.95 new with weaver rings and bases. The rear and front sight insert were missing. But the original steel buttplate was there. After the sticker shock from prices on 99 savages at local gun shows and other venues I was afraid to look, but low and behold $249.99. I inquired and was told that it "just came in" to which I replied "well it just got sold".
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brucerfrechette/DSCF3376%205_zps7pxhjzlh.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/brucerfrechette/media/DSCF3376%205_zps7pxhjzlh.jpg.html)
The 24" bore shines very well with nice sharp corners. The bottom of the receiver has tell tale fading of the blueing from being carried in the field, but I don't think that the owner did a lot of target practice. Overall it cleaned up quite nicely. Next is to take the rear stock off and look at the works that no doubt could use a judicious application of brake clean and some gun oil but for now it sure looks good. Sometimes you just get lucky. Or maybe I'm living right.

Mk42gunner
08-16-2016, 12:47 AM
Nice find. Does the 99E still have the rotary magazine?

It looks like the scope could be a lot lower, probably be easier to shoot then too.

Robert

Hick
08-16-2016, 01:59 AM
Very nice. Congratulations on both (the work and the rifle)

Hick

modified5
08-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Nice find of a nice rifle! I don't get to Scheel's too much over there. I live out in Verdi across the freeway from Cabela's so I hit it every now and again on my way home.
Maybe I need to get to Sparks a little more often. :-)

3leggedturtle
08-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Even if I had no use for it, I still would have bought at that price! Of course any lever action I buy, gets used. What a great find.

Shuz
08-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice find old buddy!

Gaterskiner
08-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Your lucky day for sure. Good luck on the new job too.

Beerd
08-16-2016, 06:31 PM
$249.99?
Your Scheel's must not have the same used gun pricing policy as the store in Billings.

Nice find.

Shawlerbrook
08-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Very nice and a steal to boot !

ammohead
08-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Removed the stocks and stripped the innards. She cleaned up real nice. Took some scotchbrite to the bolt and brass spool. Used solvent to remove all the old oil buildup inside and out then lightly oiled where needed. Looks almost good as new. Or at least as close as a 60+ year old rifle can. Can't wait to see how she shoots.

izzyjoe
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Wow, what a deal! That is a nice find, you know that one is just begging to spend some time in the woods.

Scharfschuetze
08-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Wow! What a deal on a great rifle. My brother collects them and has a few very nice ones. Your new one is right up there thinks I.

TXGunNut
08-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Congrats on the job and a nice rifle. Good luck going forward with both!

OverMax
08-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Nice gun. But appears its wood has been sanded and re-stained.

starmac
08-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Nice gun. But appears its wood has been sanded and re-stained.

I doubt if any mulie or elk will notice, or even care if they did.lol

TCLouis
08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear that you had good news on two fronts.
I would love to stumble across a 99 in 30-30, though that is not likely, at least not in any price I would pay!

ammohead
08-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Urny and I went to the range this morning with a trio of 99's including my new to me 300 and my 250-3000 99R and Urny's 250-3000 99 EG. The new 300 did quite well with 140 gr Barnes Xs and not too bad with some 130 gr Barnes TSXs. The trigger is atrocious or I should say was. I shortened the creep some today and it releases nice and crisp while still being way safe. I will have to take it back out soon and wring it out some more, but it's a hunter for sure.

Blackwater
08-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Wow! With the prices those are going for, you darn near stole that gun! Great buy! It's amazing how little things like missing sights, etc, can lower the price asked for a gun. And for a user, not a collector, those things are easily replaced and pretty cheap to boot! And with the wood as it is, you now have a great excuse to finish it just like you want. Can't imagine a better deal than that for a real shooter who plans on using it as Mr. Savage initially intended for it to be used. Great acquisition!

ammohead
08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Went out this morning to try out the trigger work I did yesterday. This 3 shot group was an older loading with 135 gr Hornady interlocks and I don't have the load data with me it is at my house in Ely NV. This was a light recoiling load that I worked up for my last Xwife (and I do mean last) some 15 years ago, and my late father's featherlight 99 in 300 Sav. The new 99 did not do as well with 130 gr Barnes TSXs today, but I may have been pushing them too hard. I will back off and try again. The good news is that the trigger is much better now. Way less creep.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brucerfrechette/DSCF33791_zpswiw9nzyz.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/brucerfrechette/media/DSCF33791_zpswiw9nzyz.jpg.html)
The hole with the X is from a factory 180 gr round nose that printed all over the place. It definitely prefers lighter bullets as do most 99s in 300 Savage. Most likely due to the 1 in 12 twist. Next will be some NOE 122 gr .315s for my 32-20 sized down to .311.

ammohead
08-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Wow! With the prices those are going for, you darn near stole that gun! Great buy! It's amazing how little things like missing sights, etc, can lower the price asked for a gun. And for a user, not a collector, those things are easily replaced and pretty cheap to boot! And with the wood as it is, you now have a great excuse to finish it just like you want. Can't imagine a better deal than that for a real shooter who plans on using it as Mr. Savage initially intended for it to be used. Great acquisition!

Blackwater,

I guess it is possible that Scheel's just don't know that 99's sell way higher everywhere else, or it could have been something else. While waiting for the paperwork to finish the manager walked in, looked at the rifle and asked "Who's buying the Savage"? I was pointed out to him and after looking he went about his business kind of haltingly as if something was amiss. I wonder if maybe it was priced low for an aquaintance and I just happened to beat him to it. Nothing else in that store is miss-priced that way.

Oh, and I dug through my parts drawer at the Ely house last week and found a Savage front sight for the ramp and a tip over rear that looks just right.

osteodoc08
08-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Congrats on the new job. That's the best news. Guns can come and go but a good job is important. The savage was just icing on the cake.

Yes, living right makes a difference.

ammohead
08-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks osteodoc08, you are very right and the job is a very good one and worthy of note. I just assume most people don't come here to find out about my job. But I am very grateful of the opportunity for gainful employment again. I am 61 and one wonders at that age how many employers will be willing to hire someone my age. I have had only one career as a maintenance technician and have a lifetime of experience to bring to the table, but most companies would rather have someone younger and/or cheaper by the hour than a top hand that could at any day develop health issues.