PDA

View Full Version : Got a Son-in-Law now.

rockrat
08-15-2016, 07:57 PM
He's not too bad. Hard worker and loves my "little girl".

Got to walk her down the isle this past weekend. I did pretty good until the Father/Daughter dance. Couldn't hold back a tear or two. She was the same she told me later. And that I did such a good job raising her, she knew what a good man was like and wouldn't settle for less.

All in all a good wedding. Felt like I was losing my baby girl, but I suspect most Fathers think the same. Look at it as I did not lose my girl, but gained a SIL.

Boolit_Head
08-15-2016, 08:13 PM
That's rough isn't it. Went through that a couple of years ago. Feeding the grandson now. :)

Houndog
08-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Been there done that and still got the tear stained shirt! My Daughter's been married more than 20 years now and the SIL still treats her like she's made of Gold. Just wait till you get that first grandbaby! Ain't nuthin like it!

lightman
08-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Congrats! You should be proud. Hope he is everything that you want him to be.

Thin Man
08-15-2016, 10:01 PM
We have 2 SILs. The older one had been an occasional hunter and shooter but has jumped at every invite I have thrown his way. Lately he has come to the conclusion I keep him around only to drag deer out of the woods for me. The younger SIL is barely started as a shooter, very little interest in hunting. His work hours keep him out of the woods. Time will tell whether he gets into hunting. We have 3 daughters. The one still at home has the search party out looking for a husband for her...

Thin Man

w5pv
08-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Better him hunting with you instead your daughter hunting for him,good luck with the other one praying he will come around also.

Pine Baron
08-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Rockrat, Kind of satisfying when you realize the kids actually were paying attention and did listen to you.

mold maker
08-16-2016, 11:23 AM
We don't give away our Daughters. We just long term loan them in order to get Grandchildren. If we gain a Son in the deal it's a blessing.

Blackwater
08-16-2016, 05:32 PM
To see your offspring wed is a bittersweet experience. They're officially not "yours" any more, but there's SO much satisfaction when they find someone "like dad." My grandson's 17th birthday is today week, and I called my son asking about a gift, and got to once again let him know how much it means to me to see him and the daugher in law raising two such fine young ones! There's nothing that means more to an old man than things like this! NOTHING!

Now just wait 'till those grandkids come along! You think you're "crazy" now? Just wait! :mrgreen:

mold maker
08-17-2016, 04:53 PM
My four teen Grandchildren, that all live on adjoining properties are a joy I can't put into words.
Up close watching them develop and mature is truly a blessing. The oldest is starting college and the youngest graduating elementary school this year. To say I'm proud is a gross understatement.

Boolit_Head
08-17-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm jealous. My first grandson was born half the US away. Luckily they are with us for a few months while the SIL is deployed.

1989toddm
08-17-2016, 05:24 PM
My four teen Grandchildren, that all live on adjoining properties are a joy I can't put into words.
Up close watching them develop and mature is truly a blessing. The oldest is starting college and the youngest graduating elementary school this year. To say I'm proud is a gross understatement.

How did you get them all to live so close? Seems like so many families can't stand to live too close. I hope my children never feel like they can't stand their papa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken in Iowa
08-17-2016, 08:05 PM
My baby girl married last Friday. Last one out of the nest.

Like yours, my daughter had high standards.

Congrats Dad!

mold maker
08-18-2016, 10:02 AM
How did you get them all to live so close? Seems like so many families can't stand to live too close. I hope my children never feel like they can't stand their papa.

How,,, only by prayer, conviction, determination, and some financial help.
We are, and always have been a very close family.
We live in an established community that was populated in the 60s so the opportunity didn't just happen.
Having a single parent of a disabled grandchild made it imperative that we live close. Having caregivers for the whole family when my parents were alive also figured in. I originally lived a block away and moved back home after my parents passed, so now there is are five property (2 not joined, but close) each with extra lots for the future of the next generations.
It's called a family for more reasons than inheritance. Those that extol moving away for income reasons have no clue. Without a family to depend on and to be a help to, money is just another possession, that you can lose in a heart beat.
I am truly blessed.

1989toddm
09-08-2016, 03:46 PM
We live in an established community that was populated in the 60s so the opportunity didn't just happen.
Having a single parent of a disabled grandchild made it imperative that we live close. Having caregivers for the whole family when my parents were alive also figured in. I originally lived a block away and moved back home after my parents passed, so now there is are five property (2 not joined, but close) each with extra lots for the future of the next generations.
It's called a family for more reasons than inheritance. Those that extol moving away for income reasons have no clue. Without a family to depend on and to be a help to, money is just another possession, that you can lose in a heart beat.
I am truly blessed.

Sounds like you are indeed blessed! And have a good family.

kodiak1
09-08-2016, 06:36 PM
I got to do that with the daughter 4 years ago didn't bother me that much as she had been with the same fellow for 12 years. This November have to go and watch my youngest get married he is 32 now and finally found someone that he hopes to spend his life with. The girl is out of Southern Texas and it has been a really really long distance romance for the two so I am glad it is getting to the point that they can finally start a new chapter in their lives.
So off to Vegas for the wedding and then he has to finish his paper work to go to the USA.
Ken.

DoubleAdobe
09-10-2016, 11:29 PM
I am truly blessed.

You are blessed, sir, as am I. My three children and their families live within 15 mile of my wife and I. My youngest, a daughter just got married in January and now have a little, precious baby girl. She found her a newly minted Deputy Sheriff as a husband, a fine fella to add to my other great son-in-law and an equally fine daughter in law.
Seven beautiful grandchildren now and while problems and crises come along, life is rolling along pretty good. Knock on wood, and a prayer by me for continued blessings.
A fine worthy mate for your children is a wonderful thing.

NavyVet1959
09-11-2016, 01:31 AM
I'm just waiting for my daughter to bring someone home that I don't want to shoot on sight.