PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1858 Remmy

Boz330
08-15-2016, 09:20 AM
I picked up an 1858 5 1/2" barreled Remington from Cabela's on sale last year. Tried to fire it with #11 caps but it was a disaster. Caps wouldn't stay on and jammed up the action. Picked up some #10s at Friendship but hadn't had time to fool with it. Yesterday I got the time and what a difference having the right caps made. At 15 paces the group was a ragged hole but 4" low. I was only loading 20gr of 3F because that was the only spout I had and didn't have much time to try a full load because rain was coming in. I think with a full load of powder it might print pretty close to POI.
I'm pretty impressed with this thing at this point, especially for the price. With my eyes I'm thinking about opening up the rear notch a little to give a little more daylight on either side of the front sight.

Bob

daschnoz
08-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Pinch your #11 caps just a bit before you put them on the nipples. That will help them stay put. They also make nipples for those guns that fit #11 caps if you wanted to go that route.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/PIR-S
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/PIR-I

I'm not sure if their price is per nipple, or for a set of six - you may want to contact them before ordering.

I run mine with 32gr of 3F and POI is pretty close to POA.

Boz330
08-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Pinch your #11 caps just a bit before you put them on the nipples. That will help them stay put. They also make nipples for those guns that fit #11 caps if you wanted to go that route.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/PIR-S
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/PIR-I

I'm not sure if their price is per nipple, or for a set of six - you may want to contact them before ordering.

I run mine with 32gr of 3F and POI is pretty close to POA.

Tried pinching the caps and it still didn't work. I bought a set of Ampco nipples for #11 caps and they were too small, so I gave up and bought the 10s.

Bob

Fly
08-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Bob I shoot a lot of cap & ball revolvers. I use nothing but #11 nipples on my guns. All nipples are not the same.Remingtions
#11 fit lose & I pinch them with no problem. CVA #11 fit great on #11 nipples. You might look into Slix shot nipples that what I use now.
https://www.badmanbullets.com/cowboygunparts.com/cap-&-ball-nipples.html
Fly

KCSO
08-15-2016, 11:35 AM
If you change nipples go with slix shot nipples and your troubles will be over, really quality and no more caps in the action.

WILCO
08-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Equipping 1851 Navy replicas with Slix Shot nipples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hns_tEWBFD0

Maven
08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Another positive experience with Slix Shot nipples here! My Ruger Old Army required 2 hammer falls/cap on 3 - 4 of the six chambers with either factory or replacement (Uncle Mikes) nipples, regardless of whether I used #10 or #11 caps. The Slix Shot nipples cured the ROA's problem completely and made it as reliable as my Ruger BH & SBH and equally pleasurable to shoot.

Boz330
08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Bought a 1000 caps so I'm good for awhile and there were no problems with the 10s what-so-ever. Might be good to know when these run out though.

Bob

John Boy
08-15-2016, 01:59 PM
If you change nipples go with slix shot nipples and your troubles will be over
Agree for both Remington NMA's and Colts!

Omnivore
08-16-2016, 01:09 AM
All the APMCO nipples I have, on several guns, from pocket Police to Remington and Colt Army. fit Remington #10 caps perfectly. I've always been curious why they claim they fit #11s. Why anyone would want to pinch every danged cap is beyond me. Get the right fit and save a step.

Battis
08-16-2016, 01:23 AM
From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
"Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."

Fly
08-16-2016, 06:18 AM
(Why anyone would want to pinch every danged cap is beyond me) that's funny. Naw I don't like pinching every cap.
But I try to buy my caps locally, so not to pay hasmat. Most stores around here only carry #11. That's why I converted
all my guns to number #11. But even some of them seem a little lose depending on nipple brand.

Fly

Boz330
08-16-2016, 08:16 AM
(Why anyone would want to pinch every danged cap is beyond me) that's funny. Naw I don't like pinching every cap.
But I try to buy my caps locally, so not to pay hasmat. Most stores around here only carry #11. That's why I converted
all my guns to number #11. But even some of them seem a little lose depending on nipple brand.

Fly

These nipples were supposed to be for the 11s but they just fell off, pinching worked till the first round fired.
I picked mine up at Friendship so no hazmat but they were still $72 or $ 75 a 1000. Some of the dealers were $100 in the 100 tins. I can damned near load my cartridge rifle for the same price as shooting this C&B pistol each time. I picked up a lot of primers when they were $18 a 1000 and my lead was free. Even center fire smokeless loads are cheaper. Not quite the same ambience though.

Bob

Fly
08-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Might look into a howel cartridge cylinder for that bad boy down the road. I have one for my Remmy & my Dragoon.
I go back and forth shooting cap & ball & cartridge, as both are fun.

Fly

rodwha
08-16-2016, 12:27 PM
I put Track of The Wolf nipples on my ROA as I spent way too much effort finding a nutdriver that fit (3/16?) and ToTW were the only ones with the same nut. They claim to be designed for CCI #11's but the magnums almost always needed a second strike. After talking to them I found they were designed for standard non magnum #11's, which are nearly impossible to find. However Rem #10's fit perfectly and fire every time. My OEM Pietta NMA nipples also work well with Rem #10's but I'd buy ToTW nipples again.