PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-15-2016, 06:35 AM
​Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was.—John 11:5–6 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=4030a8592f&e=3dd732485b)The Bible tells the story of a tight-knit family from the town of Bethany that was devastated by an unexpected tragedy. This family, Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, was very close to Jesus—literally. He would sit at their dinner table and spend hours with them.

But tragedy knocked on their door one day. Lazarus was very ill. So they immediately sent word to Jesus: "Lord, behold, he whom Your love is sick" (John 11:3).

Now, I would have expected the next verse to say, "So He transported Himself from where He was to where they were." Or, "He spoke the word, and Lazarus was immediately healed." That would make sense to me.

But here's what actually happened: "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when He heard that he was sick, He stayed two more days in the place where He was" (verses 5–6). This could almost seem like a contradiction. If Jesus really loved Lazarus, then why didn't He immediately go and heal him?

When hardship and tragedy strikes our lives, we might ask a similar question: If Jesus really loves me, then why did He let this happen?

Here is the problem: It's hard to see through eyes filled with tears. We lose perspective. We don't understand why this is happening to us. We need to remind ourselves that God's delays are not necessarily His denials. Just because He doesn't do something as quickly as we want Him to, it doesn't mean that He never will do it. It simply means that God has His timing just as surely as God has His will.

Even though we cannot see how the situation will end or why it has come upon us, it flows from the love of God, and it is controlled by Him

Preacher Jim
08-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Hard sometimes to understand God's perfect time to answer your prayers or when He says no to a prayer but God sees the future and answers prayers as best fits His plan for our future. But God works for the best for us.

buckwheatpaul
08-15-2016, 07:22 AM
"Here is the problem: It's hard to see through eyes filled with tears. We lose perspective. We don't understand why this is happening to us. We need to remind ourselves that God's delays are not necessarily His denials. Just because He doesn't do something as quickly as we want Him to, it doesn't mean that He never will do it. It simply means that God has His timing just as surely as God has His will.

Even though we cannot see how the situation will end or why it has come upon us, it flows from the love of God, and it is controlled by Him"

Excellent points....we want to be in charge and our failure to turn it over to God puts us in a vulnerable spot. God works at his pace and not ours. Thanks for the Bible Study lesson.....Paul

Boaz
08-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Thank you rl69 . A good reminder and lesson that he is in control . Our time is not his time , he is always there .

square butte
08-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Thank you for the study this morning rl

Pine Baron
08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks rl. Not my will, but Thine be done.

Blackwater
08-15-2016, 11:55 AM

When hardship and tragedy strikes our lives, we might ask a similar question: If Jesus really loves me, then why did He let this happen?

Here is the problem: It's hard to see through eyes filled with tears. We lose perspective. We don't understand why this is happening to us. We need to remind ourselves that God's delays are not necessarily His denials. Just because He doesn't do something as quickly as we want Him to, it doesn't mean that He never will do it. It simply means that God has His timing just as surely as God has His will.

Even though we cannot see how the situation will end or why it has come upon us, it flows from the love of God, and it is controlled by Him

What a great lesson, and yet another of the many explanations of why God lets us suffer sometimes. I also have noted that Christ always finishes what He starts, and there was, I think, things left for Him to do where He was already. Plus, he knew full well that whatever the outcome, He could "fix" it, and make it "right" according to His will. And that's just what He did, and in doing so, yielded up to us yet another reason not to ever doubt His divinity and love for all of us.

That's a story that those who always view everything from the perspective of their own wants and desires have to really think about befor they "get" it. Took me a long time to decipher its meaning, for sure!

Thanks for yet another great one, RL. These posts of yours really matter.

johnson1942
08-15-2016, 03:36 PM
please explain that lets us suffer. you cant leave that one unexplained. got to have verses and chapter on that one. never ever saw that in the bible. or you going to ban me from the chapel for verses and chapter proof? if it isnt in the bible i wont except it, if it is, i will. or did you rewrite the bible. here is your chance to lay on verse and chapter for the things you say. i will probably be gone tomorrow but have to have proof. you wanted a religious discussion, lets start here.

johnson1942
08-15-2016, 03:41 PM
again, you constantly say we are not angles yet. never saw that in the bible either. please give me verse and chapter on that one. would love to understand that one as i had high hopes of ruling over angles as the bible says. however if that isnt so then give me chapter and verse for becoming angles. cant see how you can ban me for wanting answers and learning. i really want all your post in chapter and verse so i can learn learn learn. thanks before hand.

Preacher Jim
08-15-2016, 04:28 PM
black water and Johnson1942 time out from a friend
Br. Jim

Blackwater
08-15-2016, 05:09 PM
please explain that lets us suffer. you cant leave that one unexplained. got to have verses and chapter on that one. never ever saw that in the bible. or you going to ban me from the chapel for verses and chapter proof? if it isnt in the bible i wont except it, if it is, i will. or did you rewrite the bible. here is your chance to lay on verse and chapter for the things you say. i will probably be gone tomorrow but have to have proof. you wanted a religious discussion, lets start here.

Johnson, if I thought you'd hear it I might. As it is .... oh well. I don't know what's got your dander up, but your Johnny One-Note responses are NOT contributing one syllable to the discussion. If you have something to contribute, let's hear it. If not .... why are you even here???

Preacher Jim
08-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Black water I was not kidding when I publicly ask you to Kool it.

johnson1942
08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
when i talk to some one about God and throw around thoughts from Gods word i tell them never accept what i say but look at the bible verses i tell them about and judge them. i never ever see you quote bible verses. thats all i ask,trust me when you speak, they will listen more if you quote chapter and verse. thats all i ask from you. you have long post with nothing of Gods word to let us look up. the, we turn into angles thing is new to me and i want to know, it is an important point. we can all learn from this. i encourage you to keep posting but with the backed up of bible verses. you quote this and that but those are quotes from men, not quotes from the bible. i know baptist, as you say you are often, that really know the bible. every other word out of their mouth is verse and chapter. this is the chapel and quotes from man are not acceptable, quotes from God word is very very acceptable. or isnt it? has the chapel gone political secular or is it about Gods Word?. why dont you ever answer a question directly but do as some political figures, side step and call the person a fool who ask the question. if we are christians here then the bible and what it says is our guide. i dont care what version it is, it is the last word on anything thing spoken. why side step it, lets get real, lets get christian.

Blackwater
08-16-2016, 05:03 PM
You're right, Jim. Thanks. It's not my nature, but then, our nature is one of the things we're here to overcome, isn't it? Thanks again. I have problems dealing with things that just don't make sense. My bad. Sorry.