PDA

View Full Version : Krag Sporter Question

condorjohn
08-14-2016, 08:55 PM
I found this Krag at a gun show a while back. The only screws holding the action in the stock are the two trigger guard screws. The fellow I bought it from said he just put the barreled action in this stock to sell it and it had never been fired as such.

Are those two screws alone sufficient to hold it together for firing moderate Boolit loads?174451174452

Der Gebirgsjager
08-14-2016, 09:09 PM
The answer is "yes". There are many sporters that only have the screws holding the action into the stock. As long as you'll be bench resting it for boolit shooting (I assume...?) there should be no problem at all. Since there is nothing holding it in the stock forward of the trigger guard you might check to see if the barrel is free floated, and if not you might consider doing so. Now if you intend to take it hunting, then that's another matter. I see that it has sling swivels. If the rifle is being carried by a sling over your shoulder then the front part of the stock takes all of the pulling and jerking as you tromp through the woods. In that event, you might consider some sort of barrel band or other means of securing the stock at that location. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Krag--they're great old rifles.

gnoahhh
08-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Why rely on those two screws that "probably" are good enough? You will find that your Krag's accuracy will likely improve, even with mild cast bullet loads, if you add a third anchor point. Saw that happen with one of mine and a buddy's. That barreled action wants to lever itself up out of the stock when fired, with only the two trigger guard screws anchoring it way in the back there.

nicholst55
08-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Adding another anchor point on sporters was a common practice during years gone by. IIRC, only one of the Krag TG screws actually screws into the action. The other is a wood screw. Unless I'm hallucinating...

Themoose
08-15-2016, 03:16 PM
both screws go into the action... not wood screws...

Char-Gar
08-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Adding another anchor point on sporters was a common practice during years gone by. IIRC, only one of the Krag TG screws actually screws into the action. The other is a wood screw. Unless I'm hallucinating...

You are hallucinating, both those screws go into the receiver.

That said, a barrel band or addition screw into the bottom of the front receiver ring will keep the barrel in place.

The rear of the magazine box should bear against the wood, as that is the only recoil lug to keep the wood in place. A shim or glas bedding is often needed in this area.

Frank46
08-15-2016, 11:54 PM
Think Buckshot did a post sometime back illustrating the extra screw on the underside of the front receiver ring. I've seen krags that had been sporterized with a barrel band that allowed an extra screw to be installed. But you would have to inlet the forend and drill a hole and make an escutchon so as to allow the screw to be tightened and not tear up the wood. Frank

condorjohn
08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
I was happy with the first answer but now I'm back to square one. I'll keep all the sugestions in mind but, as it is, I'm going to be shooting light to moderate Boolit loads off the bench. I'll also be looking for one of those many cut-down military stocks with front barrel band. I kind of like the looks of a faux carbine... Thanks, John

PS: Here's my other Krag174537

nicholst55
08-16-2016, 10:26 AM
both screws go into the action... not wood screws...

You are hallucinating, both those screws go into the receiver.

That said, a barrel band or addition screw into the bottom of the front receiver ring will keep the barrel in place.

The rear of the magazine box should bear against the wood, as that is the only recoil lug to keep the wood in place. A shim or glas bedding is often needed in this area.

It's been nearly 30 years since I had a Krag apart, so bear with me. :confused: Thanks for straightening me out. Maybe I should have taken my Krag out of the safe and looked, rather than going by memory...

scb
08-16-2016, 07:13 PM
The original also had barrel bands(rifle) or a barrel band(carbine) helping to hold it in the stock. On a couple I re-made I drilled and tapped the bottom of the receiver ring 1/4-28 used a rem 700 guard screw and inletted a brass escutcheon into the stock. The Norwegian Krag was built that way.

Ken in Iowa
08-16-2016, 07:40 PM
The original also had barrel bands(rifle) or a barrel band(carbine) helping to hold it in the stock. On a couple I re-made I drilled and tapped the bottom of the receiver ring 1/4-28 used a rem 700 guard screw and inletted a brass escutcheon into the stock. The Norwegian Krag was built that way.

That sounds like a great solution.