PDA

View Full Version : When Illinois leaves Wisconsin

white eagle
08-14-2016, 05:34 PM
On Sunday the traffic on the interstate is a joke.80 mph then a dead stop,oh there is a merge another stand still but wait a car on the side of the road now we are in a mile and a half back up 3 lanes mind you.Just don't get it I believe most people should not have a drivers license.:oops:

randyrat
08-14-2016, 05:47 PM
You have to drive as fast as you can, so you can get in front or the next car:kidding:.If your in the passing lane the car way in back of you speeds up to about 90 and gives you dirty looks when they pass, how dare you get in their way.
I just ignore and drive stress free, leave a bit early and back away from the crowds, let em go. Stay away from the dangerous people.

MT Chambers
08-14-2016, 05:58 PM
The left lane is a passing lane and folks that linger there should be fined, it's not because people are in hurry, it's just proper etiquette, and it's the law!! It's even more of a fact in Europe where people in that wrong lane get pulled off the road.

bayjoe
08-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Sounds like I25. I think people would slow down to look at prairie dogs

Hickory
08-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Sounds like I25. I think people would slow down to look at prairie dogs
Maybe antelope?

dragon813gt
08-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Try driving around the NYC corridor anytime of the day. Or I80E on a Sunday as everyone is leaving the Poconos back into NJ. Or the Schuykill Expressway or Blue Route, Philadelphia, anytime during daylight hours. And to make it local, PA 422. Drivers have literally shot at other drivers on 422.

I'm glad I get paid for every second of my travel time while working. My stress level has gone to zero and the worse traffic is the more I get paid. My only concern is where the closest bathroom is. Especially in the morning ;)

runfiverun
08-14-2016, 10:03 PM
I like knowing that 60 miles away is about an hours travel time.
sometimes longer.
not because of traffic more because I'm pretty good at pulling off the highway and shooting a rock chuck or a yote on my way to town.
or just because I feel like driving 52 while I listen to the radio program.
I may drive 65 or 68 or usually more like 70 on I-15 but not 80 for sure, I just don't like driving my vehicles that fast [all the time] the only ones passing me have out of state plates anyway.

mold maker
08-15-2016, 03:14 PM
I hate driving on Intrastates. I'd like to see more than the tail lights on the car in front of me.
Why bother taking a Sunday drive if that's all you see?
When I grew up driving was a fun experience. We went at a speed that was comfortable, and no one gave us dirty looks or flipped the bird. Limits were posted and very few exceeded them. If someone had trouble you knew them or their neighbors, and stopped to help. Now being neighborly can get you a fine for improper parking and impeding traffic.
A Sunday drive used to be relaxing, now it's nerve wracking.
No, it's got nothing to do with my age. It's the attitude of others on the way to nowhere, but in a hurry to get there and back, without even leaving a shadow.

lefty o
08-15-2016, 05:04 PM
your first mistake was being in illinois. no need to say anything else.

DCP
08-15-2016, 08:17 PM
The left lane is a passing lane and folks that linger there should be fined, it's not because people are in hurry, it's just proper etiquette, and it's the law!! It's even more of a fact in Europe where people in that wrong lane get pulled off the road.

They should also fine the ones speeding and tailgating and driving crazy

Traffer
08-15-2016, 08:38 PM
When it comes to Ill leaving WI. I am in favor of putting up a big fence or wall on the border and NOT ALLOWING ANYONE FROM ILLINOIS TO ENTER WISCONSIN FOR ANY REASON EVER. There I said it. Since I was a boy watching carloads of Chicago people deer hunt in WI. Semi auto rifles...the most powerful available and plenty of booze. After the first day when they don't get a deer they start shooting everything. No understanding of the out of doors at all. Just a place to get wild and blow off steam.
There I said my peace.

dragon813gt
08-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Your story can apply to out of state hunters in every state. The stories are all the same. Not saying they aren't true. Just that residents always complain about people from out of state.

Blanket
08-15-2016, 08:45 PM
how is Milwaukee turning out ???????

Plate plinker
08-15-2016, 08:50 PM
I would be satisfied with walling off greater chicago land.

redriverhunter
08-15-2016, 09:08 PM
my uncle farms in wis. and he definitely has no use for hunter from ill. Traffer comments are almost identical to my uncles. What I found interesting is a lot of hunting land here in Texas is leased. I can totally understand a person making as much off his land as he can and if leasing make him more income good for him ( I cant afford one lol). Any way my point about the hunting land that is leased here is, I know a guy who leases his land has all the comforts of home, here is the kicker he told most of the guys who lease his land, hunt opening day then it becomes a drunk fest. I get the biggest kick of or his stories about the guns these guys bring out most are a magnum of some sort and they all look to be safe queens. I hunt with my rifles and all scratches dings are a memory of a good day of hunting that, I had to work for the chance to harvest a deer. Maybe deer hunting is a excuse to get away and have a party for some?

smokeywolf
08-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Hate "rubber-neckers". These AHs think they have the right to delay 100 people behind them so that they can slow to a crawl and gawk at an accident or just a cop on the side of the road, issuing a ticket. People who impede the progress of others because they're hoping to see something horrible that they can talk about at work tomorrow, should lose their license for at least several months.

DLCTEX
08-15-2016, 10:12 PM
I had a car tailgating me today, literally about five feet off my truck's tailgate as I followed an 18 wheeler doing 60. When we came to a place where the 2 lane added a passing lane I pulled left to pass with the car still glued to my bumper. The truck was gaining speed so it too a little while to pass him to where I could be able to safely move to the right, at a now 77 mph(speed limit 75). The car narrowly missed my rear corner as it accelerated and proceeded in excess of 80 after giving me a dirty look as she passed. The tag wasn't Texas, but a ways to the north. Just what I expected.

NavyVet1959
08-15-2016, 11:02 PM
I hate it when I'm passing people and an 18-wheeler pulls out because he figures he's going a half of a mph faster than the other 18-wheeler and wants to pass him.

I'm pretty sure that most people never look in their rear view mirrors to see if any car is gaining on them. Or they don't car or figure that it is their job to enforce the speed limit on everyone else on the road.

I like the way they do it in Europe though. Instead of flashing your bright lights to indicate that you want to pass, you just put your left blinker on. It's a bit less of an "in your face" type of thing and you're more likely to notice it as they are coming up on you from a distance so you can move over.

rking22
08-15-2016, 11:19 PM
What I've noticed around here is it seems the left lane is now the "phone booth"! Repeatedly see someone bring the phone to their ear, then move to the left lane and SLOW DOWN while talking! Drives me nuts, they been driving in the right lane at the speed limit , all is good , then gotta make a phone call so just move over to the left to talk???????? Maybe just a TN thing,, probably not..

Traffer
08-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Have you heard about that woman in Canada who stopped on an interstate to let geese cross the road. She got at least one person killed and maybe more. I think the judge gave her 18 years in prison.
Wow awful, tragic, sad, damn near makes me cry every time I think about it.

MT Chambers
08-16-2016, 12:26 AM
Did you ever think that the reason people are doing that is because of poor divers that drive in the wrong lane and hold up traffic? Trucks are an even worse traffic danger when they use the passing lane.

NavyVet1959
08-16-2016, 12:53 AM
Did you ever think that the reason people are doing that is because of poor divers that drive in the wrong lane and hold up traffic? Trucks are an even worse traffic danger when they use the passing lane.

I miss the days when fuel was cheap and the truck drivers were the ones who were driving fast.

Hamish
08-16-2016, 01:01 AM
When it comes to Ill leaving WI. I am in favor of putting up a big fence or wall on the border and NOT ALLOWING ANYONE FROM ILLINOIS TO ENTER WISCONSIN FOR ANY REASON EVER. There I said it. Since I was a boy watching carloads of Chicago people deer hunt in WI. Semi auto rifles...the most powerful available and plenty of booze. After the first day when they don't get a deer they start shooting everything. No understanding of the out of doors at all. Just a place to get wild and blow off steam.
There I said my peace.

Just another reason we want to evict Cook County and build a wall,,,,,,,,

bedbugbilly
08-16-2016, 08:44 AM
It just isn't a Illinois/Wisconsin thing . . it's everywhere. When we go from MI to AZ and from AZ back to MI, it amazes me what we see along the way. We have been traveling across the Texas panhandle with practically no traffic and someone will be traveling along in the left hand lane when there is absolutely no one in the right hand lane. I am so sick of seeing idiots on their cell phones while driving or worse yet, those texting. C;mon . . . if it's that call or text is that important, pull off the road where you won't be a danger to others.

And then you have those who don't want to take their "cruise" off when they approach an area where there is a little congestion . . . . I can't count the number of times we have been on the freeway and some joker . . man or woman . . is driving and actually reading the paper or a book while driving! When I worked ambulance and fire/rescue, I scraped up too many people as a result of some idiot's drinking, lack of attention or road rage. What it boils down to is "courtesy" for others . .. and some have a real lack of it.

upr45
08-16-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm a Yooper, and really appreciate it when driving! Lots of miles of woods and swamps here. Not as much fun in winter. Always regret anytime driving thru Chicago, seems like there's way too much traffic anytime of day. I sense that they award "points" to anyone, especially a young testosterone soaked one who can get on the interstate, cut across all lanes of traffic then cut back over and take the next exit at 90mph+, with additional points if that exit is within 1/4mile of where they got on.
I used to live south of Green Bay, night before WI deer season was an absolute nightmare to drive north! Sunday night after Thanksgiving -- same nightmare to drive south, especially if the Packers played in GB!

Came back from AZ to Appleton last year the afternoon of Packer Family night -- like the Packers, but we were the only ones on the road not wearing Packer shirts -- traffic was so slow you could see what everyone looked like which is unusual for me to notice.
Came back from the other daughter's and tried to cross the Mackinac Bridge after the Labor Day bridge walk last year. Timed it so we came to the bridge about 2 hrs after it was supposed to be done. Boy did we get that one wrong!

nekshot
08-16-2016, 09:37 AM
interesting driving habits must flow in the river! Here around springfield locals slow up to look at a pidgeon drop on the high way. Then they have that pull over for emergency vehicle law(if your too stupid to figure that out you should not drive) and it really gets crazy on 4 lane high ways with the opposing lane trying to hit the shoulder for a vehicle far across the median!! Sheeeeez give me a break!

NavyVet1959
08-16-2016, 10:25 AM
In a lot of areas, the right lane is in considerably worse condition than the left lane, so it's understandable that someone might want to drive in the left lane. The problem though is that these people do not ever look in their rear view mirrors to see if traffic is catching up with them and then move over well before the car catches up to them.

Oh, and it would be nice if drivers used their turn signals as an indication of what they are *going* to do (vs what they *already* did). :)

Duckiller
08-17-2016, 06:30 PM
What State limit the left lane to passing only? Don't drive slow in the left lane but you can travel as long as you want. I would like code citations not old rumors.

DCP
08-17-2016, 06:45 PM
What State limit the left lane to passing only? Don't drive slow in the left lane but you can travel as long as you want. I would like code citations not old rumors.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-01-04/travel/0401020404_1_new-illinois-law-construction-zones-lane

"For years in our defensive driving course we've been teaching that the left lane should only be used for passing," Hector said. "If you go out driving, it's easy to tell when there is someone who gets out there [in the left lane] and just doesn't move over. The intent of this law is to prevent the road rage incidents that happen as a result of that."
The law doesn't apply when there isn't another vehicle directly behind one in the left lane, when traffic is congested, inclement weather makes it necessary to ride in the left lane, an exit is on the left side of the road or at tollway plazas and in construction zones.
"The bottom line is that you can drive in the left lane all day long until somebody wants to pass you. Then you have to move over," Millner said.

NavyVet1959
08-17-2016, 07:21 PM

Well, I've seen plenty of signs on the highways as I've driven across country where it says, "left lane passing only", so it's not unreasonable to assume that there's some traffic code / legislation that goes along with it.

dragon813gt
08-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Drive right, pass left is the law in PA and NJ. You have a limited amount of time to pass and get back over. I think most states in the NE have the law on the books. And yes, it's actually the law.

Now if the semis/buses/dump trucks would heed the "no trucks buses in left lane" signs I would be a lot happier. They really slow things down for no good reason.