PDA

View Full Version : X-Ray room lead sheeting?

LSCG
08-14-2016, 02:49 AM
I possibly have a chance to get around #500 of lead sheeting that came from the walls of an X-Ray room for a little over $100 bucks. I know it's a stupid question but does it sound like a good buy?

from all I've read this can be considered pure lead and good for muzzle loaders or for mixing with harder alloys.

i'm still pretty new to casting and I just don't want to get burned on a bad deal because I didn't do my homework.

thanks!

w5pv
08-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Sounds ok to me but I haven't had to buy any lead as all that I have invested is my labor from smelting ww's into ignots

izzyjoe
08-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Grab it, you'll regret it if you don't!

Beagle333
08-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Great deal. Even with a LOT of wallpaper on it, it's still a super deal. Grab it!

lightman
08-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Yes, thats a good deal. And yes, it will be very soft lead. Beware, it will probably have sheetrock and/or glue stuck to it. Not a big deal, but something else to contend with.

Half Dog
08-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Do not pass it up.

I am beginning my adventure into BP shooting and I'm sure that myself and many others will be happy to use what you don't want.

NyFirefighter357
08-14-2016, 10:33 AM
That's cheaper than scrap price. Go, go.go!

Mitch
08-14-2016, 11:21 AM
yep a good deal buy all you can at that price.you can allways swap with someone for a different alloyit you need something else

Hardcast416taylor
08-14-2016, 01:06 PM
That is indeed a fair price for the lead. The only downside about this is if you must remove the sheeting from being attached to drywall, that can be a messy and smelly job - been there and done that!Robert

LSCG
08-14-2016, 02:34 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. I thought it sounded like a good deal but figured it best to check with more knowledgeable people.

unfortunately for me I just found out the guy sold it to someone else. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
oh well, back to the lead hunt.

victorfox
08-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Time for stupid question. Doesn't x ray leave something undesirable in lead? I've read the same applies to car batteries, though I asked a shot maker (industrial not a backyard operation) what was their source of lead and he replied, we mostly use car batteries and recast WW into WW :confused:

Chris C
08-14-2016, 04:16 PM
I possibly have a chance to get around #500 of lead sheeting that came from the walls of an X-Ray room for a little over $100 bucks. I know it's a stupid question but does it sound like a good buy?

from all I've read this can be considered pure lead and good for muzzle loaders or for mixing with harder alloys.

i'm still pretty new to casting and I just don't want to get burned on a bad deal because I didn't do my homework.

thanks!

Don't go buy it............run toward it and throw your money ahead of you so someone else doesn't get it. I'd pay that in a heartbeat even if'n I had to rob a 7-11 to get the money!

Ithaca Gunner
08-14-2016, 08:41 PM
I've used it, works great. Buy it.

dead dog
08-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Radiation is energy it can not be stored in lead. Xray lead is safe to use.

runfiverun
08-14-2016, 10:21 PM
yep.
X-rays don't penetrate lead.
anything it does absorb it gives back up again in a short period of time that's why it's used in the X-ray rooms and for moving around nuclear medicine.

Hardcast416taylor
08-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Time for stupid question. Doesn't x ray leave something undesirable in lead? I've read the same applies to car batteries, though I asked a shot maker (industrial not a backyard operation) what was their source of lead and he replied, we mostly use car batteries and recast WW into WW :confused:

The possible undesireable thing from melting batteries down is the possible retention of battery acid compounds. There is nothing in x ray shielding lead with the possibality of removing the glued on drywall.Robert

victorfox
08-14-2016, 11:40 PM
Thanks for explaining! I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff... Was awful in physics and chemistry in school... :(

scottfire1957
08-17-2016, 12:58 AM
thanks for the advice everyone. I thought it sounded like a good deal but figured it best to check with more knowledgeable people.

unfortunately for me I just found out the guy sold it to someone else. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
oh well, back to the lead hunt.

You're gonna miss a lot of good buys if you don't read and research beforehand, as you just found out. Read, research, buy as it comes up. Knowledge is good.

Better luck next time.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2016, 06:19 AM
I scored a ton of it a few years back. Never had it tested but was told that its pure with 1 percent antimony added to make it easier to handle when there handling it. I use it as pure.

6bg6ga
08-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Go for it

richhodg66
08-17-2016, 11:03 PM
That is indeed a fair price for the lead. The only downside about this is if you must remove the sheeting from being attached to drywall, that can be a messy and smelly job - been there and done that!Robert

I got 100 pounds or so of it for free a month or two back. I peeled it off the dry wall for the most part then on advice here, just left it outside with the adhesive side up. So far, looks like the rain is taking that stuff off for me.

mold maker
08-18-2016, 11:49 AM
In years past I've reclaimed lots of it from demo projects and later from reconstruction. It's considered pure and the wall board is the only negative to it. The paper and gypsum stink when burning off. The paper burning acts as a reductant and the gypsum offers insulation till the melt is complete, so it's also a plus. A wax (flux) ball added will initiate the flame to reduce the stink and smoke.

Oklahoma Rebel
08-18-2016, 02:36 PM
well I know you missed it, sorry! but I had an Idea,what about buying a couple of those 10 dollar blue kiddie pools from wal-mart and soak them in water? I bet in 2 days it would come right off!

Lloyd Smale
08-19-2016, 07:22 AM
I did the same. I had 7 huge doors that had it sandwiched in and I just left them out in the yard through the rest of the summer and all winter and by spring you could just peel the wood off with your hands.
I got 100 pounds or so of it for free a month or two back. I peeled it off the dry wall for the most part then on advice here, just left it outside with the adhesive side up. So far, looks like the rain is taking that stuff off for me.

Huntsman52
08-19-2016, 09:52 AM
X-Ray lead is good stuff. From my past job I did a lot of X-ray room renovations and would always save the lead lined rock. I peels off and just smelt as you would wheel weights and skim out any gypsum that was left behind. The lead is almost pure, like up to 99.9%.

Nose Dive
08-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Get and smelt all you can!! It is good stuff.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.