PDA

View Full Version : Loading CB's for rifle for the first time - ???s

selmerfan
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Okay, I just got done casting my .266" 140 gr. GC WDWW boolits from an NEI mold. Casting went great, sizing is going well, other than the sticky Lyman Super Moly lube, and now it's time to load them. I will be loading for a .260 Remington Model 700 Mountain rifle. I intend to use a variety of powders, including 4895, Red Dot, and Blue Dot. My two big questions are: Do I need to expand the case mouth before seating the boolits? (I hope not...I haven't got an expander die!) and Do I need to crimp these boolits? I wouldn't think so, being as I'm firing them for target practice from a magazine-fed bolt action. Let me know your opinions, if you have any favorite loads for this cartridge, let me know!
Selmerfan

Linstrum
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
If you follow load data you will do just fine! With soft cast projectiles the case quite often does need a bit of taper to keep from shaving a slice of lead off the side, though. You don't need an expander die, though, I use a large Phillips screw driver, mechanics taper punch, another necked cartridge, or anything else that has a taper to it that will fit inside the neck of the cartrdige case that needs to be opened up a bit.

Good Luck!

rl351

Lead melter
05-28-2008, 04:26 PM
selmerfan,

Having no experience with the .260 I can't give any load data advice. I can however help with the expansion of case necks. Since you do not have an expander die, you can use a drift, which is a tapered punch often used to align heavy parts where the holes must meet up. If you do not have one, try a finish nail setter, which is another tapered punch, or a common nail or bolt a little bigger than the case neck. Be sure to grind or file the threads or flats from the bolt or nail. Taper the "punch" you have made, insert it in the case mouth and give it a little tap with a hammer. You'll get the process down in no time.

As to crimps...try some with and some without. My experience has been a lot better with a crimp, especially with a slower powder.

runfiverun
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
you can try seating without flairing with the g/c.
i don't have to flare most of my cases, however i am only running .001-.002 neck tension.
and an inline seater.
go slow and easy if the boolit feels jammed it probably is.

selmerfan
05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I got the expansion problem solved. I back the expander ball waaaayyy off in my 7mm Mag dies and back the die body out to the point where at the top of the stroke the expander ball put a nice little taper on my .260 brass! Thanks for the other suggestions though. I'm going to try 13 gr. of Red Dot, 14 g.r of Blue Dot, and 18 gr. of 4198 and start from there with my 140 gr. cast boolit. I'm more than excited to do this, I'm cast boolit virgin with a rifle! Plenty with handguns, but if I can make this a viable target option for my deer rifles I'll be tickled pink. Cheap boolits and light loads of excess powders I have on hand, what could be better?!?
Selmerfan

selmerfan
05-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I got some loaded up, I used 1/8th turn on the crimp with my Redding seat die, just to make sure the flare was knocked down.
Selmerfan

sniper
06-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Another solution to the problem is the Lyman "M" die.

It is a two step die, first expanding the case to bullet diameter, then to a couple of thousandths over. I expand the case mouths about 1/16" deep, which allows all bullets to be snugly hand seated in the case mouth before final seating/crimping. I have used one for my handguns for years, and just got one for my rifle, in anticipation of shooting cast bullets. Works good for jacketed, too.

In theory, it works the case mouth less than belling them, and would eliminate the necessity of buying a separate chamfer tool for VLD style jacketed bullets. Lock, Stock, and Barrel has them.
If you are loading for .25 caliber, DON't order the .25 cal. pistol die by mistake. (Don't ask how I know this!) :oops:

jlchucker
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
As Sniper says, a Lyman M die would solve your problem. A die such as this is an extra operation but IMO well worth the effort. Lee also makes a universal expanding die, and I have one of those. It's a one-size-can-fit-all arrangement, and not too pricey. Be careful with this one though. It's easy to put too much of a flare on your case with it, so set it up very carefully.

NSP64
06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I use a LEE flare die (designed for the cast boolit shooter). It has Different size cones in it, and you flip them around for whatever caliber you are flaring. I use it for .311 and .45. Seems like it was $18. from midway:drinks:

NSP64
06-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I use a LEE flare die (designed for the cast boolit shooter). It has Different size cones in it, and you flip them around for whatever caliber you are flaring. I use it for .311 and .45. Seems like it was $18. from midway:drinks:
Correction: It is called a 'Universal cast bullet expanding die' #140-461 from midway pg 340 (#31 master catalog) .22-.45 cost $10.79:Fire:

Linstrum
06-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Hey, there, selmerfan -

Alright!!! You got some loaded up!

Yeah, there is nothing quite like the first time you try a cast rifle load. It is a good thing you have a selection of powders because a rifle will often work better with one particular powder compared to all the others. I use a similar load of Red Dot with a 160-grain 0.266" in my two 6.5mm Swedish Mausers. I don't have my loading data with me right now so I can't say exactly how much Red Dot I use, but I got the load out of the Lyman 46th manual.

Be sure to let us know how your loads work out!

rl352