PDA

View Full Version : Lead Free Solder still of BLOW OUT at...

miestro_jerry
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Grainger has their lead free soldier on blow out, $6.93 a pound.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1ZHW2

If you order via the Internet there is no shipping.

I just received 10 pounds and ordered another 10 pounds today.

Just thought I would share this with all of you.

:castmine:

Jerry

218bee
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Is this 95/5- tin/antimony??

mold maker
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Link says. (Contents 97% Tin, 2% Copper, 0.8% Silver and 0.2% Antimony)
Will the 2% copper be any problem??

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
copper wont hurt anything in that consentration if it is used to alloy lead

miestro_jerry
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
And the silver will kill Werewolves.

Jerry

Echo
05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
We have coyotes, bobcats, foxes, mountain lions, and their vittles (quail, cottontails, pets), but haven't seen any werewolves. Still, it pays to be prepared, so I ordered 10# myself...

EasyEd
USAF Ret
NRA Patron

targetshootr
05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I just ordered 10 lbs and I've never use it but I called a local plumbing supply and he quoted over $20 per pound for lead free solder. No matter what it is, if it's priced right, I'm buying it.

:drinks:

targetshootr
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
How much would be ideal using ww in a 20 lb pot casting 44s and 45s?

Meatco1
05-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok, I must be doing something wrong, as I keep getting a shipping charge on the invoice. Don't see a "No charge" for shipping at all.

Richard

Kraschenbirn
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Link says. (Contents 97% Tin, 2% Copper, 0.8% Silver and 0.2% Antimony)
Will the 2% copper be any problem??

Shouldn't be. I snagged an odd lot (7 1/2#) of the same alloy off fleaBay a back in early April and have been mixing it with straight PB to make my 25-1 BP alloy. Haven't tested for hardness but can't tell any difference between boolits cast from this and those cast using 63/37 Sn/Pb solder as a source for Sn...same dimensions, same weight.

Bill

Tom Herman
05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
miestro_jerry,

I owe you! Thanks for posting Grainger's blowout sale! I just ordered ten pounds... That should last me quite a while, as I only need a half pound per 20 pounds of lead alloy...
Today I was forced to buy relatively pure lead to alloy with my free wheel weights, and I found that I used up my last bar of 63/37 solder... So the question du jour was where in the blazes I was going to get a Tin fix from to continue my habit... Problem solved!
Thanks again for sharing.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Grainger has their lead free soldier on blow out, $6.93 a pound.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1ZHW2

If you order via the Internet there is no shipping.

I just received 10 pounds and ordered another 10 pounds today.

Just thought I would share this with all of you.

:castmine:

Jerry

Tom Herman
05-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi targetshootr,

Try 2% Tin to increase flowability and mould fillout... It works wonders for me!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

How much would be ideal using ww in a 20 lb pot casting 44s and 45s?

Dale53
05-31-2008, 12:28 AM
I have plenty of tin but I sure appreciate the heads up, anyway. There have to be a lot of us that can use tin at this price.

Thanks for sharing!

Dale53

Tom Herman
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi Folks,

I called my local Grainger's yesterday to confirm that my ten rolls of solder arrived OK. Sho'nuff, it was there waiting for me.
I then ordered another ten pounds, and the girl had a problem finding it. Apparently, it's a DISCONTINUED ITEM, so once it's gone, it's gone! Get yours now, or be SOL....

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

miestro_jerry
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Guys,

I stock up on these things when I find them. I order stuff over the Internet all the time with Grainger and they don't charge me shipping. When I call and place an order via the telephone they charge me shipping.

Last year they discontinued stocking a certain welding rods for gas welding and I bought about 60 pounds of the stuff, I called the order in and got charged shipping. When I ordered 4 10 pound fire extinguishers for the shop via their website, a truck showed up and never got charged for shipping.

When I find gems out there I will post them.

Jerry

pjh421
06-05-2008, 01:26 AM
What do you do if you don't own a company?

Paul

garandsrus
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
FYI... I ordered from the internet and did get a 6.95 shipping charge. I'm not complaining though.

John

Tom Herman
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
What do you do if you don't own a company?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Simple! You do what I do: Make up a name and order away! Go online, have a credit card ready for your first order, fillout their account application, and place your first order.
All they care about is if you're tax exempt or not. If you're an average Joe like me, simply check off not tax exempt, and you pay sales tax. No need for a pesky business license...
The name can be as simple as "Alfred E. Newman Enterprises", or "Newman and Sons", or maybe a favorite pasttime: "Casters Supply Company"... Use your imagination, and fly under the radar.
BTW: I picked up my 20 pounds yesterday! All set for a while...
Happy Shootin'! -Tom

pjh421
06-06-2008, 04:34 AM
easy as pie. now lets see if it shows up. Thanks Tom.

paul

mike in co
06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
according to grainger ..i bought the last one....
there was only one left....you guys are bad....

mike in co

Tom Herman
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
And I'm glad you got what you needed. I'm sorry for Mike and the others that will read these posts that it's all gone.
Many thanks again to Jerry for clueing us all in on this bargain. Now I'm all set with Tin for the next half ton of alloy.
Happy Shootin'! -Tom

easy as pie. now lets see if it shows up. Thanks Tom.

paul

garandsrus
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Mike,

The web site looks like it will still let you order the solder....

John

pjh421
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Mike,

"I was only following orders.". That's worked throughout history for more horrific crimes than this. Luckily my wife likes to shoot & won't give me any static.

Paul

Dale53
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
After commenting that I had all of the tin I needed, I received a call from a friend telling me that he had 8 lbs of tin that he needed to move (at $6.00 per lb). I asked him if he knew what the going rate was, he said yes, but it was $6.00 per lb to me. I went by and picked it up.

So, I now have "enough" and then some:mrgreen:.

Dale53

JIMinPHX
06-07-2008, 04:18 AM
My local Grainger had 25# in stock this morning. Now they have 20# & I’m set on tin for a few years.

Thanks for the tip off Jerry.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
06-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Oh well. gotta be fast on these deals!

Lee
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Well it just let me order 4 rolls, and did not indicate a B/O condition. 'Course it also charged me sales tax(okio) and SHIPPING, but I'm used to getting screwed somehow or another............

mike in co
06-07-2008, 09:12 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....wonder why they told me no....( did you guys tell them about me ???)
i was doing willcall...maybe i'll try to order on line...

thanks for the heads up

mike in co

Tom Herman
06-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi Mike,

I ordered my first batch online. Then, I set the default to "will call", so I have to go and pick it up... The only thing I can think of is that when you buy it online, it goes to their nationwide database, and the stuff gets shipped in to the local store from a warehouse, whereas if you call up the local dweezle and you get someone that's just lazy, incompetent,or in a bad mood (or a combination of them!), you might get the "unavailable" routine.
I'm glad that there's hope! Here's wishing that you can indeed get all you want.
Happy Shootin'! -Tom

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....wonder why they told me no....( did you guys tell them about me ???)
i was doing willcall...maybe i'll try to order on line...

thanks for the heads up

mike in co

pjh421
06-09-2008, 12:56 AM
I just got an e-mail from Grainger today letting me know that they've done their homework on my business and they have blessed me. Why do they even bother having a requirement...oh well I'm gonna shut up now.

They got me for shipping too. I'll write it off as a current operating expense. ha ha ha

Paul

Tom Herman
06-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm happy to report that this solder works great!
The lead takes a slightly different color on the surface (more of a blue at heat), probably due to the small percentage of copper present.
The rubber meets the road when I cast the bullets: They cast like a charm! No difference between Tin from another source.
Thanks again, Jerry!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

mike in co
06-17-2008, 04:48 PM
colorado only had one lb in stock. it was sent to a local store for me to pick up. this is where i got the "sold out" info.
there is a bunch still available. if in your state, do a local pick up no shipping.
i just had 10 rolls shipped in from oklahoma...all of 6 bucks for the shipping...so i'am at about 7.50 a lb for my tin....

mike in co

CALL911
06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
thanks guys I done got me 10# also :drinks:

GLL
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I just picked up 10 pounds at my local store (about six blocks away). They had 23 pounds in stock !

The clerk checked all of the nearby stores and each had 15-25 pounds available. The Los Angeles area has MANY Grainger stores ! :)

Between my old stash and this 10 pounds I have a lifetime supply ( I am pretty old though) !

Thanks for the heads-up !

Jerry

DAFzipper
06-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Just ordered 10 pounds!

copdills
07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I called 07-05-2008 a very nice young lady told me they had alot on hand now and I ordered 10 lbs but now that may have been just my area South Carolina

good Luck copdills