PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cleaning ?

Boaz
08-13-2016, 08:05 AM
My old gun cleaning set is totally worn out , used it many many years . What is the best rifle/pistol combo kit out there right now . Thanks !

LUCKYDAWG13
08-13-2016, 09:05 AM
I like one peace rods like http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/gun-maintenance/cleaning-kits-accessories%7C/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104270580/dewey-coated-cleaning-rods/739958.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclean ing-kits-accessories%2F_%2FN-1102325%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104270580

dragon813gt
08-13-2016, 09:39 AM
My "kit" is made up of various parts and pieces from different manufacturers. It's the only way you will get exactly what you want. Most of the inclusive kits have a bunch of parts you will never use. I use Tipton carbon fiber rods, brass jags, and an assortment of nylon and bronze brushes.

Pine Baron
08-13-2016, 09:49 AM
I just replace the bits and pieces (mops, brushes, etc.) as I need them, Outers, Hoppes, heck I even have Milsurp odds and ends. I still have/use my original Outers 3-piece aluminum rod in the plastic snap sleeve (got to be 40 years old). Amazon is your friend.
Confession time. I can't get rid of anything, you never know when you might need it for something.:redneck:

mold maker
08-13-2016, 12:30 PM
I just replace the bits and pieces (mops, brushes, etc.) as I need them, Outers, Hoppes, heck I even have Milsurp odds and ends. I still have/use my original Outers 3-piece aluminum rod in the plastic snap sleeve (got to be 40 years old). Amazon is your friend.
Confession time. I can't get rid of anything, you never know when you might need it for something.:redneck:

Not till you finally chuck it. I think it's an obscure part of Murphey's Law.

beezapilot
08-13-2016, 02:50 PM
For what it is worth, I tried out the orange squeegies from Remington in my shotguns- man!!! They do a great job- I know they make them for rifles/ pistols, but have never tried them out. The rest of my stuff is just from yardsales...

wv109323
08-13-2016, 05:57 PM
I think the best kit would be put together from multiple manufacturers. I would recommend one piece coated rods for rifle and pistols with rod guides to keep the rod off the rifling. Any bronze brush along with caliber specific jags. Brushes and patches can be bought in bulk to save money. You can buy the solvent of choice,but I will not join that argument as to the best. I bought 16 OZ. of Hoppes No.9 for $10.00.

DerekP Houston
08-13-2016, 06:16 PM
I started buying brass/bronze? jags and slotted ends for my kits. The cheaper rods still work fine but the plastic parts were wearing out too quickly for my tastes. Since i do a lot of cleaning (multiple guns each trip) I found it worthwhile to invest in slightly higher quality parts. Those bronze brushes wear out quickly though, is there a brand that stands up to repeated chamber scrubbing more often? The regular 'academy' type (I think hoppes) seem very soft to me.

I've been cutting up my older cotton shirts that are worn out for patches, seems to work just fine.

NC_JEFF
08-13-2016, 06:23 PM
I've got cleaning kits that have never been opened and a cleaning box that has tips that I no longer have a rod to fit, but like the rest of us, I might be able to use them someday so they stay. I too like to buy my "go to" cleaning parts and so!vents one at a time.

country gent
08-13-2016, 06:40 PM
A good cleaning kit is a joy to use a cheap one or "making do" can be a pain and hassel everytime. Good one piece rods coated or uncoated as to preference longer than needed work well and are great to use. Dewey, Montana extreme, Parker Hales and others, have handles that rotate freely and work well. I perfer 44" but also have a 56" long rod for most rifles when cleaning from the breech end.If the rifle need to be cleaned from the muzzle then closer to barrel length is better. I also recomend caliber specific rods, a 22 caliber rod will clean 45 caliber rifles. But there is alot more flex to the rod when tight fitting brushes and jags are used. Brushes are expendable and the brass cored broze bristles are perfered. Brushes may wear some but they lose their set and spring much faster when pushed and pulled. Reversing a brush in the bore is sidden death as it tends to crush the wires when going over center. Thhhe other killer of brass brushes is the copper cleaners used with most firearms. This works on the brushes as long as it is there using them or not. Spray out the brushes when done with slovent ( not bore cleaners) or soap water. This removes the chemicals that work on the bronze bristles. Chamber cleaning a good nylon brush holds up better as the bristles have more spring back to them. Jags can be wrap or pierce style and its some experimenting here to find the right combination of jag and patch to get the right fit. Wrap jags can clean very well and scrub a bore nicely but if you dont have the propper fit the corners of the rifling may not be gotten as good. A push or pierce jag is fussier to patch fit and does do a good job, but if you want to scrup or JB bore clean scrubbing back and forth the patch will come of or bunch at the muzzle reversing stroke. For a dedicated cleaning kit a good rod, one piece, caliber specific, and on the long side. a good bronze brush with brass core threaded to fit the rod. A couple jags one wrapp style and one push style. Good flannel patches these have a coarse side and a soft side. Rags and an oil cloth. A dedicated oil cloth stored in a ziplock bag saves alot of oil once its fully treated. Another nice addition for rifles and shotguns is a cleaning cradle

Boaz
08-13-2016, 06:59 PM
My main kit started as mainly Hoppes but mostly specific brushes , jags , whatever . Too many different size threads , too many adaptors , screw together aluminum rods are all thread worn . I was cleaning a couple of pistols the other day after the range and finally figured out just about everything is used up . Still got a three piece Sears 3/8 rod I got in a kit when I was 8 years old to clean my 410 shotgun that had been grandpaws , lol .

The different thread and adaptors drive me nuts with the different accessories and necessity's.

joelpend
08-13-2016, 07:52 PM
IMO the kits are not for a serious shooter/gun owner. I only use one piece rods and I like certain types of jags, patches, brushes & etc that you don't get in a kit.

JSnover
08-13-2016, 08:25 PM
I wasted enough money on the latest and greatest fad kits years ago, saved the best parts, bought some good rods, now all I do is buy the parts I need and keep all of it in the top drawer of my bench.
A .30 cal ammo can holds a smaller collection for the range, plus a handful of just-in-case tools.

w5pv
08-14-2016, 08:20 AM
I use Kano Kroil and a low pressure air gun to clean my guns with. After I get that Canuba shine in my barrel I use a chamber brush every so often to keep the chamber clean

DerekP Houston
08-14-2016, 08:23 AM
....I found 3 qts of ATF in my garage and mixed a lil marvel mystery oil in. I've got a shelf full of solvents and potions that rarely worked any better, and now I have enough I can just disassemble my revolvers and let them soak in a jar full of it.