PDA

View Full Version : Another Glock for me!

W.R.Buchanan
08-13-2016, 12:31 AM
Well a couple of weeks ago I went into one of my LGS's and was talking about something about Trump and noticed a Glock in the case below me. I'd been wanting a G27 in .40S&W but hadn't gotten that close to one.

At first I thought it was a Glock 26 or27 or 30 but then I saw it said 36 on the slide and I knew immediately what it was.

Yes it was in fact a Glock 36 which is a Single Stack Glock 30 with a narrower slide and grip. This one had a Pearce Mag Extension on one of the mags it so you could actually hold onto it, and it also increases the capacity to 7+1.

By the way it is .45 ACP! AT $450 it was a bargain. I snapped it up Post Haste!

While I was waiting for it to come out of DROS, I procured 2 more mags and a Bladetech Holster and a Extended Mag Catch.

I picked it up yesterday and brought it home and did my standard Glock Detail of taking it all apart and cleaning everything.

The gun had been shot, and it was dirty, but it is far from needing any new parts and it cleaned up perfectly. It also came with Neato Night Sights, which still work.(although so far they make me go Cross Eyed)

Dry Firing the gun so far it works exactly like my other Glocks and the trigger is identical to the others. The only issue I have is that the I can't get an Extended Slide Catch for it. I tried to mod a G37 one but it broke during the process. I'll live with the stock one for now.

The gun feels good! I can't wait to shoot it.

Randy

jrayborn
08-13-2016, 08:47 AM
I love my G-36. Mine is well used and comfortable after a grip reduction. Good snag on yours!

osteodoc08
08-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Looks great. I prefer my smiths but the glocks are good too.

randyrat
08-13-2016, 11:30 AM
I like it! For 450 it was a real good deal..I see even the Glock guns are going way up in price.

3leggedturtle
08-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Friend had one like that. It very accurate with little recoil. Hope you enjoy the heck,out of it. Todd

dverna
08-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I never thought I would own one of those plastic *** guns.....now I have three. They just work and work well. Exactly what a self defense gun MUST do.

Went through a self defense class firing 600+ rounds with a nearly new one and not one failure. Scored in the top 3% with it.

W.R.Buchanan
08-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Yes some of the purists amongst us just can't get behind the Glock system,,,, Until they actually shoot one enough to see why they are what they are.

The Reliability of these guns is way up there, but the real strong point is the fact that they are the simplest guns there is to learn how to shoot. If you are new to Defensive Pistol Shooting they allow you to learn the basics of the guns operation quickly so that you can concentrate on your presentation, sight alignment, and trigger control sooner than with other systems. All these things are more important to self preservation than just running the gun, but running the gun needs to be there before you can shoot the gun.

Glocks are a fact of life and will be for a long time, and they are deeply engrained in our society and the majority of police forces use them. 90% of the pistols you see on TV are Glocks and the above reason of being able to teach a Movie Star how to run one in a short amount of time is why.

I highly recommend that any of you disbelievers open you minds and get on the Glock Train.

What I found after starting out with a more complex pistol and failing miserably, was that dropping back to Glocks Basics and learning them, made it so that I can now run and shoot a more complex gun much better than if I had just stuck with it and suffered thru a learning curve,,, that I didn't have the basics in place well enough to be successful at.

The two things you must master with any Semi Auto Weapon is Inserting or Dropping a Magazine and Locking the Slide or Bolt open.

There are only 3 things you can do with a Glock. Insert or Drop Mag, Rack Slide, and Pull Trigger. More complex guns with external safeties, or de-cockers only add to those three things, and thus make it more difficult to learn how to actually hit something with the gun.

Running the gun must be second nature as you don't have time to think about it.

There in lies the beauty of the Glock.

I can shoot all three of mine interchangeably as the controls are identical, the trigger pull is identical and the operation of the guns is identical. I have other guns, but I wouldn't be taking them to a fight.

Hopefully I have bored you into submission.

Randy

EMC45
08-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Really enjoy mine.

nicholst55
08-14-2016, 12:20 AM
At one time I owned both a G36 and an S&W M&P 45C. I still own the S&W. For me, the ergonomics of the S&W were just so much better than the Glock, that there was no comparison. The Glock was almost identical in size to the S&W, yet it holds two less rounds. In fact, the S&W double-stack mags fit perfectly into the Glock's single stack mag well! I tried to like the Glock - I really did! I just couldn't force myself to do it.

Added to all that, there are essentially no aftermarket parts for the G36. Pretty much you use it as-is, or not at all.

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Nicks... The Pearce Grips Extensions and the Extended Mag Catch were the two things I really needed for this gun. I'd like a Extended Slide Catch, but can live without it just fine. I got a Blade-Tech Holster in 2 days and the extra mags were available at 15 different places.

As far as After Market Internal Glock parts,,, I tend to stay away. And the reason why is most of the ones I have installed on my previous guns have failed. With the exception of Extended Mag Catches, Different Sights, and a Mag well for my G35, every other internal part IE: reduced power springs , lower power connectors, Recoil springs etc. have all failed quickly.

I only use stock Glock internal parts for my guns now and have no problems with them. I live near ZEV which used to be Glock Works, nothing they make is any significant improvement over the stock parts they replace. I have handled their test guns and was only impressed with a G23 that they had built which felt really good in my hands. I liked the forward serrations on the slide, However I could live without them and have. I was actually looking for a G23 when I ran into this G36, and after shooting it a hundred times at the TV last night I am really liking the feel of the gun.

Will be loading a bunch of ammo today so I can shoot it. Looked in vain for some .45ACP in my ammo cabinet so I have to set up the D550 and get busy.

Anyway If you like your M&P better that's fine. The great thing about America is that we all can choose to play with whatever we want ,,, or can afford.

Randy

FergusonTO35
08-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I have a 19, 26, and 42; currently saving for a 43.

tejano
08-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Now if only Glock would make us one in .32 acp. :bigsmyl2:

mcdaniel.mac
08-15-2016, 01:07 PM
I was thinking the other day that if the Browning-style action could be retained in lieu of straight blowback, a .32 ACP Glock in a Compact (19/23/32) frame would be a nice alternative for shooters with less hand strength. There are some nicely disruptive bullets for the caliber.

roysha
08-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Well a couple of weeks ago I went into one of my LGS's and was talking about something about Trump and noticed a Glock in the case below me. I'd been wanting a G27 in .40S&W but hadn't gotten that close to one.

At first I thought it was a Glock 26 or27 or 30 but then I saw it said 36 on the slide and I knew immediately what it was.

Yes it was in fact a Glock 36 which is a Single Stack Glock 30 with a narrower slide and grip. This one had a Pearce Mag Extension on one of the mags it so you could actually hold onto it, and it also increases the capacity to 7+1.

By the way it is .45 ACP! AT $450 it was a bargain. I snapped it up Post Haste!

While I was waiting for it to come out of DROS, I procured 2 more mags and a Bladetech Holster and a Extended Mag Catch.

I picked it up yesterday and brought it home and did my standard Glock Detail of taking it all apart and cleaning everything.

The gun had been shot, and it was dirty, but it is far from needing any new parts and it cleaned up perfectly. It also came with Neato Night Sights, which still work.(although so far they make me go Cross Eyed)

Dry Firing the gun so far it works exactly like my other Glocks and the trigger is identical to the others. The only issue I have is that the I can't get an Extended Slide Catch for it. I tried to mod a G37 one but it broke during the process. I'll live with the stock one for now.

The gun feels good! I can't wait to shoot it.

Randy

Some people are just gluttons for punishment and others just seem to never learn. Oh well.[smilie=l:

Plate plinker
08-15-2016, 09:02 PM
One leads to another and another. Good grab.:Fire:

FergusonTO35
08-15-2016, 10:50 PM

As much as I like the .32 Auto I would only buy one if it was truly pocket size, as in Kel-Tec/ LCP. Glock hit it out of the park with the 42, hard to imagine a more perfectly matched gun and cartridge.

Brandi
08-17-2016, 01:22 AM
I'd like to try a G36, I'm a big fan of the G21 and .45acp Glocks in general.

I bought my first G21, a gen 1, back when I was a LEO and I was hooked. Not pretty guns but very reliable, accurate, insanely tough and due to their simplicity, perfect guns for law enforcement. I sold my first G21 but later bought a Gen 3 G21 with night sights to take it's place. The only downfall of Glocks is that when they are not in your hand they need to be in a holster or have the trigger secured in some manner. That's not a big problem and a small issue when compared to what you get in return. My sister has a G30, which is the thicker and higher capacity father of the G36. There aren't a lot of social problems of the bad guy variety that can't be solved with the judicious application of the .45acp.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2016, 06:38 AM
what id like to see is a glock about the size of a lcp 380 in 380 .32 or even .25. The lcps are decent guns. I own two of them. Probably with me is there stamped ruger and that just doesn't inspire confidence like a glock would.
As much as I like the .32 Auto I would only buy one if it was truly pocket size, as in Kel-Tec/ LCP. Glock hit it out of the park with the 42, hard to imagine a more perfectly matched gun and cartridge.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2016, 06:42 AM
I own and love my M&P 45 compact. Its probably my favorite black gun. That said id have to say this little glock is going to be a bit more concealable. At least without and huge mag extension on it. My buddy has one of the 36 glocks and id say its probably a closer comparison to one of the new shield 45s.
At one time I owned both a G36 and an S&W M&P 45C. I still own the S&W. For me, the ergonomics of the S&W were just so much better than the Glock, that there was no comparison. The Glock was almost identical in size to the S&W, yet it holds two less rounds. In fact, the S&W double-stack mags fit perfectly into the Glock's single stack mag well! I tried to like the Glock - I really did! I just couldn't force myself to do it.

Added to all that, there are essentially no aftermarket parts for the G36. Pretty much you use it as-is, or not at all.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2016, 02:54 PM
LLoyd: my Bro in Law has a Kel-Tec 3AT and a G42. I have shot both and the G42 is much more controllable, but the KT (which is nearly identical to the LCP) conceals better but is harder to hit with beyond 10 yards.

So it's kind of a wash. I personally like the G42 better but they are harder to get in CA as they are LE only and the only way to get one is to either find someone who is selling them as single shots, or buy a used one. My bro in law bought his as a dedicated single shot, and then he went back the next day and traded the Single Shot Barrel back to the shop for the regular G42 barrel. That is what they had to do to get around the CA BS Laws.

I am running the mag extension on all my mags simply because I want the extra grip surface for controllability. I don't have a CCW so concealing it is not an issue for me. I should get to shoot the thing this weekend as I just finished loading 500 rounds on the 550B last night and now have .45ACP ammo. I report back my impressions of the gun after I actually shoot the thing.

I am very optimistic so far as all my dry firing is showing promise as to sight alignment at the point of trigger break. It feels good.

Randy

Electric88
08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
I see my local gunstore has a lightly used 36 for $430. Too bad I just spent all of my gun money already lol

Lloyd Smale
08-19-2016, 07:20 AM
buying guns is tough for me too anymore but I guess its at least not my states stupid laws that are doing it, its lack of money. Anymore I have to about trade for any gun I get so few come along that grab my interest enough to buy. That said a compact single stack glock 45acp might just call to me.
LLoyd: my Bro in Law has a Kel-Tec 3AT and a G42. I have shot both and the G42 is much more controllable, but the KT (which is nearly identical to the LCP) conceals better but is harder to hit with beyond 10 yards.

So it's kind of a wash. I personally like the G42 better but they are harder to get in CA as they are LE only and the only way to get one is to either find someone who is selling them as single shots, or buy a used one. My bro in law bought his as a dedicated single shot, and then he went back the next day and traded the Single Shot Barrel back to the shop for the regular G42 barrel. That is what they had to do to get around the CA BS Laws.

I am running the mag extension on all my mags simply because I want the extra grip surface for controllability. I don't have a CCW so concealing it is not an issue for me. I should get to shoot the thing this weekend as I just finished loading 500 rounds on the 550B last night and now have .45ACP ammo. I report back my impressions of the gun after I actually shoot the thing.

I am very optimistic so far as all my dry firing is showing promise as to sight alignment at the point of trigger break. It feels good.

Randy

Petrol & Powder
08-19-2016, 09:11 AM
I was never a Glock hater but for many years I just didn't care for them. As time went by I learned more about the design, I shot them more, I worked on them and learned to respect the design. The beauty of a Glock is manifested in its functioning not its appearance. They are remarkably reliable pistols and very durable. Their simplicity is an inherent part of that beauty.

There are some people that just HAVE to hate Glocks. Most of them don't even know why they hate them, they just know they're supposed to hate them, so they do.
I've heard all of the dinosaur's justifications for that hatred: plastic frame, no manual safety, it's ugly, blah, blah, blah..... I find none of the justifications for Glock hatred to be persuasive. (Ok, maybe they are a bit ugly but they work !!)

The one argument that seems to be the centerpiece for most devote Glock haters is the lack of a manual safety. There seems to be a group of people that want as many switches, buttons and levers on a device as they can get. I prefer simple over complex, particularly on a tool that is relied upon for emergency situations. I don't want a fire extinguisher that requires the user to manipulate a lot of controls in order to use it. Pull pin, point, squeeze handles seems to be a pretty good compromise between avoiding an accidental discharge with a fire extinguisher and ease of use under stress. A pistol carried for self defense should follow the same lines.
While it is true that some handgun designs need a manual safety that doesn't mean all handguns need a manual safety.

The Glock Model 36 is a good tool. Fairly compact, good cartridge, simple, reliable, durable, simple, lightweight,..did I mention it's simple? [smilie=s:

FergusonTO35
08-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Never understood the whole Glock is ugly thing. They are plain looking for sure, but the spartan contours with a minimum of wording and controls is appealing to me. They look way better than the horendous Sig 250 and 300 series. These guns have odd lumps, bumps, and ridges going in different directions along with a big ugly corrugated accessory rail on the dust cover. Totally unlike the handsome P220 series prior to the addition of the rail.

jmort
08-19-2016, 09:48 AM
I don't see it as Glock haters, I see it as touchy, thin-skinned Glock Fan Boys who insist that everyone be in lock-step. If you like your Glock you can keep your Glock, I heard obama say it, so it is true. Glock-on dudes.

brtelec
08-19-2016, 10:34 AM
I learned to appreciate the Glock design selling them in the 80's. It was a constant stream of people voicing their opinions about plastic guns and how they were designed to evade airport security. I have never thought they were particularly attractive pieces, but the beauty is in the simplicity and reliability. Sigs, 1911s, berettas are guns you show to your friends. Glocks are guns you show to your enemies. The biggest thing for me is why anyone gives a **** what anyone chooses to bet their life on. Who cares.

jmort
08-19-2016, 10:42 AM
"Glocks are guns you show to your enemies."

That is a good tag line.

brtelec
08-19-2016, 10:51 AM
"Glocks are guns you show to your enemies."

That is a good tag line.

I was told this by the Glock rep back in the 80's

frkelly74
08-19-2016, 11:21 AM
When Jane Pauly was on the Today show there was a segment on the newly designed plastic pistol that was becoming available to the ( gasp !!! ) public. She concluded that because they were plastic, anyone could get through a metal detector with one and it would no longer be safe to fly on airplanes. It was funny to see her go almost speechless. I will get one eventually. There is a shop near me that sells off police trade ins reasonably, i'm saving up now, and should have already taken care of THIS.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Well I shot mine today and other than t3he fact it doesn't like having 7 rounds stuffed in the mag and won't close the slide on it, it runs 6 just fine.

The recoil is no worse than my G21SF and very controllable. I shot at a bunch of rocks laying around at different ranges and had no problem getting close to each one and if I actually lined the sights up correctly they were all good hits.

Since I was shooting after my Short Range Silhouette Shoot I ended off by shooting at a line of Chickens at 50 meters. I was within a foot of 4 of them and actually hit the last one dead center. Not bad for 55 yards!

So anyway I've got to figure out why it doesn't want to feed the second round when the mags are loaded to 7 rounds and I'll be good to go with it.

This gun is not hard at all to shoot and with some practice I can get good with it.

Randy