PDA

View Full Version : Another Rio medal for Miss Rhode

rking22
08-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Don't know if this is the right sub forum, but anyway..
Kim Rhode won a Bronze in Skeet today, her 6th consecutive Olympic podium finish. She is the only lady Olympian to achieve this and only one other man has done it! Her teammate, Morgan Craft, made the finals as well and finished 5th in her first visit to the Olympics. Morgan is the current ladies world champion at age 23.
The men are finishing tomorrow , Vincent Hancock is looking for a 3rd straight Olympic Gold in skeet and his teammate ,Frank Thompson, is making his second Olympic appearance in Rio.
We also can thank Corey Cogdell for a Bronze in Ladies Trap at Rio, her 2nd, I believe! And the airgunners are doing well also.

Can't understand the lack of media interest in these talented folks, just doesn't fit their agenda I guess. A shame, it is !

Plate plinker
08-12-2016, 09:00 PM
They are all biased hacks.(The media)

CGT80
08-12-2016, 09:04 PM
That is great news.

I met Kim while I was at Prado Range shooting skeet one day, just before the 2012 Olympics. She made it look effortless, as she got in her 500-1000 birds per day for practice.

I don't watch much media, but somehow I don't think it fits their agenda to show the positive side to this country's history with firearms. Many of us are like Kim and just enjoy pushing our skills and having a good time, even if we can only dream of being as good as her, yet we hang on to the 2A not only for recreation, but because it is a right that plays in the the checks and balances of how our country works. Ratings are better when they talk about the killing machine that Kim puts up to her shoulder...................yes, it has killed countless numbers of clay targets.

osteodoc08
08-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Congrats to them and it is a shame that they are not receiving the same media coverage, just a subtitle mention at best. It truly is a dishonor to them and really, to our country to not cover this.

bdicki
08-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Hard to believe but I watched the women's skeet on MSNBC this afternoon.

rking22
08-12-2016, 10:51 PM
bdicki,, outstanding, I looked for it but was unsuccessful. It took quite a while to find the finals results, but then my google-foo is not so strong as some :)
Glad it was televised here, I will find it on ISSFTV and watch the "rerun". I was on the skeet field with a young lady who has met Kim and is learning international skeet. Hopefully some time soon I can make a post about her time on the podium. I consider Morgan a friend, my son and I have shot competitions with her since she started, and hosted her at our club. They both received their first USA team vests the same year, you meet the nicest people at shooting competitions, good memories for sure :)

Men are not doing so well, down 4 and 6 birds out of the first 75. 50 more tomorrow then finals. Keeping the fingers crossed for them!

Three44s
08-13-2016, 12:54 AM
Little do the media hacks know, but in a tyrannical regime some of the first to get locked up are the very media that helped them get in power!

Three 44s

PbHurler
08-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Congratulations to Kim! She's a class act.

RogerDat
08-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Little do the media hacks know, but in a tyrannical regime some of the first to get locked up are the very media that helped them get in power!

Three 44s

Been watching and that is exactly that happen in Egypt and now Turkey with their press. I saw some Olympics coverage and interviews with female air gun competitor, decent questions about the sport, what were the challenges, and upcoming competitions she was entered in. Think a lot of the difference in coverage has to do with audience. Lot more schools have swimming, track and field, or volleyball than skeet or trap.

There is also probably some consideration given by broadcasting to if shooting sports coverage might cause some viewers to switch to watching something else. Some folks don't "do" do guns or shooting, others actively don't like it. Who doesn't like women's beach volleyball? I recall watching archery for one of the games, wife wondered off. Gymnastics or swimming she will hang out for, and put a death grip on remote I might add. Granddaughter is on swim team, and she likes gymnastics and volleyball. Wife did those in her youth. She shoots but just occasional target shooting, so shooting sport probably won't hold her interest. With the internet streaming and cable on-demand I would think one could find every competition if one looked for it. Most broadcast media (MSM) is going to go for the most mainstream coverage. Heck one of the kids was watching fencing on some cable channel while we were watching swimming.

cjensen
08-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Three 44s
They are referred to as "useful idiots". And yes, it is desirable to eliminate their whinny loud mouths when they have out lived their usefulness.

Denver
08-13-2016, 10:28 AM
I haven't been able to watch any of the Olympic shooting events this year. I believe they shoot international style skeet where the gun is held low off the shoulder, can not be raised until the bird is released. and the target release can be delayed for up to 3 seconds after the target is called for. In addition, the targets are thrown at longer distances and at higher speed than conventional skeet. Not an easy game.

quilbilly
08-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Love hearing about this. Our archery people have been doing well too. One of the reason the U.S. doesn't do well in biathlon in the winter games is the PC bias of the media hacks. I have officiated at biathlon events in the past and the reason we can't do well in the sport is the U.S. has such poor shooters due to lack of media support.

beezapilot
08-13-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm disappointed that there is not more coverage of all the gold medal winners, not just the ones in the PC games.

Here is an odd little Olympic foot note....

http://hclib.tumblr.com/post/7129115768/the-1912-summer-olympics-games-in-stockholm

CGT80
08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
I haven't been able to watch any of the Olympic shooting events this year. I believe they shoot international style skeet where the gun is held low off the shoulder, can not be raised until the bird is released. and the target release can be delayed for up to 3 seconds after the target is called for. In addition, the targets are thrown at longer distances and at higher speed than conventional skeet. Not an easy game.

Yes, what most of us shoot is called American Skeet, from what I recall. My dad, brother, and I were shooting American Skeet at Prado and this woman came over and let us know that the Prado RO's were going to boot us off that field and she apologized for the inconvenience. She said that was the only field that was currently able to be setup to meet regulations so she could practice International Skeet.......and of course, that was Kim Rhode who started up that conversation. I had no idea who she was since I don't follow any sports and I end up bored out of my mine even when watching others shoot. It was a cool experience to learn who she was and find out how down to Earth she is. Yes, I did catch some videos of her shooting at the Olympics in 2012 and was rooting for her, as it was a little more personal once someone clued me into who I ran into.

MT Chambers
08-16-2016, 12:31 AM
She's a hell of a shot but people like her should insert themselves into the media to promote shooting and the legal uses of guns, maybe the media would listen.

rking22
08-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Actually she has. There was a headline about her vocal support of the 2nd during an interview prior to the Olympics. Didn't stay up long and I missed reading/listening to it. They really hate to have an intelligent and well spoken lady make them look foolish :)

Col4570
08-18-2016, 02:59 AM
I have enjoyed the Olympic Shooting events but there has been little coverage in comparison to athletics.

Half Dog
08-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Do all of the medalists receive the same pay for their particular medal or does popularity factor in?

The Governor
08-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Congratulations Kim Rhode! USA! USA! USA!

xs11jack
08-19-2016, 09:20 PM
I don't follow the Olympics at all but my wife follows alot. She told me yesterday that there was a american lady that has shot in 6 Olympics in 5 different counties, that is a 24 year span, and has won a gold metal in everyone. Is this Kim Rhodes?? She said that she couldn't fined one decent story on TV about this.
Ole Jack

jonp
08-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Our greatest Olympian in a now un-PC sport.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/kim-rhode-wins-sixth-consecutive-medal-makes-history

Kim Rhode: Six Shooter

August 12, 2016
at 3:10pm ET By: Matthew Micali

Italy's Diana Bacosi wins gold in women's skeet. USA's Kim Rhode earned bronze, and her record sixth consecutive individual medal.
In an all-Italian gold medal match, Diana Bacosi defeated compatriot Chiara Cainero to win the women’s skeet event.
U.S. shooter Kim Rhode, who won the bronze medal match, is the story of the finals, however.
Rhode became the first Summer Olympian to win six consecutive individual medals, a feat that had only been done by Italian luger Armin Zoeggeler.
After the semifinal, Rhode met fellow American Morgan Craft and China’s Wei Meng in a sudden death shoot off to see who’d advance bronze medal match. Craft, the 23-year-old No. 2-ranked skeet shooter in the world, was ultimately defeated.
In the bronze medal match, Rhode, 37, and Meng, 27, were tied at 15 apiece, and they headed to another sudden death shoot off. After trading hits and misses, Rhode won in the fourth round.
Rhode's first medal was a gold medal in double trap at the 1996 Atlanta Games. She then went on to win bronze in the event at the 2000 Sydney Games, before taking back her double trap gold at the 2004 Athens Games -- the last year of women's double trap at the Summer Olympics.
Rhode then decided to take on skeet shooting, and she won silver in the event at the 2008 Beijing Games. She took gold at the 2012 London Games, and today's bronze gives her the six straight podium finishes.
Another interesting note: Rhode is the first-ever Olympian to medal on five different continents.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/sites/default/files/styles/951x536_rectangle/public/field_image/13August2016/812_sh_3639_wskeetmedal.jpg?itok=OMrltG4HWomen's Skeet Final Medal Ceremony (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/skeet-final-medal-ceremony-rio?chrcontext=goldenmoments)

Heading into the gold medal match, Cainero, 38, had hit 16 of 16 in the semifinal. Bacosi, 33, had hit 15 to book her place in the gold medal match.
Cainero, the gold medalist in the event in 2008, slightly lost her form, only hitting 14 of 16 in the gold medal match. Bacosi repeated her semifinal perofrmance with 15 on target to earn her first Olympic medal.
With the gold and silver medals, Italy now has five total shooting medals in Rio.