PDA

View Full Version : Enco lathes, all thread

georgeld
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok guys:
Grainger finally got that hunk of 1 1/2" x12tpi all thread in for me. Am on the way to turning lead wire dies before long. Let you know how it works.

Any suggestions on dia I should produce wire??

-----------
Made a deal for a 13x40 Enco lathe today. Same as the M#510-2591 they said on the ph. This one seems to be very little used, but ,left oily so needs some cleaning. Some tools not seen, may be in storage they were not sure what all is supposed to go with it. I gave them a short list and they'll look for it. Re: 4 jaw, centers, MT collars are about all I noticed wasn't there.
Tool posts and several types too, box of tool bits and some boring bars and other things.

Catalog lists this number for $2700. Made the deal for $1200 and they'll load it for me. On or before June 10th.

Anyone here have Enco experience? I'd like to hear the details, good, bad, terrible as it may be. Do you think this is a good price? The size and price are about what I've been looking for. IF the quality is there and I believe it should be.

What should I watch for?
Thank you,

Sig shooter
06-01-2008, 08:00 AM
The Enco stuff is a good value , check the bed closely . When you get it home adjust the Gibs / dovetail , normally its a bit loose . Be careful cleaning the threading number chart as it can be wiped off with some thinners / cleaners . Run a test long cut between centers ,, to check the tail stock centering .

Even newer units had fish oil in the gearbox . We had the same rig at work , the cabinet makes a buzz when the doors don't latch tight .

I would invest in a quick change tool post .

georgeld
06-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Will take the base unit off as I don't have floor space after building a 34' long bench that would hold up a loaded semi. 2" lam planks, w1/8" steel top. Got mighty lucky when gathering materials a few times, this was given to me for the hauling and they even loaded the planks! Wish I hadn't given so much of it away, could have decked the rest of the shop's attic floor with it too.

There's already the quick change tool post, and box full of goodies. Only things I couldn't see was the 4 jaw, and live centers, or drill chuck. Be nice if he can find them, but, if not, they're not out of reach.

This thing hasn't been used very much, even though it's a 1994 mfg date. Size of the cord, bet it's 220v too. I'm wired for it.

Same as the: #510-2591, believe I gave the wrong number the other night. Same as 2585 only has the base to change the number. Actual number on the machine is: 110-1340

I'll keep that in mind about the dial. It looked good. I twisted and turned everything best I could to make sure it was all tight and couldn't detect any movement anywhere, not in the tail stock, or carriage at all. Looked and felt real close on the ways, full length and didn't feel not even one bump or nick. Not even under the chuck where they get iron dropped on them so much. Only thing wrong I saw is the last guy didn't wipe the oil off the ways and it's dried hard. Though I wonder if maybe he didn't do that to keep it from rusting. Will ask if I think of it. Never thought of that til just now. I'm tickled with the condition so far, and price too. $1200 seems to be a pretty good price compared to new catalog.

This is just for my hobby shop. Since the back surgery in 05, I'm not into the production stuff any longer. Til then, I did a lot of things out there. built this shop to work in, now this, kinda sucks.

One major question I need to know sooner than later.

Where/how do it sling it when picking it up? Will most likely haul it home on it's base, then take that off and lift it by chainfall onto the bench top. I can rig up anything if I know what to do. Will keep the drip pan under it and make up a back splash panel at a buddies tin shop to keep the crap from going behind it too much.

Thanks for the help, do appreciate it.

Buckshot
06-02-2008, 04:26 AM
One major question I need to know sooner than later.

Where/how do it sling it when picking it up? Will most likely haul it home on it's base, then take that off and lift it by chainfall onto the bench top.

Thanks for the help, do appreciate it.

..........Use nylon straps. It probably has a gap bed (seems ALL those Asian lathes have one) so I don't know how close you can get to the headstock to rig the sling or actually WHERE the balance point will be. Since the motor and all are at the headstock end undoubtetly you'll be up close to it. Probably have to run the carriage back away from it some.

Rig the straps around the outside of the bed rails and then up between them and between the bed stiffeners as close to the headstock as possible and take a strain to see what it wants to do, and then adjust from there. Be sure to pad the straps where they come around the corners at the bottoms of the bed rails. Don't raise it any further off the ground then absolutely necessary.

..............Buckshot

georgeld
06-03-2008, 01:20 AM
ok, sounds good, appreciate it.
Motor's behind the gearbox. Book claims it's 1360lbs so it's plenty heavy.
I've got truckers straps and several 1" straps too. I can balance it even if a hunk of lead has to be added to the tailend somewhere.

Should be toward the end of the week when I can get it. Need to locate a flatbed trl to haul it on as there's a shell on my trk, and work trk has a ladder rack and their ceiling isn't high enough to get that one in there. Trailer would be best anyway. Only about a mile or touch over in town to haul it. So no big deal there.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.