PDA

View Full Version : Darn computer virus.

Freightman
08-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Has me back on my old computer from 1999 till I can ge the new one fixed it will not let me in at all so have to take it to someone smarter than I am. O-well like XP better than 10 anyhow

44man
08-11-2016, 11:59 AM
I upgraded to 10 and it is OK. Just don't go on the cloud. XP is not supported with updates. Too old.
I have no trouble with 10.

yenningComity
08-11-2016, 12:40 PM
XP is more likely to get a virus these days. Plenty of old ones out there that never got patched due to support ending. Play it safe till you get your other computer fixed or you will be hosed on both.

Preacher Jim
08-11-2016, 01:18 PM
10 was a nightmare went 7pro

yenningComity
08-11-2016, 01:26 PM
10 was a nightmare went 7pro

Why is 10 a nightmare? I've used everything back to 3.1. XP 64 bit was the worst followed by ME. Vista was a real resource hog when it came out. 8.1 still feels half baked in the UI department. 10 gives them a marketing platform. Yeah, they botched the launch by force installing it on some folks, but as an OS it seems fine.

Freightman
08-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Well till I get the 10 machine fixed I will have to take a chance or just say adios Amerigo till I get it fixed Jim will not be on chat as I am not sure this old mach. will support the latest Java.so tell the guys I ain't dead

popper
08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Can you recover using safe start? Or no screen at all. 7 & up sometimes lose your profile and won't accept a login, The bad one lets you in but redirects all programs to 'do nothing'. You can recover but it's ugly.

OBIII
08-11-2016, 04:48 PM
If you stay away from "those" sites Frank you won't have these problems. [smilie=p:
OB

farmerjim
08-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Go to Linux. You can run it off a CD (slow) to try it out and see if you like it. One of my computers has been running it daily for 10 years without a problem.

bangerjim
08-11-2016, 05:57 PM
You can see why it pays (in spades) to have an excellent all-around PURCHASED virus scanner and protection...not some of this free garbage people seem to use. I have never had a virus, worm, Trojan, or anything in the many MANY years I have trolled the net. Norton catches everything before it becomes a problem.

But you gotta have a really modern up-to-date fast machine to really use it well. All my office & personal machines are screamers with max ram, fast processors, and SSD's. Norton 360 does NOT slow things down one teeny weeny bit on any of them.

I love it! It only costs a little more to fly 1st class.

banger

Down South
08-11-2016, 08:53 PM
You can see why it pays (in spades) to have an excellent all-around PURCHASED virus scanner and protection...not some of this free garbage people seem to use. I have never had a virus, worm, Trojan, or anything in the many MANY years I have trolled the net. Norton catches everything before it becomes a problem.

But you gotta have a really modern up-to-date fast machine to really use it well. All my office & personal machines are screamers with max ram, fast processors, and SSD's. Norton 360 does NOT slow things down one teeny weeny bit on any of them.

I love it! It only costs a little more to fly 1st class.

banger
I have the same on a couple machines... No problems...